PDA

View Full Version : S4r exhaust gaskets fitting

Albie
21-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Can anyone tell me how or which way round the fibrous ring gaskets go. Not the flat header ones. I have to fit exhaust today and cant seem to fathom out whether they fit under compression around the tube or edge to edge.

My manual is only s4

bigredduke
21-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Can anyone tell me how or which way round the fibrous ring gaskets go. Not the flat header ones. I have to fit exhaust today and cant seem to fathom out whether they fit under compression around the tube or edge to edge.

My manual is only s4

My manual doesn't even show the gaskets! The S4R parts catalogue that you can download from Ducati shows gaskets but they appear flat rather than slightly conical as they are in fact. They are an absolute twat to fit & maintain a gas tight seal especially for the front cylinder. Even the dealer had a problem with them on mine! I would also use some gasket sealant as well. I honestly can't remember which way round they went, but I think the curved end is to the front to fit snugly in the manifold pipe but I can't be sure. I would check with a dealer workshop if you are on good terms with them. If not, try ringing Ducati John in Leeds, he's always helpful. I realise it's a holiday today so you may have to wait

Capo
21-03-2008, 11:54 AM
The gaskets are 'V' in section. The 'sharp' end faces downstream.

They joint will leak if you don't take care to ensure that the two pipes line up on the same axis, even though the joint is designed to cater for some misalignment.

Wurth make a 'assembly' paste that helps the seal.

YoungDucS4R
21-03-2008, 12:11 PM
The gasket is designed so that the pressure of the exhaust gas opens up the "V", creating the seal.
As already mentioned they're a t*#t to fit and to get to seal.
Always best to use new ones, and buy twice as many as you need if your working on the exhaust.
I resorted to putting two on in an effort to get a better seal and that seemed to work.
Liberal coating with Coppaslip also helps fitting

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii172/YoungDuc/UKMOC/ExhSealS4R.jpg

Albie
21-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Well thanks for your help. I managed to get them in. Its seem a useless idea to me to even need them. Why dont they make the exhausts a slip in fit like all others.