PDA

View Full Version : Weekends R Us

benson
08-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Last autumn we had a mini weekender into Derbyshire which was a lot of fun and the place we stayed in was lovely - hot tub, lots of space, secure parking (even if I was too chicken to ride my bike up the gravel slope!!!) and of course lots of great biking roads. We went clay pigeon shooting, ate lots and drank lots too - twas a treat.

I'm more than happy to look into a similar venture again for this spring/summer/autumn if there's interest.

Also - I was over in Dorchester this week (working in Oxford...) and stayed in a fantastic pub called the Fleur De Lys - great rooms, BIG baths (OK I'm a girly and I like my baths big!!!), great beer - Hook Norton - and fantastic bar food. They have 4 or 5 double rooms which go for about £65 a night including the most fantastic brekkie - they'd be happy to have us book out a whole weekend if there's an interested group. There are fantastic roads nearby and a lot of fun to be had.

SO - Watch this space for suggested weekends and please post your ideas here too - it'd be good to have a few weekends to choose from in various parts of the country and to see some new faces joining in too!!!

Hurrah - bring on the spring...

LouSCannon
08-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Doubt I'm gonna get a proper holiday this year, loads of weddings, stag dos etc... so weekenders would be excellent!

singletrack
08-02-2008, 11:08 PM
I could definitely manage another mini weekender :mand:

I love Derbyshire and I love Hook Norton :booze: - either would be great.

benson
09-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Me too - there are even a couple of pubs in Hook Norton itself with b&b so we should get going!

I am more than happy to take the lead in finding somewhere - the Dorchester place was lovely and as they'd have 8 of us en masse it wouldn't have to be an enormous group AND there were several other places in the village with B&B too!!!

I'll start a thread.....

Headhunter
09-02-2008, 09:24 AM
I grew up in Dorchester on Thames and can definitely vouch for the local roads, scenery, hotels etc.

There's also a cracking road which Crust recommended to me a while back - A4011, which is not too far away.

Nonnie
09-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Please please please can it be a weekend I have a chance of attending?

I also want a pony too.

desmo
09-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Ok count me & the mrs in.
The more weekends the better.

Mand
09-02-2008, 07:08 PM
As KittyFiddler has got a fondness for nice weekends away, you count us in as well. :)

benson
11-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Can we have some dates then peeps??? I'm thinking May time but obviously not the weekender weekend - basically cos I can't do that one!!! June? July - one a month??? Hell what adventures we could have.....

singletrack
12-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Rachel - we are moving house this week - no proper internet access for about a month (damned BT/Tiscali!) please will you text me when you have details about when where etc so I can come?

I can't make 6-8 June but otherwise should be OK
Anne

squiffything
12-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Oh I think you can count Me and the lovely Sarah in again as long as it fits in with the weekends when we are children free. We will sit in a hottub where ever it may be and quaff champers all afternoon/evening. It will be good to see some of the Derbyshire peeps again and hopefully some new faces.

Graham

Nonnie
12-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Whenever I find my bloody diary, I will give you some dates!

Where the hell is it?

benson
12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
So we need dates from those with children - Graham and Sarah an Nonnie and Rod - let us know and I'll get cracking!!!

benson
12-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Oh forgot to say - Happy house moving Singletrack - hope all is well with you and yours - xxx

254graeme
12-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Hey all, as the newbie knowing this area can I come? Would be great to meet the bunch of ya all.

benson
12-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi there and of course! Can' t promise you'll want to meet us again tho!!! :rolleyes:

No seriously - would be good to add a few new faces to the old favourites! :mand: :mand: :mand:

Dorchester would be an ideal place I think - lots of B&Bs and good beer for evening refuelling!

As soon as we have some indicative May/June dates let's go for it!!!

scrumpster
12-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Now Dan's dad is having him more often I will have to see and I take it that's Dorchester in Oxfordshire not Dorset!!

Headhunter
12-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I take it that's Dorchester in Oxfordshire not Dorset!!

Aye. Is the village behind fox's cafe.

Gadget
16-02-2008, 04:57 PM
I would be happy to attend again. :)
Not really fussed about when or where.
Being able to get away and forget work for a while should be a tonic.:freak:

Count me in.

