PDA

View Full Version : Bl***y Suicidal Pedestrians

sieman
05-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Just had an off after a myopic pedestrian walked straight out in front of me while I was filtering through New Cross. What pisses me off was she was only a couple of yards from a crossing.

The road was a bit wet and after braking hard the front tucked and down I went. Nice lorry driver held up the traffic took my bike to the side of the road and got me a cup of tea.

I didn’t hit the pedestrian who seemed convinced it was my Fault! until the drivers all around shouted at her for not looking and not using the crossing.

Bike got off lightly those R&G crashbungs sure saved me alot of dosh.
Apart from a few scuffs, the gear lever end snapped and the bike wouldn’t start? Clocks all okay just the starter motor not engaging Anyone know why?

Phoned the insurance company who then informed me I was not covered for Accident recovery. Phoned me mates with vans—none available—Police wanted to charge me £150. Finally after a 4hr wait SOS Recovery turned up relieved me of £70 which seemed reasonable.

Thought I better check myself out bruised ribs and right thumb.
3 hours in casualty and I’ve broken a bone and torn a ligament in my thumb.

I’ve now got a cast on my hand which will put me out of action for a month,

I know I’ve got away lighlty but still
utterly pissed off,

Justin

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Nonnie
05-02-2008, 11:09 AM
That's a bummer isn't it?

Sorry for you, seems so unfair.

Well done for dodging her really though.

J.P
05-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Sorry to hear that Justin. All the best for a speedy recovery.

David Matthews
05-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Sorry to hear it. I hope that you recover quickly and that there isn't too much wrong with the bike.

Very similar to what happened to Ewan McGregor shortly before Long Way Down. It's a shame pedestrians don't seem to be accountable for their actions

Diego
05-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Justin. Sry to hear this m8. Wish you a speedy recovery!

I have been so close to hit peds whilst filtering because they they simply do not look to their RIGHT AND LEFT before popping out. No to sound misogynistic but twice in the last 4 months I nearly hit a dumba*se girl with a deathwish. Damned scary!!!!

If you get into trouble again needing sum1 with a van very quickly call Ray at Rosso Corse they have multiple numbers at hand to collect against fair prices.

JerryXt
05-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Very sorry to hear about this. I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago - I hit the plonker and was nearly bounced into the front of an oncomming car.

At least you're mostly ok.

Re this:

Sorry to hear it. I hope that you recover quickly and that there isn't too much wrong with the bike.

Very similar to what happened to Ewan McGregor shortly before Long Way Down. It's a shame pedestrians don't seem to be accountable for their actions

they ARE accountable, just that no-one sues them properly.

Get loud cans - that helps in town.

retskcid
05-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Sorry to hear that Justin and hope you recover quickly.

That's the route I use every day and when filtering (esp. stationery traffic) I expect them to walk out - I have had many near misses over the past ten years. The other thing to watch out for is vehicles coming out between a gap. For that reason I now use the bus lanes on much of my route (ride near the path) as it is much safer and you are more visible.

I am glad the other drivers took care of you - good on them.

scrumpster
05-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Regretfully it can happen with cars too, pulling out from side exits. Just need eyes everywhere!! Luckily I have no filtering to do these days. Shame you didn't get the woman's details as you had plenty of witnesses. Hope the thumb is fixed soon!

Headhunter
05-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Really annoying to read this, Justin. Like many others I had a similar experience today and we'll all probably have the same for years to come while we commute in London.

Glad to hear the bikes ok (to an extent) - R&G crash bungs are such a good investment.

Hope the bones recover quickly and hats off to the lorry driver!

Devil Child
05-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Get loud cans - that helps in town.

We've roared at pedestrians, on an R6 with race cans. They've not even looked round, even though they were ambling round in the middle of an A road, in London, in the rush hour http://forums.snapstream.com/public_html/ubb/rolleyes.gif .

