PDA

View Full Version : Triumph owner tempted by a monster

AlexG
23-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi all,

I currently have a 1999 Triumph daytona 955i and am looking for a complete change. I have a budget of about £3500 and intend to chop the daytona in. I've been considering a 2001 S4 with the 916 engine which seem to go for around this price range.

I have been riding for about 7 years and always owned Jap fours (with the exception of an Aprilia RS125 which I still have) until my current triple but have never owned a Ducati. My riding is commuting with plenty of blasts for fun and some weekend touring.

I would like to go back to a naked bike and have always fancied a monster. Love the looks but have always been a bit concerned about reliability and build quality. I know they have 'character' which is what I'm after as my Triumph has it in spades.

I don't right much in winter now and don't skimp on the cleaning/servicing so my Triumph has been pretty bomb proof. How am I likely to find a monster with this in mind?

I sometimes ride 2 up with my girlfriend what are they like for pillions?

I don't suppose anyone has an S4 for sale in the North West? I've been scouring the Auto Trader and the free ads but it looks like I'll have to travel to view them.

Finally, any other models I should be looking at? Although I don't think my budget would stretch to the S4r or S2r though.

Sorry for all the questions guys. Over to you help to convert a Triumph owner!!:thumbsup:

Cheers AlexG

CK & AK
23-03-2008, 10:17 AM
You should easily get an S4 for that money - and also possibly one of the earliest M1000's, possibly an early high mileage S4R if you can find one out there too as prices have come down a little for early models of both.
You'd have change from buying a good M900ie, which would be the cheaper option for servicing etc (aircooled over the watercooled variety)
Worth taking a look on ebay as well as the usual bike sale places :)

Pillions? - its either a resounding yes or no, there is no half way measure from those who have ridden pillion as far as I know. Usually suits the smaller ladies :)

Try & find an S4 in a dealer so you can have a test ride first - just to see if you do like them, they are an acquired taste - love them or hate 'em seems to be the flow.........

Happy shopping!

dunlop0_1
23-03-2008, 10:22 AM
In my opinion (and probably many others) you won't regret the change. However ducati's are different and nothing like inline 4's. They can take some getting used to but the rewards are far greater than any jap bike i ever owned (all 7 of em). Check out Ducati leeds at shipley or Ital sport in Bury, neither are that far away from bradford. :thumbsup:

David Matthews
23-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi Alex, and welcome. I think you'll get plenty of advice about the S4 on here. There's quite a bit of friendly rivalry between owners of air cooled and water cooled bikes. If you have trouble finding a S4, a M1000 might be an option for a similar price. They're all good bikes, nice riding position, handling, sound etc. Owned mine for about a year and can't fault it.

AlexG
23-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the quick reply CK & AK.

I'm definitely going to get a test ride first and will consider an M900ie as well if I can find a a good late one.

I do think the radiator on the water cooled S4 does spoils the looks to some extent.

I have seen a 2002 M800ie or would i be a disappointed with the power compared to my Triumph?

I'm hoping to look at some next week as I'm off Monday - Thursday and will try and get a test ride.

Thanks again

AlexG
23-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all the replies and the welcome. I've been to Cobb & Jagger who offered me £2000 for my Triumph in part ex for an S2r. Bit too pricey at £4695though.

They have an S4 at Ducati Manchester for I think £3695 so I'm going to look at that next week as I'm off Mon - Thurs. Probably go to Ital Sport in Bury at the same time as well.

I would definitely look at a M1000 but they seem a bit difficult to track down. Seems the S4 is more common?

Pedro
23-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Of the S4 and 1000, I'd go with the 1000 as power is comparable (with a power commander etc) but it's cheaper to service that the S4.

The 1000 DS motor is ace

desmo
23-03-2008, 01:21 PM
you won't be disapointed with the power of an 800, Monster's make their power in a different way to other (multi cyl) bikes, the 800 & 1000 DS engines are both brill.

Bodybag
23-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I previously owned an S4 and can safely say that I don't like the Air-cooled Monsters at all. They don't have enough mid-range grunt for me. They're too soft and fluffy in comparison with the S4. If you want an animal that will bite you if you annoy it or that will have you giggling in your helmet as you pass sportsbikes in corners then the S4 is the bike for you!!

If you like nice gentle rides with linear power and ease of use then an air-cooled 900 or M1000 are probably closer to what you need.

CK & AK
23-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the quick reply CK & AK.

I'm definitely going to get a test ride first and will consider an M900ie as well if I can find a a good late one.

I do think the radiator on the water cooled S4 does spoils the looks to some extent.

I have seen a 2002 M800ie or would i be a disappointed with the power compared to my Triumph?

I'm hoping to look at some next week as I'm off Monday - Thursday and will try and get a test ride.

Thanks again

IMHO you would find the 800 down on power to your Triumph, but it will be more nimble in the tight twisties, and the mid range will be more so than with the T - it just depends on what you want the bike for really.

