PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Hands up from all those who have been to....

Nonnie
12-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Disney World, Florida.

The flights are booked cheaply thanks to Roddys extortionate amount of airmiles, the villa is booked cheaply through t'internet but we have tickets to buy.

I want the main parks at Disney and some dolphin swimming at Discovery Cove and to see the Kennedy Space Centre.

If you have been, are there any discounts available? What must we absolutely see and do? Please bear in mind the only one who will do the most thrilling rides is Rod, me and the kids won't (except the youngest at 7 who is afraid of nothing).

We need some money saving tips and handy hints just incase I forget to go to work some more.

p.s. If you do by any chance come into contact with any of the kids between now and the end of August, please do not tell them where they're going!

DavidEJM
12-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Done dolphins at Discovery Cove and it was a fantastic day in a controlled environment. Definately a good day (though not cheap if you go for the full 'experience'.

Depending on the age of the kids, we've found our favourite park to be Animal Kingdom - seems more relaxed and not as reliant on the big thrill rides. We got tickets when we were there last time and the days we couldn't use (cos someone in the party was ill) were sold back to the guy we got the tickets from at a good rate.

We've been in Late July and August before and you can still get thunder storms in the afternoon - Floridian reps like to call it 'liquid sunshine' - so plastic 'ponchos' are another good tip.

We're thinking of going later in the year too - maybe Christmas - you'll have a wonderful time!

Nonnie
12-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Kids are 13, 9 and 7 and like I said the big rides are not what we're looking for. Don't suppose you can remember off hand names of truly terrifying ones (which we can then avoid!) and is there any way of knowing before you ride what the terror factor will be?

I'm glad you enjoyed Discovery Cove. I know it's really flaming expensive but it is an opportunity that I can't pass up. Were your kids scared at all? I know they can swim with rays and stuff?

Where did you get those tickets from? Nice to know they can be sold back though in the event of something.

We'll be going late August, early September and the weather still comes up as pretty hot but I will remember about the rains.

Did you do the Disney Dining Plan? or I've seen tickets for Kids Eat Free? Just wondering how worth while these things are? I'm sure it's pricey to eat in the parks.

I'm sure we will have a wonderful time. Could cry already!

DavidEJM
12-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Cant remember the names of the rides but the guide books are a very good start as they list all the available interests and describe the rides etc. WH Smith stock loads in the travel section. Do this in advance and plan an itinery would be my advice.

I cant remember there being a problem but I remember getting the fright of my life snorkelling in the 'tropical tank' as a bleedin great Ray floated underneath me. I nearly stood on its back in my panic!

Got the tickets from a guy that came to the villa (by arrangement at 6:30am cos we were still on UK time) on recommendation by the person maintaining the house we used (friend of a friend). They are available all over the place when you are there, but again the guide book will make suggestions.

We did a couple character meals that the kids loved (and the adults if we're honest) and the rest of the time we snacked at the parks and ate at the many many many restaurants at the side of the road. I think with the exchange rate as it is, you should find it is not too expensive at all. we got up one morning and went to a restaurant for breakfast and paid our $5 per head (or whatever it was) and since we were quite late we were told that we could stay and eat right through into the lunch menu too!!!! only in America!

J.P
12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
I took my wife last year on a 'Thrill Seekers' week of roller coasters but have done the parks about times in my life.

Definitely do Sea World, and definitely book the additional VIP Guided tour if you can stretch to it. You can find it buried in their website some place. It's about an extra £50 per person, which is a lot I know, but you get to queue jump everything, you get the best seats at everything and it includes lunch next to the Killer Whale pool before the big show and even get to go behind the scenes to see the penguins.
It makes the whole day more efficient, more relaxed, and a better experience. I've taken my kids to the different parks so many times over the years and it's not restful. Parental stress. Doing 14 hour days trying to cram everything in can be hell.
Sea World is part of the Busch Gardens Group and the Busch Gardens Park is out in Tampa, about 1 hours drive from Orlando. Mostly roller coasters but now a major animal park too. But maybe not worth the detour if you do the Disney Animal Kingdom.

As for food, the good exchange rate really helps and there are lots of family style restaurants in & around Disney itself. Don't forget the local tax, federal tax and the Tip. Nothing is ever as cheap as you think it is.
Expect to eat lots of fast food junk during the day because most of the parks don't really have much else unless you want to properly sit down for lunch. Though packed lunches are fine if you want to take them.