Sorry to hear about the off, and the thumb :(

Didge
05-02-2008, 04:26 PM
they ARE accountable, just that no-one sues them properly.

Don't get me started on bloody peds. I could rant all day long about those idiots.:mad:
You are of course, correct Jerry. Peds have to abide by the highway code as much as drivers/riders.
The authorities would do well to turn some of the attention they reserve for drivers/riders, to the peds.
They are a f'king danger to themselves, and to road users. :mad:
Glad you're relatively ok Justin.

gremlin
05-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Hope the plod are going to do her for jaywalking. It seems everyone has forgotten that it is an offence. My ex father in law got done for it years ago, and he didn't cause any damage. Perhaps it could be persued.

gary tompkins
05-02-2008, 05:40 PM
The problem is a lot of pedestrians & cyclists wear friggin i-pods. The tossers won't hear a thing with those things blasting away, so little wonder they walk out into traffic. I nearly flattened a guy in tunbridge one morning when he stepped out in front my van, and the d1ckhead was only 10yds from a pelican crossing too.

Mobile phones also cause a lot of accidents for the same reason

gremlin
05-02-2008, 06:29 PM
That's part of it but I also think they just have no regard for other road users. We had a pair of bogwoppits walk straight out in front of us the other day, the lights had gone green and they just sauntered across the road, glaring at us as if they were daring us to run them over. I had a few choice words to say about it and had I been driving I may have let the foot slip off the clutch a bit. I don't think the gene pool would have missed them. It's always the motorists fault whatever the circumstances these days.
It's like the case the other day of a lass being done for manslaughter for running over a cyclist while on the phone. The cyclist was running a red light at the time. Yes she should be punished for being on the phone but the cyclist was also in part responsible for his death because he ran the light, had he not done so he would still be alive. But it's all biased in favour of anyone not in a car or on a bike.

Lucati
07-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Sorry to hear that - we must be nuts to commute in London but the idea of the train or underground is just horrible!

My mate had the same thing happen in New Cross - it's busy around there and he was a fairly new rider - Sadly he totally wiped the bike out and so I tried convincing him to replace with a monster but he's gone and bought another SV!
Also had a 4x4 pull out of a side turning straight into the side of my mrs driving our A3 with little one in the back - my family were fine, car was well mashed and the 4x4 - not a scratch! When the woman driving it got out my little boy was hysterical - saying 'Mummy my head hurts!' at which point the lady driver broke down in tears and admitted all liability there and then - she's lucky my wife was driving! Be careful out there people!!!!

ladybird
07-02-2008, 03:51 PM
ditto on the don't get me started
i did convert a lemmingped friend the other day by making her use every crossing properly when we went out for some drinks in Putney - one of my favourite places to nearly kill people and also explained at great length why i am a so adamant about using crossings, even in the middle of nowhere

i stop for 99% zebra crossings even when there is nothing behind me, i'm less inclined to stop when someone is ****ing about in the middle of the road

i did take out a old man about 11 years ago, who wandered into the road 2 meters from a crossing that was in don't walk mode

see dammit you got me started ;)

gremlin
07-02-2008, 05:04 PM
But there is a law against jaywalking so why don't people use it to get some recompense for the damage and stress. If more people used it perhaps pedestrians would be less inclined to walk out in the road as if they owned it. It's all loaded against anyone in or on a vehicle but if we all used the law against the muppets maybe we could reclaim the road! You've got me started now! In cases where a vehicle has mounted a pavement it's fair to throw the book at the driver/rider but where a pedestrian has walked out in front of a vehicle which is travelling in it's rightful place the driver/rider should be able to claim for damages.

kkapp
07-02-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm still pretty paronoid about crossing the streets here. I'm used to traffic driving on the opposite side and the buses here seem to come out of no where.

gremlin
07-02-2008, 05:29 PM
I must admit I nearly got flattened by a bus but that was because the council changed a one way street to a two way for buses and after only having to look one way for 40 odd years it was alien to have to look the other way!

