PDA

View Full Version : I knew it. Yep it wont start

Albie
21-03-2008, 02:06 PM
:eek: Well it had to happen didnt it. I finally had the idea to finish some jobs and give it a go. I need to get it to run so I can remove tank for respray.

So what happens is turn key and whirr of fuel pump all lights on and that and NO starter happening.

I have checked all fuses and connections as best as can. Removed starter switch and seems fine.

What I can tell you is that if you cross the connections the starter motor cranks over.

Any ideas what I could try.:confused: :grump:

Nonnie
21-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Poor Albie, having recently been in such a predicament I can sympathise. Have another read of my old thread about it and see if you can get any ideas from that. Remember I had to buy a new (well, second hand) pump.

stef
21-03-2008, 02:16 PM
look for a spark ?

Albie
21-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Well it now cranks over:yoparty:

that was my fault and had wondered where this cable connected too. It was the one that hides in between the two starter relay cables. I didnt remember taking it out and couldnt see where it was to go.I saw it after I wrote the thread in 916 manual.

So I have it turning over fine maybe a little sluggish due to not fully charged. It primes ok and I smell fuel so no doubt it needs a spark.

Now do I remove coil stick remove spark plug and then put plug on engine ?

I ask this as its what I would have done with a bike with normal plug caps.

gary tompkins
21-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Albie,

I would wait until battery has a full charge, as you know how fussy S4's are about flat batteries. A fresh set of plugs would be nice, but failing that take old ones out & clean re-gap them. Bung them back in and the motor should hopefully start a bit better.

It's also worth re-checking the earths to the loom, especially to the ignition (HT & LT side) and starter motor. Unless you've cleaned new powder coat back to metal you might have a naff connection, which will give you poor starting and long term aggro even with a fresh battery.

Albie
22-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Cheers Gt. A fresh day with a fresh head on and I will try and make complete checks. I have a new set of plugs to go in. i wonder if because it was not coonected to battery I have to red key it. Does it turn over if immobilised.

I have checked starter earth as it turned over. There is another earth on back of engine. I haven't noticed a frame earth. only unless the engine bolts are them.

gary tompkins
22-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Should be a main earth from Battery to frame as well, but as you say I think engine earths through frame as there's no earth strap there? If it's spinning over on starter but not firing check for spark at plugs. It could be a bad earth/connection to the ignition side causing the problem?

Let us know how you get on

Albie
22-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Will do. Yes thats the lead that goes to engine next to oil crankcase breather.

Albie
22-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Well changed plugs and there was a spark. How good is uncertain. Well anyhow before that when I turned it over it popped. So thats a start as somethings there.

I have got a new stick coil coming as mines in a poor state which could be half of it.

Batterys on recharge right now as its been trying and caned it a bit.

slob
22-03-2008, 12:59 PM
...when I turned it over it popped..

Check you've got the correct coil wired for each cylinder (ie not back coil wired for front etc. leaving both sparks 360 degrees out) Unless it uses 'wasted spark' in which case just ignore me.

Albie
22-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Check you've got the correct coil wired for each cylinder (ie not back coil wired for front etc. leaving both sparks 360 degrees out) Unless it uses 'wasted spark' in which case just ignore me.

When you say that I dont think I could have a they are stick coils and the leads are lengthed in loom so as only go acertain way. I labelled them first anyhow.

A couple of times it was trying but not enough to get going. I have a feeling it will go soon but I really need it sooner than later as I must get the tank resprayed asap.

Im still concerned that my led for immobilizer is not on anymore. I had a look at manual but it only covers sweeping clock models. Any ideas ???????:idea: :idea:

Shandy
22-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Will do. Yes thats the lead that goes to engine next to oil crankcase breather.

I think there's also a lead direct from the battery negative to the frame as well as the one by the oil cooler????.......maybe, not sure on the S4 my monster defo had one and i think the 916 does to.........

I agree with what slob says, if it popped but didn't run that sounds like the wrong pot trying to fire, had the same thing on my monster when i tried to get her running again........but if you had it all marked then i'm not sure :fou:

Hope you get her running soon mate......

Cheers,

Shandy

Albie
22-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks fella. Will double check tomorrow. Always worth looking again as theres always a chance of a mistake. I have made many in my time. At least its nearly complete.

Shandy
22-03-2008, 08:01 PM
ooooo yeah, you wouldn't believe the dipstick moments i had getting mine all sorted..........

..........at least if it's popping there's a sign of life.......