The other thing they often don't tell you is that if you take your car every time you go to one of the parks, you have to pay for parking. Disney have their own free bus system which is very comprehensive.

You want any other tips drop me a line.

benson
12-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Justine and I can fold up really small and so will be coming with you in your luggage....

JEALOUS isn't the word!!!

Hurrah - what a great treat you're all in for!!!

Nonnie
12-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Rachel you can come. Villa sleeps 10!

I really appreciate the tips. Please please keep them coming. I will buy a travel guide as soon as I don't have the kids for a minute! I've been glued to the net reading up everything I can. I do really want to plan this so we get the most out of it.

Discovery Cove includes tickets to Seaworld so I'm more than happy to spend a day there. We do like marine life here and I love penguins!

S4Rs-Tone
12-02-2008, 04:53 PM
ive been nearly every year with my kids ranging from zero to 21 , let me know where your staying and ill try to give you GOOD places to eat . done discovery's full package 2 adults and 3 kids approx £800 , 1 benefit of it is limited occupation so no overcrowding , the swimminng with the dolphins was not for me or kids a life altering experience . the americans tend to get on your t*its a bit with the word AWESOME . theme park eating is burger and fries or chicken strips and not overpriced . compared to the uk every where you eat is cheap, but i would go to the likes of hard rock or other world wide eateries once for the experience but we found better places for less $.we mostly do villas because we like our food and im sure you will find that you will crave home cooked food after week 1 (except the kids).you can go to wal mart and get a very cheap brb cue fully made ( for no extra cost,just take it of display ) for next to nothing . and theres nothing like a hard days disneying back to your villa every one in the pool and dad beer in hand doing the food , only cos dads cook better brbcue .it is THE place to holiday in my experience you just gotta learn the ropes,got lots more info to give just not enough finger energy.

Nonnie
12-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Walbertone, you must try!

The villa is in Jonagold Boulevard, Kissimmee and has full kitchen facilities so at least we can do breakfast in pyjamas (a must for me). There is a pool too whch I am really looking forward to.

I've possibly got some friends coming down from Denver too but they've never been to Disney before.

Intrigued as to why the dolphins weren't for you or the kids. I did read a review that said they do sometimes push people under the water which wouldn't faze me but might the kids.

What's the thing with tipping? Who to and how much?

Oh I have so many questions! Get those fingers working!

I was investigating the base tickets (one park per day) thinking that would be plenty. We have 10 days not including flying so 5 at Disney, one at Discovery Cove, one at Seaworld and one at the Kennedy Space Centre.

Would I be better off park hopping? If I'm park hopping then can I catch the Disney buses and leave the car at one park and come back later?

Then rental cars!

Julie
12-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Hey Nonnie Noo
Lovely Holidays Happy Kids!

Nonnie
12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Hey Nonnie Noo
Lovely Holidays Happy Kids!

Hey Joolie Joo
Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait!
pming you
xxxxxxx

scrumpster
12-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Have fun, sounds great!!

retskcid
12-02-2008, 07:07 PM
My favourite place as a kid (teenager) was "Wet 'n' Wild". And I am glad to say 25 years later its still popular!!

http://www.wetnwildorlando.com/

Have fun guys. :yoparty:

JerryXt
12-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I was over in Orlando every Feb for a few years. Hooters was always good value, but probably not a kids place :twak:

The big places often have free or heavily subsidised themed evenings with some good music and cheap or free food. I was very sceptical the firrst time, but I had an excellent time. Check the websites I guess.

One year I did sunset at the Atlantic coast, Gulf and Pacific coasts on successive weekends.

andros
13-02-2008, 07:06 AM
You will need at least a full day in each of the Disney parks, so I would aim to stay in one park for the full day, thats partly because there is a fair bit of queueing so if you park hop you wont get to see everything.

You could always do a day at the end where you go to a couple of parks to do the things youve missed and there will be some things you want to do again, and there is transport between the parks.

Nonnie
13-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks Andros, that seems sensible and realistic. We should have 2 free days to play with.

nik_the_brief
13-02-2008, 11:58 AM
We're off for our 3rd Florida trip in October this year.

We're going over with my brother and sister in law who live in Dublin with their 2 kids and are renting a huge villa and sharing the costs. Are taking 3 days in New York en route and are planning to avoid the parks and do the Everglades and the Keys this time round. Can't wait...

