PDA

View Full Version : Plasti-kote paint - opinions?

retskcid
13-03-2008, 02:17 PM
I was thinking of repainting some blue parts of my S4 satin black and have stripped and prepped them. I happened to find a very old (unused) can of satin black Plasti-kote and tried it on a small part first (piece in front of horns). I just keyed the old blue paint and sprayed over the top. The finish is (even though I say it myself) pretty good, so I am going to carry on with the headlamp bowl, radiator end plates and clock holder this weekend.

Oh, and I may try the rear hugger.

Question is, would this finish be acceptable for the tank and seat cowl? How durable is this stuff?

Cheers

Rich

Scotty
13-03-2008, 05:03 PM
ahh now then, I've done my engine cases with some of this stuff I think the only problem areas are where is been knocked or somehow worn off (through the primer back to the metal)

however I'm not about to test its durability by dragging my boots over it

thinking back I used a gloss top coat

retskcid
13-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Cheers Scotty, would you paint a tank with it (hypothetically and not withstanding that you could use "proper" paint for the job)?

Scotty
13-03-2008, 06:23 PM
not sure as i picked some 'funny' paints

I had metallic blue, and I can say out of a rattle tin is proberly a bad idea, a sort of glitter type effect

and on top of that a black 'paint' that cracks revealing what's underneath as it dries

after describing that it really does sound horrendous I'll see if I can find a picture ...

Zimbo
13-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I've used Plast-Kote paint on a race fairing, finished with a coat of clear lacquer. Looked pretty good and lasted fairly well, it's softer than standard two pack paint of course but is as durable as any other rattle can paint. It'll last ok as long as you don't scratch it. The clear lacquer does help.

Scotty
13-03-2008, 06:42 PM
freshly done rubbish camera

http://www.drscott.plus.com/samco_0013.jpg

2 year on ? better camera

http://www.drscott.plus.com/dirty1.jpg

retskcid
13-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Cheers guys (thanks for the photo scotty), in that case I may use it as a stop gap before I have time/funds to get a pro to do it.

retskcid
16-03-2008, 05:07 PM
The advice was spot on. Its very easy to apply and get a good finish - its very forgiving. I even dropped a piece in the garden, brushed the dirt off and carried on painting and you would never know! It does need a clear for protection (not the weird "krystal" version that I bought though!). For DIY its ideal - imho.