PDA

View Full Version : I want a proper Touring bike.

J.P
11-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Been thinking about this for a little while and will probably add one later in the year.
I want to be able to go more miles between filling up.
I want to have hard paniers and a top box for the wife to rest on.
I want an engine that's got a bit of grunt. I don't want to lose that fantastic sensation of torque pulling me along that I get with my S4R.
I want something reliable & good quality.
I don't want to it to look like some old geeza's bike.

What do you reckon I should look at ? :look:

spm23
11-02-2008, 03:18 PM
BMW R1200GS Adventure. Torquey, 1 fill will last you a day's riding, boxer is super reilable. If a big trailie is not your thing then any R1200 with paniers will do.

banditloon
11-02-2008, 03:20 PM
VFR or a Beemer

Albie
11-02-2008, 03:24 PM
BMW. Theres a dealership at caterham on the hill not too far from you. Even got a cafe inside. Check it out.

Very sensible bike if moneys not an issue.

Pedro
11-02-2008, 03:31 PM
What about a Multistrada?

Gilps
11-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Take a look at BMW's range. Some of the older 1150 boxer tourers are well priced now.
I saw this from Victory at the NEC and loved it. Maybe this is what you are looking for
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory/Vision/Experience/

Blind Alan
11-02-2008, 03:36 PM
What about a 1050 sprint ?

Pedro
11-02-2008, 03:36 PM
The Victory bike? That definitely got hit by the ugly truck.... jeez Gilps, you been sniffing the glue again?

Nickj
11-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Honda V4, probably the 800. Engines superb, and lots of plastics to break when you drop it LOL

desmo
11-02-2008, 03:59 PM
For value for money, you can't beat the new Suzuki Bandit 1250 GT.
Comes fully faired with hard luggage & Garrmin Sat Nav for about £6700 otr

I roadtested the SA model, it goes like hell & pulls from nowhere, peak power is really low in the rev range.
Tis an excellent bike.

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/bike/bandit1250gt/k8/

J.P
11-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Please steer clear of anything that looks like the Victory !
No Pan European's either.

I'm guessing I'd be leaning towards a sports-tourer in some way.

I quite like the look of the Triumph Sprint ST, even the wife said 'The blue one looks pretty'. A bit sporty, a bit practical.
The same for the BMW, something like the K1200 S.

J.P
11-02-2008, 04:08 PM
For value for money, you can't beat the new Suzuki Bandit 1250 GT.
Comes fully faired with hard luggage & Garrmin Sat Nav for about £6700 otr

I roadtested the SA model, it goes like hell & pulls from nowhere, peak power is really low in the rev range.
Tis an excellent bike.

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/bike/bandit1250gt/k8/

that's not a bad idea, a good all-rounder like the Bandit or the Fazer, and really good value too.

Gilps
11-02-2008, 04:19 PM
The Victory bike? That definitely got hit by the ugly truck.... jeez Gilps, you been sniffing the glue again?

Yes, am I not supposed to? Did you see it in the flesh at the NEC. It's enormous and totally left field. Coool.

Gilps
11-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Please steer clear of anything that looks like the Victory !
No Pan European's either.

I'm guessing I'd be leaning towards a sports-tourer in some way.

I quite like the look of the Triumph Sprint ST, even the wife said 'The blue one looks pretty'. A bit sporty, a bit practical.
The same for the BMW, something like the K1200 S.

Now you are talking. The K engine is awesome. 160bhp. yum

cakes
11-02-2008, 04:20 PM
I ride 30 miles into London two up every day on a VFR and I can't fault it, very comfy for the pillion (so Devil Child tells me) even on longer rides. It doesn't have the grunt of a Monster, it rides like a sportsbike and has a real boost at 7000 RPM when the Vtec kicks in. We've only had it a few months but it's had no problems at all even though it sits outside in the cold.

J.P
11-02-2008, 04:22 PM
What about a Multistrada?

I'm not sure I actually like the look of the Strada. I find I've got to like the look of the bike too. No good having a bike you think isn't good looking because everytime you approach it you'll be thinking you've made the wrong choice.

J.P
11-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Do they make the VFR anymore ? Doesn't look like it to me.
I've heard very good thinks about them. Actually I was with an IAM instructor on Sunday who was on his 5th one !