Albie
22-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Whilst I was in garage I changed over cans to carbon arrows on the 748 again after mot and started her up. Caroline rushed in to dismay thinking it had started. I said it would be louder than that. I cant recall hearing Nattys S4r with those termis like mine but the pops were freckin loud.:thumbsup:

Pedro
22-03-2008, 08:17 PM
ooooo yeah, you wouldn't believe the dipstick moments i had getting mine all sorted..........

Yeah, choosing to paint it yellow stands out.....

retskcid
23-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Whilst I was in garage I changed over cans to carbon arrows on the 748 again after mot and started her up. Caroline rushed in to dismay thinking it had started. I said it would be louder than that. I cant recall hearing Nattys S4r with those termis like mine but the pops were freckin loud.:thumbsup:

Haha, mmmm, I've bought some decibel killers I'm going to try, hopefully it wont be too quiet! :(

Any luck getting it started? Its freakin cold at the mo to be working out there, I'm trying to motivate myself...:eyepopping:

Albie
23-03-2008, 07:41 AM
No not yet as you say its friggin cold out there. Just watching grand prix and going out there in next 1/2 hour to recheck all connections. At least battery had a good charge but coldness will cane it no doubt.

You dont need decibel killers thats sacrilige to termis:hissy:

retskcid
23-03-2008, 07:48 AM
No not yet as you say its friggin cold out there. Just watching grand prix and going out there in next 1/2 hour to recheck all connections. At least battery had a good charge but coldness will cane it no doubt.

You dont need decibel killers thats sacrilige to termis:hissy:

I know, I know :flamed: I'm just going to try them. I will be leaving my neighbourhood at 5.30am every morning so I am trying to be considerate :)

The snow has started falling......

Albie
23-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Point taken. They will still be loud and booming. Good job you have closed in clutch then

Albie
24-03-2008, 06:32 PM
still dissapointed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I got up this morning with an open mind thinking if it will start it will start from an over night charge. Tried as per usual and just a slight 3 or 4 fires then nothing.

Fed up with that I double checked all the electrics.I removed both plugs which were wet with fuel. Not flooded but damp.Checked gaps. So I rechecked the spark. All I can say is that when you turn her over the first couple of turns is healthy and then the spark dies which fits in with why it tries and stops.
Going on what GT said I cleaned all earths and checked ECU connections
as he said if theres not enough juice the ECU shuts down,

It was exactly the same with the same result. So thats it really. All help really appreciated as I slowly losing the will to bother.

Albie
24-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Might be related but I dont seem to have an immobilizer light now. Any ideas on a non sweeping clocks with red key.

CK & AK
24-03-2008, 07:15 PM
If the pump is running then the system is working of a fashion.

Check ALL the fuses, check the clocks (plug at the back where the loom plugs in).
Check you havent got the sidestand kill and also the clutch kill out of circuit (tho it shouldnt crank if they are out of circuit)

I think you are not getting feed to the dash (hence the clocks & no immobiliser light), the system is not being read properly, but I'm baffled as to why the pump is running if this is the case.

Also - a word to the wise, just cos you are using new plugs doesnt mean they cant foul up - have you got another working set you can try?.

Its difficult to diagnose a prob like this over the internet - its bad enough when you have them in front of you ( I had a full day on one of ours recently, and solved the prob the next day in 10 mins - makes me :banghead: at times)

Alan

Albie
24-03-2008, 07:27 PM
If the pump is running then the system is working of a fashion.

Check ALL the fuses, check the clocks (plug at the back where the loom plugs in).
Check you havent got the sidestand kill and also the clutch kill out of circuit (tho it shouldnt crank if they are out of circuit)

I think you are not getting feed to the dash (hence the clocks & no immobiliser light), the system is not being read properly, but I'm baffled as to why the pump is running if this is the case.

Also - a word to the wise, just cos you are using new plugs doesnt mean they cant foul up - have you got another working set you can try?.

Its difficult to diagnose a prob like this over the internet - its bad enough when you have them in front of you ( I had a full day on one of ours recently, and solved the prob the next day in 10 mins - makes me :banghead: at times)

Alan

Thanks Alan
Right no sidestand immobilizer
Original plugs were working before fine and run the same
All fuses seem to working fine

All the dash seems to function ie revcounter twitches and warning lights work.

Somethings bothering me that Im not sure if I need my red key for sorting out.
I have 2 new stick coils coming soon as the front one is corroding but it has always run fine.