Nonnie
16-02-2008, 06:18 PM
These are all weekends beginning on the Friday

June
13th
27th

July
11th
25th

desmo
16-02-2008, 09:11 PM
July 25th is best for me!

254graeme
17-02-2008, 08:17 PM
July is good for me too, am touring at the start of June..... Was at Fox's today, really buey and sooooo bloody cold but the butties made up for it.

bigredduke
17-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Nonnie, nice to see another "Ring of Bright Water" fan! My mum took me to see it at the cinema & I cried!

Nonnie
17-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Nonnie, nice to see another "Ring of Bright Water" fan! My mum took me to see it at the cinema & I cried!

Oh God don't. Sat down with the kids a couple of weeks ago, never seen it before, had popcorn and everything and then wham, goodnight Vienna. I also cried too after I'd stopped screaming hysterically frightening the children even more. Rod spent days wandering the house going "Miiij, Miiiiij where are you?" We're seriously traumatised here what what.

benson
19-02-2008, 06:47 PM
So - are we up for a Dorchester weekend??? For those who want to ride ride ride there are plenty of great roads and for those who want to eat and drink and maybe ride some more there are plenty of great places to stay!!! The Fleur De Lys Inn has four double rooms and there are plenty of other pubs that also do rooms so we should be safe for space...

More than happy to look into getting the pub for the weekend OR a cottage for the three nights? Thing is with a cottage it's peak season and we won't get a short booking until really short notice before the date so I think the pub is looking like the best option!!!

Let me know - here's the date again and here's a list to add your name to!

July 25th Dorchester on Thames
Benson and Justine (need to think of a good name for her...)

Nonnie
19-02-2008, 06:59 PM
July 25th Dorchester on Thames
Benson and Justine (need to think of a good name for her...)
Nonnie and Rodders you tart

benson
02-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Anyone else interested in a weekend of lunacy?
There might also be some biking to be done :mand: :mand: :mand:

DavidEJM
03-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Just round the corner from me so it would be a poor show if I couldn't call in/meet up for rides or beer.

Just back from holiday at that point so the chances of me getting away longer would be slim.

squiffything
03-04-2008, 07:57 AM
have just seen this thread I will have a chat with Sarah (my fiance don't you know :) ) tonight and see if it's a weekend we can do.

Headhunter
03-04-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm touring the U.............S of A, but I hope you guys have a great time. As Benson says - fantastic roads - great scenery and some great places to stop off at for food etc.

singletrack
03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
A ha! Just seen this thread.

i would love to come but am not sure at the moment. Need to have a chat with my other ( richer) half.

Mand
03-04-2008, 01:48 PM
aww no! We will have to bow out of this one I'm afraid. Dave's sister is getting wed. :)

benson
03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Here's hoping - and have a fabby weddingy type time Mand!!!

254graeme
29-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Is the weekend still on?

benson
30-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Hello there peeps - to be honest it never got past the planning stage as no one was really sure they would be around and everyone also seemed to have cash flow problems!

I am more than happy to look into something if there's a demand - but don't want to over crowd events as I know a fair few of the usual suspects are also contemplating the Belgium run in September!

Nonnie
30-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Ooops I have accepted a wedding invitation, a barbecue invitation and it's also the Southen Italian thing as well that weekend is it not?

However had I remembered there was this, I'd probably have given it all up and done it.

Italian thing anyone then>

slob
30-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Italian thing?

Nonnie
30-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Yes, the Italian thing!

There is an Italian weekend at Southend if I got that right. There is a thread here somewhere, I'll go look it up.

Edited to say "No Nonnie you got that COMPLETELY wrong! It's in August. What a silly idiot I am.

slob
30-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Aha, I misinterpreted your typo as 'Southern Italian' rather than 'Southend Italian'.
Shame, I was looking forward to a rideout to Palermo.

Nonnie
30-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Ah, that's because I forgot the D in Southend did I not?

One day, slobbydoggy, we shall ride through Italy, eat fab food, drink cool beer and get deported.

benson
30-06-2008, 09:03 AM
SOuthend or Palermo - I see not the difference....

Meanwhile here's to the weather behaving itself and me having some evenings and weekends to play out!

ANyone going to the Buell bash on the 19th July? sorry - I am hijacking my own thread again!!!

254graeme
30-06-2008, 05:16 PM
No worries. Thanks for the reply though