Nickj
11-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Dare to be different LOL
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/custom_whitesidecar1.html
Might clash with the "I want something reliable & good quality &
I don't want to it to look like some old geeza's bike."
But you'd be setting yourself up for the future, plently of space to stow the flat cap and slippers

Dare to be bizarre
http://www.imz-ural.com/wolf/
LOL maybe be a case of lest said the better

620 numptistrada

J.P
11-02-2008, 04:31 PM
I was born in enfield, but I think that's as close as I'll ever come to owning one of those.

Nickj
11-02-2008, 04:44 PM
The VFRs went off a bit when they cobbled the VTEC onto them, the pre VTEC series were slightly more reliable and had flatter torque/power curves. Then given the V4's are probably Hondas best ever motor, and bullet proof the slightly comment is a bit relative. The majority get shimmed once or twice in the motors life!!
On the VFR I had you just picked the speed you liked, kept filling the tank, and kept going till your neck felt like it was going to snap. That was 300 and some miles at just under 120, LOL probably manage stacks more now as the Monnies toughened me up a little

JMo
11-02-2008, 05:03 PM
I'd do what Albie suggested (South London Motorcycles) but wait until March when the GS800 comes out - similar to the 1200 visually, but nearly £3000 cheaper! - and with a parallel twin (85bhp ish, same as the old 1150 boxer) and without the silly pistons sticking out! Best get your order in now though, I reckon there'll be a list*...

xxx

*mind you, there could also be a lot of 1200's part ex'd come March too... x

J.P
11-02-2008, 05:11 PM
coo. thanks JMo

Matt Black
11-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Yes, am I not supposed to? Did you see it in the flesh at the NEC. It's enormous and totally left field. Coool.

It should be left in an enormous field yes.....

I bought a K1200R last month so would vouch for the K1200 S. Very expensive to buy though, and heavy. VFR two up with luggage not my idea of fun

Get yourself a go on a Blackbird instead, its the only way to fly.

nambduke
11-02-2008, 06:01 PM
One word of caution on the VFR. Young Richard Namduke has a pre VTEC version and solo, it's fine. But, put someone on the back and the front end is very vague - might be better if I had time to set the suspension up, but the only word of caution......overall though a cracking bike - without any soul whatsoever.

Regards,
Mark Nambduke

Paivi
11-02-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure I actually like the look of the Strada. I find I've got to like the look of the bike too. No good having a bike you think isn't good looking because everytime you approach it you'll be thinking you've made the wrong choice.
A friend of mine had a Multistrada; after one ride, the missus refused to get on it ever again, as she was in pain all over and had to be helped off it. The bike had to go and the mere word 'Multistrada' still brings her out in cold sweat. They now ride a 1098.

neilbaldry
11-02-2008, 07:49 PM
hows about a BMW F800S?

if your thinking of something like a fazer, then you have a very large genre of bikes you can consider, like:

Bandit S
Z750S
Hornet S
CBF1000F
CB1300S Bol D'or
SV1000S
dullsville?

or something more like a:
trumpet tiger
transalp
africa twin

hope that helps a bit?

Will
11-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Been thinking about this for a little while and will probably add one later in the year.
I want to be able to go more miles between filling up.
I want to have hard paniers and a top box for the wife to rest on.
I want an engine that's got a bit of grunt. I don't want to lose that fantastic sensation of torque pulling me along that I get with my S4R.
I want something reliable & good quality.
I don't want to it to look like some old geeza's bike.

What do you reckon I should look at ? :look:

BMW 1200GS - I love mine, it does everything and shrugs off pillions.

Only problem is that once you have ridden one for a few weeks every other bike then feels like a mini moto.

Forget the 800GS - it's a girls bike :D

Nickj
11-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Sheesh Not kidding there Will, I park next to a 1200GS most days, makes my 750 look very very tiny

Will
11-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Sheesh Not kidding there Will, I park next to a 1200GS most days, makes my 750 look very very tiny

Just one thought - unless you want ride the 'Road of Bones' then stick with the standard model cos the Adventure comes with semi-knobblies and spoked wheels (pain to clean).

The standard GS has a smaller 21 litre tank but will still do 200 miles between fill-ups.

banditloon
11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
My exs old man had at least 5 VFR's. He was (probably still is, but I'm staying away from the IAM) an IAM instructor, and loves the old 750 VFRs. They've been across to the south of France, and have covered a fair few miles over in dear old Blighty, he could never fault them. It hurts me to say it, but the old comfy, reliable Viffer is a good bike :D

neilbaldry
11-02-2008, 10:26 PM
It hurts me to say it, but the old comfy, reliable Viffer is a good bike :D

painful indeed!

