PDA

View Full Version : Rough running S4???

jerry
23-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi chaps

went for a ride over the last 2 days covered about 400miles bike ran well until about 50 miles from home when it appears to get a bit out of synch and rough ..acceleration not so smooth and engine braking is abrupt ...I will check TPS and balance EFI injectors and clean the air filter and re-oil.
might be bad fuel as well Huh

hope that does the trick

while I got the bike down I am skimming the front discs and removing 1 link from the rear chain to shorten the wheelbase .and detabbing the clutch of burrs.

jerry

outlaw7
28-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi Jerry,

What are you using to remove the chain links? I have a new chain and need to remove a couple of links and join it. Do you think a Dremel and cutting disc will get through the rivet heads?

cheers
Ben

jerry
28-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi Jerry,

What are you using to remove the chain links? I have a new chain and need to remove a couple of links and join it. Do you think a Dremel and cutting disc will get through the rivet heads?

cheers
Ben

I used an angle grinder

outlaw7
28-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Jerry,

Did you find the problem with the rough running on your S4?

I removed my old chain as one piece when taking off the sprockets, I'm assuming I can refit the new chain joined in the same way?

Do you have a chain riveting tool? If your in Brighton, is it possible you could show me how to do this please?

cheers
Ben

jerry
28-02-2008, 11:43 AM
I have the tool but will not be in YUK until 8th March , still in Thailand , but will be glad to help u out mate when I am back , PM me your phone number.

Will test S4 tommorow it probably just needed a TPS and Balance job I also checked belts tension ,plugs ,skimmed the discs ,washed and oiled the K&n filter ,new EBC pads shortend the chain and wheelbase etc etc .

jerry

If it still runs ****ty then it could be dud fuel,a coil ,CPU, or even rockers. I hope its non of these as they cost money.

outlaw7
28-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Cheers Jerry, that sounds good I appreciate your help mate. I'll PM my number to you.

My S4's been tucked in the garage for a couple of months and I'm doing some similar maintenence, new Tyres, chain & sprockets, plugs, air filter and EBC HH sintered brake pads.

Just need to sort this chain out and then I'm ready for the MOT.

What improvement do you expect from shortening the wheelbase? Other lifting the frontwheel more often?

cheers
Ben

Nickj
28-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Chain riveters are handy but you can as easily use a pair of hammers. Big one on the back of the link and hit the exposed bits till they flatten and mushroom over. You'll usually get a set of spacers with the rivet link so you won't mash the sealing rings.
Remember the stress is longtitudinal and not lateral, that is the side plate just needs to stay in place and not fall off so an end expansion of a few mm (2 or 3) is enough to be secure.

Nickj
28-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Shorter wheelbase = increased 'instability' really means turning a bit faster.

Stafford
28-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Chain riveters are handy but you can as easily use a pair of hammers. Big one on the back of the link and hit the exposed bits till they flatten and mushroom over. You'll usually get a set of spacers with the rivet link so you won't mash the sealing rings.
Remember the stress is longtitudinal and not lateral, that is the side plate just needs to stay in place and not fall off so an end expansion of a few mm (2 or 3) is enough to be secure.

This must be one of those Forest of Dean special fixes. :shocked:

I think I'd still use a riveter as they probably cost less then new casings.

jerry
28-02-2008, 04:29 PM
It looks to me that by taking one link out of my chain the rear axle is about 15mm nearer the engine so wheelbase will be that much shorter should help the turn in.

jerry
29-02-2008, 08:27 AM
went for a ride plenty of power and free runnimg but harsher on/off delivery and crap tickover so i think TPS wil have to be checked again,, also clutch very grabby and neutral a pig that is a new problem , all I did was clean the clutch and tangs , also i think front headrace bearings need tightening up as the bike clicks on bumps and pulses on slow speed braking even with skimmed discs. The shorter wheel base is a massive improvement on handling .

jerry
02-03-2008, 01:17 PM
The TPS is really annoying ... I keep detailed records of each tune up and am very careful and patient but every time the bike runs different after TPS set and rebalance .. sometimes it is perfect the next time just almost ..eg:this time loads of power but harsh and poor tickover last time a little less power ,smooth and really nice low speed running ....its not science its hit and miss , I am very unhappy because on carbed Monsters i can get it the same every time.