PDA

View Full Version : Headstock Bearings

Johnnyg
29-02-2008, 06:05 PM
:confused: Help! I have just purchased a pair of tapered headstock bearings off e-bay (new) which the supplier assured me would fit my Monster 620ie. However they do not fit (the inner diameter is too narrow). Looking again at the Ducati parts list it appears that the original bearing is not tapered. Please can someone give me some advice.

Scotty
29-02-2008, 06:26 PM
err buy the correct parts ?

Johnnyg
29-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Ok let me rephrase the question: Does the 620ie use a tapered bearing or a normal bearing for the headstock?

johnny k
29-02-2008, 07:47 PM
I recently replaced the bearing in my m900.

I took the old ones to a bearing dealer and before I could tell the guy what they were he asked me if they were for a bike.

I asked how he knew and he told me that motorcycles often have a bearing with a defferent internal diameter than an industrial bearing.

That said, he still had a pair off the shelf.

I guess that you hav n`t seen the original bearing or you would know if they are tapered or not?

Do you have a workshop manual, it would tell you in there?

If you don`t have a manual I`m sure some one reading this does and would have a look for you.

JK

dlloyduk
29-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I,m pretty sure they will be tapered roller bearings. What where the ones like that you took out? I assume you have as you said they where to small.

Scotty
29-02-2008, 08:08 PM
last time I took head stock bearing to local bearing supplier I didn't get anywhere (odd size and all that) and went to local dealer
Ii think I read somewhere the 'upgrade' is to use needle bearings or something

actually think im talking **** :worried:

Zimbo
29-02-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm told a Fiat 127 rear wheel bearing is the same part, if that helps?

Johnnyg
29-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the help - unfortunately the bike is in pieces so I do not have the old bearings as a reference. The bearings that were too small were the ones that were incorrectly supplied.

barbican
29-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Have got this from a 2004 620 manual

Hope it works - doesn't look like a tapered roller

jerry
01-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Tapered bearings are an aftermarket improvement but some years Ducati also supplied them.

johnny k
01-03-2008, 04:47 PM
If you measure the head stock internal and shaft external diameters with a vernier gauge and let me have them i could maybe source a set of taper rollers for you.

JK

Johnnyg
02-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks very much for the offer JK - the company who supplied the incorrect bearings has told me they will now send the correct ones so hopefully this will sort the problem out. I will get in touch if they don't work. JG