PDA

View Full Version : Shorter Tea Tray?

mystic
13-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Anyone ever tried shortening a tea tray by a couple of inches leaving indicators (from the light/hidden end) and reattaching? Does this make sense?:scratch:
Never actually looked how its fitted, so don't know if this is completely impossible or not.
Don't want a full tail chop, but cant find smaller tray I like.
Any ideas?

Cheers
C

Darkness
13-03-2008, 12:11 PM
I trimmed a post 2001 carbon teatray around the tail light to get it to fit the earlier frame. I didn't shorten it, but that could have made it easier to get the fixings to work. If you don't mind the fixings showing from above, you can cut off the captive studs and drill holes in the teatray to line up with the frame and numberplate mount.

It did take away some of the rigidity of the teatray, allowing the indicators to shake a bit more, but I just put up with it. It should be possible to make a stiffening strap between the two indicator mounts if you find it too mobile though.

Good luck & show us a photo if you do it! :spin: :spin:

Mark

Blah blah
13-03-2008, 08:18 PM
I removed the standard tea tray, rear mudguard and indicator holders, placed them in a cupboard for the spiders to play with, and bolted my new carbon one straight onto the frame. Then I made a couple of little brackets for the indicators to mount them higher and closer to the seat.

Finally I bought a 'tail tidy' thingy off fleabay, chopped it up, much to the annoyance of the wife (why have you done that ??? you've just bought it, spent all that money and have just thrown half of it in the bin etc etc) and re fitted the lot.

It may not be to everyone's taste, but IMO it looks much better than the standard set up, and infinitely better than a complete chop.

(and if I could sort out how to show them in the post, rather than attached images I would, but then I am rubbish at technical computory type things)

gary tompkins
13-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I managed to shorten mine ok... took about 8 inches off ;)

alreadyinuse
13-03-2008, 11:59 PM
i bought a shorter one.

older monster 4 bolt fitting no indicators but there must be sopmething similar for new opnes.
http://hotimg6.fotki.com/a/88_109/135_95/P1010057-th.jpg (http://hotimg6.fotki.com/p/a/88_109/135_95/P1010057.jpg)