Have done the Disney parks already and Universal to (preferred the Universals TBH especially Islands of Adventure - check out the talking fountain he's brilliant).

I would highly recommend at least one of the water parts - Typhoon Lagoon is our family favourite closely followed by Blizzard Beach but we're desperate to do the new Universal Aquatica one which looks the dogs danglies, one of the flumes takes you in tranparent tubes through the dolphin pool. Get there early to bag yourself some decent loungers - buy yourselves a drink container and bar code thing and it's free drinks all day - particularly recommend the pink lemonade and the kids can charge around on their own in relative safety. My boys are 9, 11 and 13 and had no problems doing just that.

If you find time I'd highly recommend an airboat ride - we did one at Boggy Creek which was a scream, my missus didn't think it'd be that good and I had to strongarm her into it but she and the rest of the family thought it was one of the highlights after we'd done it. It was about $100 for the 5 of us but well worth it.

Another good day out was Gatorland, worth a visit if you have the time, you can even get to eat a bit of one - tastes like fishy chicken - lovely in BBQ sauce though.

Martin (my brother in law) and I are big kids so we'll be going off to the ranges opposite Orange County Jail in Orlando to have a go at shooting loads of stuff too. We went off to have a go last time we were over and missed out coz it was closed.

There are discount voucher books at all of the shopping places which can save you a fair few bucks on all these kind of things.

squiffything
13-02-2008, 02:20 PM
NONNIE NONNIE I picked up our tickets this morning and we fly three weeks tomorrow YAY we are all soooooo excited.

Staying in a 4 bedroom luxury villa in Kissamee that sleeps 10/12 have got a big car on hire for the four of us and our luggage and have our park tickets booked. We went for the 14 day Disney pass and the 14 day Orlando pass as we know that we will want to go to the disney parks in the evening to watch the light parades and firework shows but it allows us to do the other parks during the day. We pretty much have all the disney parks and the Busch/Universal parks covered.

Food in the states is so cheap you can have a brekkie in the morning which will see you through the day for around $3 and a meal in the evening for around $10/12 We hope to be getting maximun use of the BBQ and that means an early run to Walmart when we get there.

Put aside a day to do International drive it's the shopping day and it has all the names you could want. Bro in law and family went in January and he picked up a pair of Timberland boots for $40 over here the same pair were arount £100 take big suitcases and leave your clothes at home :)

You have months to wait and your as excited as you are imagine what it is like in our house at the mo.

emily's driver
13-02-2008, 05:29 PM
I think it is fair to say she is fairly excited about the whole thing. Sounds like you are doing a similar thing to us. Where did you get your passes for Disney from Graham, if you dont mind me asking? We (well Nonnie did) looked at www.americanattractions.com and it seemed pretty good compared to others.

Kids are clueless about the whole thing and we want them to stay in the dark until the last moment! They are gonna go nuts!!! Can't wait to see their little faces when we tell them. As for me I am looking forward to the big scary rides and probably Universal as it is over twenty years since I went to Disneyland (LA) and it was a blast then.

S4Rs-Tone
14-02-2008, 07:13 AM
i found discovery very good it was just the dolphin swim was a little short and i got sick of hearing the word awesome every second from the "trainer".typhoon is better for the younger kids as the water rides and wave pool are not as harsh as some of the slides at blizzard. have stayed out in the kissimee area every time at a place called ridgewood lakes it is near to haines city if your any where near check out manni's chop house great steaks and a huge salad bowl.food shop wise publics are good and they have a large brit section in most stores, great if you need some baked beans, will think and post more later.

squiffything
14-02-2008, 07:20 AM
We booked them at the travel agents but as my Bro in law had already trawled the internet sites for a good price I knew what we should be paying and got the agents to knock down the price. We paid £162 for the 14 day ultimate ticket (bro got his for £157) and 118 for the Orlando 5 park ticket. The site you quoted is cheaper on that one but a tad more on the disney one it's a case of shopping around or getting your agent to match/near the best price. I used the agent for ease/convenience. Let us know what you want investigating when we're out there and I'll do you a report.

Nonnie
14-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Have a wonderful time Squiff. I bet the DisneyTension is unbearable in your house! We're not telling the kids til we get to the airport!

We all require pictures in Mickey ears please.

Please check out rides? Ones that go upside down or too fast are a no no for me. scaredy cat that I am.

Thanks Nik for your advice. If we do one water park then I'll make it the typhoon one.

5 and a bit months to go!