PDA

View Full Version : Spring tips

DevilBoy
07-03-2008, 08:43 AM
hiya Guys

Took my S4 out of the garage this morning for the first time since last winter.
Rode her to work, and all seems to be running well!

I plan on doing some maintennance this weekend, as well as cleaning all the WD40 that I sprayed on last summer off.
I've noticed the oil window is showing some lovely milk where oil should be. So I guess the first port of call is an oil change!

I'm gonna check the chain is all ok. I lubed it up before putting it away, and still looks well lubed.

Any other things I should be doing before hitting the road?

Cheers dudes
DB

DevilBoy
12-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Nobody got any advice at all!?

Stafford
12-03-2008, 03:31 PM
The oil may clear after a good run, check tyre pressures, brakes ain't stuck, coolant level and a good clean and once over.

mad_turnips
12-03-2008, 03:33 PM
ahhh devilboy just the man im after which insurance company do you work for and can you get uk cover as if i was on holiday from europe

Half Man Half Mole
12-03-2008, 04:04 PM
My S2R had 'milky' oil too! Confusing as its air cooled. At least its not a blown head gasket, then.

Its going in to J.H.P. for her 'big service' in a few weeks and they suggested it may be condensation inside the sight glass itself (which is apparently a double glazed affair) and said a blast on it with the better half's hair dryer my resolve the problem. Worth a try perhaps?

Mike

PS Oh, and check the tyre pressures!

DevilBoy
13-03-2008, 03:29 PM
hiya Turnips.

I work for Confused.com
Not an insurance company, but an insurance aggregator.
Se we look at 14 bike insurance sites, and grab prices for your details, and point you in the direction of the cheapest one.

Not too sure about the european cover. Most companies do give you cover in europe as standard. We don't search for it on our site though.
Might be worth running a quote through, and phoning the cheapest insurer, see what they can do.

As for the milky oil. I think i'll do an oil change, as its been sat there for 6 months.
And while i'm at it, I think changing all the fluid might be a good idea.

mad_turnips
13-03-2008, 03:40 PM
its not exactly europe cover im insured in jersey £230 fully comp riders policy but if i have the bike in the uk it jumps to £700 so was looking for a kind of uk cover on a jersey reg bike in uk

DevilBoy
13-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Should be ok I think.
Try it!

Go to www.confused.com and see what it comes up with.
Lemme know if you see any problems.

Scotty
13-03-2008, 05:12 PM
only spring tips i can think of

take it steady to begin with , relax , enjoy

retskcid
13-03-2008, 06:25 PM
So long as you have run the bike up to temp periodically I dont see why you can't follow normal service intervals. However, changing fluids cannot do any harm either (at least the engine oil) and maybe plugs. Charge the battery.

Just make sure its fit for the road, tyre pressures, chain, lights etc. And a long run should get rid of the milky condensation.

JMHO.