PDA

View Full Version : Helmets?

mystic
18-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Finally got my bike back after a 3.5 month wait. Looks as good as new, so very chuffed.
Anyway due to trying to smash tarmac with my head :dizzy: I need a new lid.
Other than buy the most expensive you can afford and that it is a perfect fit, what would you get?
So many choices!:scratch:

mad_turnips
18-02-2008, 02:37 PM
been using an Xlite ( nolan) from Hein Gerike its fantastic used dianese lids before but prefre the fit of this

banditloon
18-02-2008, 02:47 PM
You can guess what I've just got ;)

I've managed to get through a couple of FM lids, one Roof Boxer, HJC, AGV, two Shark and a Nitro lid.

I recommend the Roof Boxer (as with being a stinky smoker, and a courier at the time, this was the best lid!!), HJC was very quiet and cheap.

Only problem so far with my Arai lid, it can be a bit on the noisy side at 50mph+. Soon cured that with iPod or ear plugs!

Just find a lid that is a decent fit (Roof lids are very fickle, well the old ones were!), and affordable. Buy the best you can afford, depending on how much you value your bonce! :D

Half Pint
18-02-2008, 02:48 PM
I've always been an Arai person, i'm on my 3rd now and would not consider any other, a bit single minded although i know it will protect me.

JerryXt
18-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Have a chat with David at solocorse.co.uk. He's got a few lids left from last year that look like a bargain. Can't remember the make, but they compare well against Arai.

Tell him Jerry sent you.

mystic
18-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Tipping towards Arai myself, like that a lot Banditloon. Trying to find a Ducati branded one from last years range, where I can go n try/get it easily. Don't know how to post a pic but heres a link-
http://www.motorlineducati.co.uk/product/HELMET_SHIELD_ECE_982819022
Will Arais all fit similar? If so I could try one and order it online?

banditloon
18-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Tipping towards Arai myself, like that a lot Banditloon. Trying to find a Ducati branded one from last years range, where I can go n try/get it easily. Don't know how to post a pic but heres a link-
http://www.motorlineducati.co.uk/product/HELMET_SHIELD_ECE_982819022
Will Arais all fit similar? If so I could try one and order it online?

Snells have some of the old range of Ducati lids on their shelf (on sale too!), my Arai Ducati Stripes lid came from Moto Rapido, I'm sure they've got the full range of Ducati lids in stock down there in Winchester :thumbsup: :D

Half Pint
18-02-2008, 03:02 PM
My Quantium f and Viper GT both fit the same the latter being slightly more comfortable. I have been told that your either an Aria of Shoei person as they fit differently.

One of the guys in Hein Gerike believes the xlite to fit simular to the Arai, but i'm unsure of how much truth there is in that?

binky
18-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Been using Arai's for the past 20 years with to many crash's to mention while racing. Never ever any problems. What more can ya say

damon
18-02-2008, 04:15 PM
im a shoei man mself, arai's didnt seem to fit quite as good on my head, i think its too much of a personal thing to just by one online without trying on.

Darkness
18-02-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm pleased with a Shoei xr1000 that I got from Moto Rapido: not too lairy, with lots of black [Which is nice].
It is a better fit than the Arai, but that could just be me???????

Darkness
18-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi Damon,
You could of saved me some typing if you'd been a bit quicker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark

Rogerg
18-02-2008, 04:20 PM
I've got an AGV Ti Tech.

tis great.

damon
18-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi Damon,
You could of saved me some typing if you'd been a bit quicker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark

:)

it seems i was the quickest :chuckle:

ricky
18-02-2008, 04:48 PM
i have an arai tour with peak removed in black with black visor!! looks mean as hell!!! ( if its good enough for mc gregor and borman its good enough 4 me!!!)

NattyBoy
18-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Well i've always sworn by arai (an arai saved my life once!) but I went for this agv ti tech last year for a change as I fell in love with the colour scheme ! Its superior in quality to the arai with less wind noise, but took a while to 'bed in' fit wise.

http://www.seastarsuperbikes.co.uk/AGV/AGV%2006%20550/TiTech/tt_laureato_latdx550.jpg

Nat

damon
18-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Finally got my bike back after a 3.5 month wait. Looks as good as new, so very chuffed.
Anyway due to trying to smash tarmac with my head :dizzy: I need a new lid.
Other than buy the most expensive you can afford and that it is a perfect fit, what would you get?
So many choices!:scratch:

well as helpfull as everybody's being i bet this hasnt really helped you out one bit :)

everybody loves different lids for loadsa reasons, i think you've gotta find your reason.....and then you'll find your lid......makes pefect sense to me.

