PDA

View Full Version : Bike fell over, now it won't start

lianaroman
09-02-2008, 03:03 AM
My 1999 M750 was caught by the wind and was whipped off its suicide stand. Now it won't start!

Fuelling is good, starter motor turns and all the other electrics are fine, but there's no spark at either plug. I've had a good session trying to find the point of failure:
Battery's fine
All connections between the ignition, kill switch, coils, pickups and CDIs are fine
Coil resistances look good
HTs are all fine
Plugs are fine

...so this leaves the CDIs? I hope not, these aren't cheap! Does anyone know how you can check if these are ok? I compared the resistances between the pins of each unit, and they're different (see piccy). I don't know if this means only one is broken, or they're both broken in different ways!

I'd really appreciate any advice on this, thanks very much,

Liana

dunlop0_1
09-02-2008, 05:03 AM
Very odd, Louise has dropped hers several times and had no problem starting it again. My guess would still be a disturbed connection/fuse type thing.....

+ get rid of the suicide stand, its an easy mod.:thumbsup:

dunlop0_1
09-02-2008, 06:07 AM
just had another thought. Check the thick wire that comes out of the front of left side engine case. It might have got damaged in the fall. I think this comes from the pick up sensor that tells the ignition when to spark.

lianaroman
09-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks for that - I had a look, and everything seems to be in order. The resistances through the pickup wires are in the range endorsed by the Holy Haynes.

Any other thoughts?

Bodybag
09-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Kill switch?

Nickj
09-02-2008, 12:05 PM
If the bikes not got into a bog sulk about falling over then falling might have given the wiring loom a hard yank.
If all the obvious things fail have a try at checking continuity on some of the main circuits like the kill switch.
You think the bouncing up and down on roads is going to be no worse than falling over so shouldn't have 'broken' any of the electronics

jerry
09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
solenoid wire? flooded carbs?

lianaroman
09-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Kill switch is good, and the connector it goes to, and the connector just before the coils/CDIs....everything! Is it voodoo?

I emptied the carbs, and they seem to be fueling the cylinders ok. Still no spark....