JerryXt
12-02-2008, 06:52 AM
..but to be clear, you're not thinking of going to Italy on a tourer?

J.P
12-02-2008, 07:13 AM
NO WAY Jaeey. Taking Italy to Italy.

Will
12-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Another thought - The Honda Blackbird is a great bike, but not quite as comfortable and not as easy to load up with luggage as the BMW 1200GS. I had a test ride on one and loved it, fast and smooth, but gets bl**dy hot very quickly when tootling around town. Was touring in the South of France last year, matey has a Blackbird and he was really starting to cook once them temp got up to 30°C - whereas the Beemer hardly broke into a sweat - those sticky out cylinders keep the temp down very effectively. :D

jerry
12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
moto guzzi .. great italien tourers.

J.P
12-02-2008, 12:55 PM
those sticky out cylinders keep the temp down very effectively. :D

I'm not sure about that. When I dropped mine in Cape Town recently and was left spralled across the cylinder head, it was flippin' red hot !!

Matt Black
12-02-2008, 05:45 PM
If you don't like the blackbird idea go for ZZR 1200 - they were selling them with all the luggage before the 1400 came along

Guess an FJ1300 too old geezer 4 u

TDM not there as a two up tool but lots of fun

Whatever we come up with Mrs JP will have to sit on it and like it so......

Bodybag
12-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Ducati ST4S. 996 motor. Comes with Panniers and you can get a top box to fit. It actually has more torque than the superbike apparently, because of re-worked heads to give better midrange grunt!! :D

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ducatistore.co.uk/images/ducati_sport_touring/ducati_st4s_abs.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ducatistore.co.uk/ducati_st4s_abs.shtml&h=215&w=287&sz=15&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=9d-1_PL2n0YskM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=115&prev=/images%3Fq%3DDucati%2BST4S%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26s a%3DG

Or the newer ST3:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ducatistore.co.uk/images/ducati_sport_touring/ducati_st4s_abs.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ducatistore.co.uk/ducati_st4s_abs.shtml&h=215&w=287&sz=15&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=9d-1_PL2n0YskM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=115&prev=/images%3Fq%3DDucati%2BST4S%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26s a%3DG

neilbaldry
12-02-2008, 10:35 PM
just cos you want one Phil! i do like the look of the ST4

ianroberts
13-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Triumph Sprint ST with the 1050 engine,lots of torque and great for touring being well comfy and with room for luggage

Bodybag
13-02-2008, 11:24 PM
just cos you want one Phil! i do like the look of the ST4

Yeah but no but yeah but...Oh alright, yes I do. But I'm not getting one as I have the 996 to finish building and the 749S to straighten again!! :(

MrsJel
14-02-2008, 09:06 PM
My hubby has had 1050 sprint st (the nice blue one) and now has a 955 tiger - he's a fan 14,000 miles on the tigger in a year. Pillion comfy on both - although our son prefers the tiger.

Carole

J.P
21-02-2008, 01:28 PM
ok, i've got myself a test ride this Saturday morning for a Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Also going to have a look only, at a Suzuki Bandit 1250 GT with all the luggage too.

I think I already know which one I'm going to like more, but it's not about me, it's about the wife & luggage capacity. So we'll see.

MilesB
22-02-2008, 07:43 AM
TDM not there as a two up tool but lots of fun

:scratch:
TDM is a great two up tool - used one 2up to get to Corsica and Tuscany (different trips) - 2 grown ups, 2 42 lt hard panniers, tank bag and rack... cheap to run and insure, and got us there before the BMWs a few times :mand:

J.P
25-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Well, I tried the Triumph Sprint ST 1050 out on Saturday and was really quite impressed. Maybe even more than I'd like to admit.
There was a point where I actually felt 'Wow, this is so much less stressfull than riding my Monster'. Shame on me right ?

The Sprint ST 1050 had plenty of oomph, smooth motor, but you need to get it further up the rev range to really get it going. Not the raw power of my SR4 which really involves you, but the Sprint would get you there just as quickly I'm sure.
Much lighter to steer & turn and gave me plenty of confidence too.
Downsides are the fact that it doesn't give you that same feeling of power as my bike. It has very bouncy mirrors when at motorway speeds, and the riding position isn't as relaxed as I think they'd like you to think (rider position to bars felt very similar to the Monster).

But all in all I was really impressed & may be adding one to my stable soon.
I'm sure the wife would be very comfy on the back.

Will
25-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Well, I tried the Triumph Sprint ST 1050 out on Saturday and was really quite impressed. Maybe even more than I'd like to admit.
There was a point where I actually felt 'Wow, this is so much less stressfull than riding my Monster'. Shame on me right ?

