PDA

View Full Version : Home Painting anciliary parts- Advice Please

markus
17-02-2008, 02:07 PM
ok ok - I may well be being cheap but I wanna do some of the painting my self, probably witha rattle can etc so can anyone please give step by step how-to for getting a good result and any recomendations for paint/primer etc

Parts to be painted flat/satin black are.......

All for a 2005 S2r

stock rear sets
header pipes
Rear Sprocket & cover
Inner part of front discs

Thanks everyone!

slob
17-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I did my tail-light/number plate brackets with Sperex satin black, over an etching primer(all in rattle cans from eBay), followed by 30 mins in the oven at 200°c. They came up looking lovely.
My experience of exhaust headers is they will start to rust and want re-doing in under a year, although that wasn't stainless.
Footrest hangers... the paint will wear off quick where boots rub on them whatever you use.

Pedro
17-02-2008, 04:33 PM
I've used spray Smooth-Rite to good effect. Make sure the surface is clean and keyed them warm the parts under a decent heat lamp (I used a 1000w halogen spot light) and then spray 3-4 light coats then leave the lamp on to "bake" it

Did my 900 engine cases and hangers like this and it gave a good finish that lasted well.

dunlop0_1
17-02-2008, 05:27 PM
It's all in the preparation. Yes i know it's tedious but your finish will be crap if it is not done right. Aerosols are great today, one pack acrylic being the main one. Plenty of rubbing down (wet), degrease (meths/white spirit) and a good primer. Be patient and apply several coats and then a final rub down with 800/1000 grit paper and then several top coats. It's alot harder to describe then actually doing it. Remember it's only paint so if it goes t1ts up you can just rub it down and start again. 25 years of painting everything from a 40 footer to a lamp shade and i still f**k it up now and again.
Oh happy day..................

stef
18-02-2008, 06:26 AM
i painted a few items last year. i bought a small compressor kit, airbrush, and some 2pack paint + lacquer. i dont think it is allowed to the public anymore though.
on painting the headers though.. i'd polish them instead. it's a 2hours job, but will look far neater for longer than painting them, IMO. paint will have to be VHT, and will start looking rubbish after a few stone chips. polishing will take 5mins to revive.
same for the rearset. easy enough to polish to good results.
for the rear sprocket, again, chain oil will make it look dirty anyway. so i'd just wait until you are due a change, and get a nice, shinny anodised one.

just tell me what you want painting, and i'll tell you why you dont want to do that...

alreadyinuse
01-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Sperex/VHT depending on where you buy it is awesome.
For best finish durability bake it for 2 hours.
It will work on engines too.
Just

Stafford
02-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Is Sperex a good choice for engine casing's?
If yes, which version of silver is the best match?
Cheers

markus
02-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys!
just tell me what you want painting, and i'll tell you why you dont want to do that...

I hear you stef - but it changes nothing - I want black headers!!!!