PDA

View Full Version : Main Relay on S4 and starting problem.

IpauloGTS
09-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I've encountered starting problems after a couple of weeks of the bike sitting and am attempting to trace the problem.

Firstly I am working in the dark literally and metaphorically and would like to find the mythical yellow relay (mentioned often in my searching) that doesn't appear to be under the seat of my 02 S4. The whereabouts of the side stand relay would be useful too.

I'm getting a click at the solenoid when I press the starter (curiously the fuel light blinks at the same time) and all the instruments and lights are fine. The battery is a month old YUASA so I don't expect it need upkeep at the moment given that the old used one would stand sitting for a while without failing to crank the engine. I've stuck the optimate on it anyway.

I've checked the connection to the starter which is clean, tight and well greased and will look at the main earth next. The solenoid is a bit awkward to access by the looks of things but I suppose that could have just given up on me.

Any advice gratefully considered so that I can ride tomorrow!

Cheers,

Paul.

Scotty
09-02-2008, 08:52 PM
since you have a proper bike (water cooled) there is no yellow relay

in the past I've been able to give the connector to the solenoid a wiggle and that has fixed all problems

however blinking fuel light at the same time ? hummmm with the headlight on does it dim when you press the start button ?

and can you hear the fuel pump prime then stop with ignition on ?

with the blinking fuel light id maybe have a look at the connector under the tank, it does sit right on top of the engine

IpauloGTS
09-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Yes, the fuel pump primes and...

I've just gone back out to the bike after an hour or so on the Optimate and there was the first hint of the engine turning.

I suppose I need to look at why a brand new battery would drain down so quickly. There's the datatool alarm but that's always been there and as I say with a much older battery I have left it for longer without bother.

Hmmm...not my strongpoint auto-electrical matters.

What are you wiggling exactly. Presumably there's a connection from the battery to the solenoid and from there to the starter. What else goes to the solenoid?

Thanks for the help.

Scotty
09-02-2008, 10:19 PM
http://www.drscott.plus.com/relay.jpg

think this connector is zip tied on, on my SS

if your battery is trashed already id suspect a short to earth or horror of horrors the alarm maybe

oh the recent battery trashing on my SS was due to the reg/rec unit, so the battery never got charged when the engine was running

IpauloGTS
09-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks again - it seems that the battery and tray need to be removed on the S4 first to get at the solenoid.

I'll have to hope that the battery is still in good shape -it wasn't completely discharged. I know cranking type batteries need to be kept up near optimum but I really don't think it should be necesary to keep them on a battery tender all the time.

I'll be having a good luck tomorrow - hopefully after some miles.

Cheers, Paul.

Scotty
09-02-2008, 10:45 PM
take some voltage measurement across the battery with engine running at idle and a few k rpm (if you get it going)

IpauloGTS
09-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Will do. I meant a good 'look' and not 'luck' - wishful thinking I suppose!

IpauloGTS
10-02-2008, 05:50 PM
The bike started fine this morning. After a 20 minute ride I checked the battery and it was showing 12.37 volts at rest and approx. 14.40 at idle and at about 3000 revs.

I don't know whether anything has changed or if I have just got lucky in the past. The alarm was fitted on purchase by the first owner and although I woudn't have installed it I'm not getting rid now.

I suppose I ought to do a test to check the drain on the battery now - any ideas?

Thanks, Paul.

dunlop0_1
10-02-2008, 05:56 PM
since you have a proper bike (water cooled) there is no yellow relay

in the past I've been able to give the connector to the solenoid a wiggle and that has fixed all problems

however blinking fuel light at the same time ? hummmm with the headlight on does it dim when you press the start button ?

and can you hear the fuel pump prime then stop with ignition on ?

with the blinking fuel light id maybe have a look at the connector under the tank, it does sit right on top of the engine

I'm sure your right but, my 748 has the infamous yellow relay. As does the 916/996. Always thought it was standard Ducati form to fit that ****ty little thing to every bike they make, i bet even that the desmosedici has one LOL.:biggrin: