PDA

View Full Version : Increasing S4RS tank range??

Dukescrotum
12-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm looking for advice re the woeful tank range of the s4rs. I'm going touring as usual this year, but last year was looking for fuel when 60 - 70 miles came up on the trip.
Has anybody got any ideas for ways to carry more fuel, other than strapped on (like a very fast mobile petrol bomb!). I don't know if bigger tanks are available??
I have to own up and say I have the full termi pipes, chip, airbox mod etc so I'm not doing myself any economy favours from all that. However the pipes make such a difference to noise, performance etc that I could never go back to standard cans, and as for the look of that cat converter...!
All thoughts appreciated
Andy

Stafford
12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Buy an R1200GS?

Dukescrotum
12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Can you say that on a Monster website??!!

Darkness
12-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Buy an R1200GS?

That's a good idea, you could get someone else to ride the B*W and syphon/pump fuel across to the Monster when you need it. A bit like mid air re-fueling that the RAF do!!!!!!! :p

JerryXt
12-03-2008, 12:16 PM
there's a company in the sates that's making one. Can't remember the name, but do a search for carbon tanks and you'll find it. They haven't got it together yet, but have plans...

J.P
12-03-2008, 01:09 PM
A very familiar problem to us high powered, under-capacitied, Monster owners.
I just gone and bought a different bike because it was easier to find a solution.

sidrat
12-03-2008, 04:42 PM
slow down, roll down hills, dont ever exceed the speed limit, turn the engine off when you stop for lights, only tour places that are flat, like holland or lincolnshire................or buy a st2 and keep the monnie for fun

I know what you mean, i toured france on mine last year, as i got off the ferry onto french soil it ran out of petrol!!!

mad_turnips
12-03-2008, 05:03 PM
holland or lincolnshire are both know for interseting cakes? ....

come to think of it i did feel a bit strange after the cake you gave me sid

Dukescrotum
13-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks to all for the replies,( I should have known, "ask a stupid question ...!!)
I will look for the carbon tank, but fear it still will be 60 miles and time to get edgy!
Any of you Hampshire Monster owners know of any local-ish runs planned? Bear in mind it can only be <10 miles or I'll be running on fumes..!
Andy

retskcid
13-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I've been put off the CF tanks - not great in a small "off"! However, why not get someone like the tank shop to make a bigger one? I'm tempted to get one done in the future as mine is used (will be) as a daily commute. I guess the easiest would be to pick up an old one on ebay and have it modified.