The Sprint ST 1050 had plenty of oomph, smooth motor, but you need to get it further up the rev range to really get it going. Not the raw power of my SR4 which really involves you, but the Sprint would get you there just as quickly I'm sure.
Much lighter to steer & turn and gave me plenty of confidence too.
Downsides are the fact that it doesn't give you that same feeling of power as my bike. It has very bouncy mirrors when at motorway speeds, and the riding position isn't as relaxed as I think they'd like you to think (rider position to bars felt very similar to the Monster).

But all in all I was really impressed & may be adding one to my stable soon.
I'm sure the wife would be very comfy on the back.

Latest bike magazine seem to be damining it with faint praise.

I was considering a Sprint ST 1050 before I bought the Beemer - it's a nice bike, but overall quality of finish is a bit tacky and durability looks suspect.

J.P
25-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I suppose the phrase 'It is British' goes hand in hand with it Will.
Seemed ok. Like the look of it more than the BM's. And it's and in between size too, not too big for me & not too small for the pillion.

Guzzirider
25-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I wanted a new touring bike to rack the miles up on- have just ordered one of these in black- will be one of the first to hit these shores:
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4733/pict04101st5.jpg

J.P
25-02-2008, 02:08 PM
So that'll make 6 bikes you'll have then Guzzi ?

desmo
25-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Hmm, I quite like that, it looks comfy.
Guzzi seem to be turning out some half decent bikes at long last.
Only trouble is that the dealer network coverage seems poor in the uk?

Guzzirider
25-02-2008, 03:13 PM
4 bikes now (just sold 2), and they are shared with Mrs Guzzirider, so I'm not as greedy as it sounds! And one of those is still in bits!

Guzzi dealer coverage is mixed for sure- I luckily have a good dealer down the road in Shipley Moto Strada.

J.P
05-03-2008, 01:07 PM
OK, I've done it. Picked out a nice Triumph Sprint ST 1050 to add to my stable of, one bike.
I liked the luggage space, the lightness, smoothness and the space for the wife for a few more weekends away.
Hopefully pick it up in a week or so. Oh, and it's the pretty blue one.

jerry
05-03-2008, 01:14 PM
If i could get a Guzzi in Thailand it would be bye bye Ducati,, I can get Triumphs but the latest 3 cylinder engines are too prone to big end and camshaft faliure...read the Triumph forums an aweful lot of 675 and 1050 massie blowups.

Matt Black
05-03-2008, 01:30 PM
OK, I've done it. Picked out a nice Triumph Sprint ST 1050 to add to my stable of, one bike.
I liked the luggage space, the lightness, smoothness and the space for the wife for a few more weekends away.
Hopefully pick it up in a week or so. Oh, and it's the pretty blue one.

Never mind the press and the scary forums, you have chosen wisely and I am sure you will enjoy it.

J.P
05-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm going to agree with you there Keith.

Matt Black
05-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm going to agree with you there Keith.

Thanks JP, that's a phrase that isn't used very much on this forum!!!

JerryXt
05-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I've never heard it :cry:

JP, make sure you keep putting oil in it - they're supposed to push it out of the exhaust a lot.

J.P
05-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Yep I've heard that Jerry. I'm betting mine will be the best made on a Friday, just before the tea break.

barbican
05-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Good choice I think, they look like a perfect complement to the Monster

MrsJel
06-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Oh, and it's the pretty blue one.

The best colour by miles - hope you both enjoy it. The triple engine seems to be quite good fun - lots of RAT riders wouldn't be without them!

Carole

MrsJel
06-03-2008, 07:52 PM
...read the Triumph forums an aweful lot of 675 and 1050 massie blowups.

If you do read them, just get a huge pinch of salt and think as you've found with ducatis - its generally a minority that are troublesome.

My husband did 16000+ miles in just under 2 years without trouble and would still have the bike if we'd not got a good price for his ST together with my Daytona against the Tiger.

Don't know where you're getting the bike from, but our local RAT is a pretty well organised/attended.

Carole

NEAN&chris
06-03-2008, 08:43 PM
My dream is to have an S2r but as i have to learn to ride first, I now have a cruiser YES! a jinlun...............BUT the seat's very comfy!

Have fun

Chris & Nean
06-03-2008, 08:50 PM
And here is a picture of you on ur touring bike nean, you did 65 on it today following me and it aint hardly run in yet and its only a 125.