JerryXt
07-02-2008, 06:08 PM
40 years? Shurely a typo :D

Capo
07-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Are not the zig zags on a crossing also there to indicate to predestrians that is not permitted for them to cross in this zone?

Nonnie
07-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Are not the zig zags on a crossing also there to indicate to predestrians that is not permitted for them to cross in this zone?

You are right.

gary tompkins
07-02-2008, 10:27 PM
I thought it was to stop cars from parking on the approach :confused:

tolski
07-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your off Justin. Hope the injuries heal soon. Hats off to all you city commuters it must be a nightmare. I try to avoid city riding but last year whilst riding through Barcalona my throttle hand cramped up from having two fingers hovering over the brake lever...just in case!

Nonnie
08-02-2008, 08:55 AM

As well as any pedestrians crossing at this point Gary, it has many useful purposes!

Nonnie (an avid reader of the new revised Highway Code. How sad)

Didge
08-02-2008, 02:54 PM
As well as any pedestrians crossing at this point Gary, it has many useful purposes!

Nonnie (an avid reader of the new revised Highway Code. How sad)

I'm now sitting here, with a picture in my head of our Non, all curled up on the sofa in front of a warm fire.
With one hand, she selects choccies from a box left over from Christmas, in her other hand, she holds a smallish book which she is studiously reading, and thus fast becoming the UKMOC expert on all things road craft, and chocolatey.

gremlin
08-02-2008, 08:11 PM

yer sweet talkin barsteward :D :D :D

sieman
08-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Hello all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your kind comments. Just 3 weeks or so to go and I’ll be back on the bike.

Got me thinking though. Rather than risk my pride and joy on the daily commute I’m thinking of buying a hack that
a) I wont mind riding in the rain/salt
b)wont care if it gets knocked about abit.

However I do fancy a KTM duke 2 (I’d have to fit alowering kit as I‘m abit short in the leg) But I guess the way to go is CB500 or ER5. Anyone got anything they’re about to sell?

As for the S2R1000 I need a gear lever and a bar end—anyone got any?

Also for some reason the Bike won’t start. The clocks do their usual twirl round but the stater motor doesn’t kick in.
Have I damaged the built in immobiliser?
Anyone have any idea what could cause this?

The bike was still running on its side after the crash and I switched it off as soon as I could get to it.

I have had problems in the past with the switch that goes into the back of the engine but no fiddling about has sorted it.

Thanks again everyone, good to know I’m not alone,

Just can’t wait to get back on the road,

Cheers,

Justin

jerry
09-02-2008, 12:59 AM
sue the silly bitch for damages in the small claims court

Nonnie
09-02-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm now sitting here, with a picture in my head of our Non, all curled up on the sofa in front of a warm fire.
With one hand, she selects choccies from a box left over from Christmas, in her other hand, she holds a smallish book which she is studiously reading, and thus fast becoming the UKMOC expert on all things road craft, and chocolatey.

That's pretty close to the truth Didge.

However, I was already very good at chocolate!

Capo
09-02-2008, 08:06 AM

Also I believe you are not allowed to overtake within the zig zags

Mr Cake
09-02-2008, 08:12 AM
I've always said the 0 is too close to the 9.

Boss of all Bosses (more accurately, Capo di tutti Capi) ;) - The zig-zags mean you pretty much can't do anything (filtering, etc...) within that area.

Dave

sieman
22-02-2008, 03:15 PM
After emailing R&G to see if I could get a replacement left side crash bung instead of the whole kit, and thanking them for the great job the crash bungs did of minimising damage.

They offered me a free replacement or 40% discount on the new Aero style kit. All I had to do was send a few pics for use on their website.

One to look out for if the unfortunate happens to you.

Justin

paul33
22-02-2008, 06:18 PM
crap to her things like this it dunt half p u off hope u are well soon mate