:ukm:

Mand
18-02-2008, 05:11 PM
I have had a Bell helmet, not too bad.
I have a Shoei, nice helmet - reasonable price.
I had a Ducati Shoemy helmet (legohead) - very nice but I wore it out.
I have a Davida, looks ace, it is dead comfy but not very practical when go over 50mph and get a face full of flies.

I have just bought a new lid, an Arai RX Corsair, Colin Edwards rep, it is great, sooooo comfy and looks ace too.

It is all personal opinion I suppose. :)

Mand
18-02-2008, 05:12 PM
everybody loves different lids for loadsa reasons, i think you've gotta find your reason.....and then you'll find your lid......makes pefect sense to me.

:ukm:

and I concur with the above.

Dave G
18-02-2008, 05:16 PM
I have three Arai's, an RX7, QuantumF and AstroJ, all plain red, be happy to wear any of them though the RX7 is a bit noisier.
I know I fit Shoei too(and HJC) so my next lid will be dependant on who makes a plain red one.

ricky
18-02-2008, 05:20 PM
and I concur with the above.

i also concur :biggrin:

gremlin
18-02-2008, 06:05 PM
I've just got a Caberg V2. It's got the double visor so for sunny day riding I haven't got to try and feed my sunglasses down the side. A bonus as it wrecks the arms on your glasses and if a dull day gets sunny while you're out you don't have to worry.

Mand
18-02-2008, 06:42 PM
i also concur :biggrin:

hehe you sounded as much as n0b as I did when I said it.

:chuckle: :chuckle:

It's all this "Blue Sky Thinking" I am having to do and "Ticking the boxes for Intelligent Solutions"....

Yawn!

retskcid
18-02-2008, 07:32 PM
I normally go for Arai, but I like the look of this for the summer:

http://www.grandprixlegends.com/LifestyleSite/pages/product/product.asp?ctgry=L_ZanyZone_I_HaynesAccessories_F ordCapri(Lifestyle)&prod=CRM011(GPL_BaseCatalog)&ctlg=Lifestyle&cookie%5Ftest=1

I would worry about not having a chin guard tho'. and my better half thinks its hidious.:worried:

Headhunter
18-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Dainese coz everything bar the boots is. Sad isn't it.

Dainese because I like the designs - safe - freeflow air thingy for the summer months.

Mand
18-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I normally go for Arai, but I like the look of this for the summer:

http://www.grandprixlegends.com/LifestyleSite/pages/product/product.asp?ctgry=L_ZanyZone_I_HaynesAccessories_F ordCapri(Lifestyle)&prod=CRM011(GPL_BaseCatalog)&ctlg=Lifestyle&cookie%5Ftest=1

I would worry about not having a chin guard tho'. and my better half thinks its hidious.:worried:

aww that is ace! That is on my wish list now... :biggrin:

mystic
18-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Cheers for all the input. The reason I'm in this dillema is I've seen and tried the new 'Italian' AGV Ti Tech, and I love it (I can also buy it tomorrow lunchtime) but still hankering after the Ducati Speed/Shield Arai. Just because I'm a tart and would like Ducati written on the front!
Guess I need to flip a coin......or go with my impatient side:biggrin:

Paivi
18-02-2008, 09:19 PM
I've got an Arai head, but luckily Schuberths fit me too, as their build quality is far superior to Arai. Amazingly quiet and comfortable helmets. I've got the J1 open face for town riding and S1 for out of town. All come with integral sun visors.

Pedro
18-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Arai head here too.

Started with a Condor and also have a Viper and most recently an RX7 Corsair in McCoy Tricolor colours. The Viper and RX7 have removeable linings for easy washing. Viper is a little quieter than the RX7 by the later vents really well so will be cooler in the summer. The Arais far exceed standard European test requirements too.

Main thing is get the fit right.

ricky
19-02-2008, 06:02 AM
hehe you sounded as much as n0b as I did when I said it.

:chuckle: :chuckle:

concur is a SUPERB word!!!:thumbsup: too use it shows intellect, maturity and sexyness!! ;)

retskcid
19-02-2008, 06:03 AM
I've got an Arai head, but luckily Schuberths fit me too, as their build quality is far superior to Arai. Amazingly quiet and comfortable helmets. I've got the J1 open face for town riding and S1 for out of town. All come with integral sun visors.

I like the black J1 - very nice.

Thanks Mand, I am glad someone agrees with me!

Gilps
19-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Schuberth S1 for me on the road. By far the quietest lid I'ver had, build quality is superb.
Arai for the track.