PDA

View Full Version : Twin front disc conversion

tomferreira
12-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi All,

I'm looking to convert my '00 M600 to a twin front brake disc setup. I've got a second caliper and new discs but wondered about brake lines. Do i need a new master cylinder or can i use the original? Also what about brake lines. Can you get a Y junction to come from the single output of the original cylinder or would a new one have two outputs, one for each caliper?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom.

Kato
12-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Original M/C will have a smaller bore so you should change it, don't need a Y piece just run a seperate line to each caliper...i.e a double banjo at the master cyl.

tomferreira
12-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the swift response.
Sorry! What's a double banjo?

Nickj
12-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Same as a single but doubled up.
You can join the two hoses at the master end using a longer bolt and a few more copper washers.
A single hose down to a splitter tucked away by the front light might look nicer though but you'd need three new hoses rather than just one

JerryXt
12-03-2008, 12:15 PM
The banjo is a bolt thingy that has holes in it to let the fluid through. It attaches the brake lines to the master cylinder. A single banjo accommodates one line, a double, two.

You might need one that doubles as a brake light actuator if your new lever doesn't have something built in.

BTW, I only know this cos Kato explained it to me very slowly.

alreadyinuse
12-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm guessing since yours is a dark that you don't need a fork bottom for the left side?
Never worked out why they did that.
If you are goijng to get a new master cylinder you might aswell get one with a remote reservoir. waaay cooler looking

tomferreira
12-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. I think I'm set now.

Sanddancer
04-04-2008, 03:19 PM
I've been thinking about doing this.

My right had fork seems to have a mount already there for a caliper that has a black plastic cover over it at the moment ('01). Are there particular calipers/discs that are required or would any 750/900 discs/calipers/pads/master cylinder from the same year work?

Yorkie
04-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Any twin disc set up 916,748,900ss, 900sl should work.

I went for a fully floating set up which included master cylinders, disc's, and calipers from a 916. (It was cheap at the time)

All you should need is an additional caliper (Same as your original), twin discs, new pads and a 900 hose set up. (Job done)

Yorkie.

Sanddancer
04-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks. Time to start trawling Ebay :)