You'll find the pre-slipper models fun compared to the in-line 4's, remembering to blip on the down shift etc :D

As I said before - take a good long test on a twin (any of the marque would do for starters, but if poss a pre-2005 model as it wont have the STM slipper fitted for sure) from a dealer.
I think you might be pleasantly suprised, but if not - remember it does take some up to 1000 miles to 'bond' with their Ducati........then many years to be parted from them!

CK

sadbiker
23-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Send a PM to Stafford, He was thinking of selling his S4. He recently bought a S2R1000 as he saw the light with aircooled bikes.

yes it will mean a train ride down to the South West to pick it up to take home but I am sure it would be worth it.

I am sure if you PM him he will be able to tell you everything you want to Know about S4's.

JerryXt
23-03-2008, 06:53 PM
aircooled bikes are great, but nothing beats the rush of a watercooled monster :D

sidrat
23-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I have had 5 monsters including ans4r and an s4rs, i also have a Triumph t955i. Both the S4r and S4rs would leave the triumph for dead, especially around a race track, they are a lot lumpier with even more character and very different to ride, but more upright than the race rep triumph, they will also "feel" a lot lighter, the biggest thing you will miss is the fairing, especially at speed. The triumph is a good bike, the monster though is a great bike

AlexG
23-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the advice guys , first thing's first I think is a test ride. Hope to give a monster a try this week.

Its a long time since I rode an unfaired bike, it will be interesting to see how much I will miss all that plastic and the screen.

Never used a dry clutch either which I think the S4 has?

I'm hoping to ride both an air-cooled model and a liquid cooled model before I make any sort of decision.

Maybe the S4 might be the one for me as I'm used to a bike with plenty of mid-range grunt. Quite like the sound of the air-cooled bikes as well though.

One thing I'm finding though is there seems to be loads of variations of Monster to suit just about everyone - bit confusing though, this site is a great help!

Seems to be a bit of friendly rivalry between the air-cooled and the water-cooled brigade!

Dave in USA
24-03-2008, 02:05 AM
I went from a Monster to a Bonneville!

:biggrin:

CK & AK
24-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the advice guys , first thing's first I think is a test ride. Hope to give a monster a try this week.

Go for it! :)

Never used a dry clutch either which I think the S4 has?

Correct - as do all models from 900 upwards

I'm hoping to ride both an air-cooled model and a liquid cooled model before I make any sort of decision.

Sensible chap :)

Maybe the S4 might be the one for me as I'm used to a bike with plenty of mid-range grunt. Quite like the sound of the air-cooled bikes as well though.

The bigger ones ALL have a good mid range grunt on them - the S4 is more 'raw' in its pick up

One thing I'm finding though is there seems to be loads of variations of Monster to suit just about everyone - bit confusing though, this site is a great help!

The more you read..... the more you need to read ;)

Seems to be a bit of friendly rivalry between the air-cooled and the water-cooled brigade!

Definately :D

kevm
24-03-2008, 04:45 PM
You certainly won't be disappointed. I have owned many big jap 4's and now have a M900ie and would never swap back. In 'the real world,' it is quicker than the fours, because of the way the engine produces power and it is far better on the bends!! 30 years on bikes and I would never get rid of my 'Monster.' Kev.

jerry
25-03-2008, 03:40 PM
I have an S4 its is a real love hate relationship .... When its good its the best thing ever ....but when its bad i want to kill it.I also have a M750 which is perfect fun .

Nickj
25-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Mines does a bit over a 1000 a month with no problems, we've waded through motor submerging flood water without missing a beat, skated over snow covered roads and oddly enjoyed it all.
Reliable?? Had no problems myself :)
I'd like an S4, I tried a friends that's been 'mildly' tuned, I pointed twisted and OMGKINELLSHEET, loved it LOL I was chasing one before I got the IE, but my mileage put me off a bit.
These monsters are addictive bikes, once you get your head around them you find they're far better than you thought.. beware of first impressions !

AlexG
25-03-2008, 04:25 PM
What are the bad points with an S4 Jerry, what makes you want to kill it?

I do quite a lot of miles with commuting and going out for blasts and weekends away and don't have my bike just as a toy.

I notice Nickj you said you were put off an S4 by 'your mileage' do you think an IE is more suitable for what I want.

Was going to arrange a test ride on an S2R today but Ducati Leeds had sold it!! It was a bit pricey anyway but would have at least given me a first impression of what a monster's like to ride.:)

Nickj
25-03-2008, 04:42 PM
The maintenance schedule on an S4 would have been a bit more intense than on the IE. Plus I have a bad habit of using what I have and the S4 has a 996 motor, so you're talking 110+ bhp at the back wheel. The bigger air box on the monnie and shorter induction tract = more mid range grunt. It'll do insane speeds for a naked bike, 130 in 5th and still pulling hard snick into top and oops didn't mean to be going quite that fast. If you use the throttle you'll have minimal front tyre wear but shred the rear quite quickly.
Gloriously insane :)

AlexG
25-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Sounds mental...:cool:

Which is what I want but not all of the time, oh well throttle goes both ways I suppose!:chuckle: