PDA

View Full Version : I need a winter hack

barbican
02-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Decided today that I didn't want the RS covered in sh1t, and have to clean it up, but still wanted to go out for a ride.

So do I get an older Monnie or something different?

Hypermotard - Strudle - something with a fairing - GS?

Too many options

What most fun in crap weather?

Gilps
02-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I had a BMW F650GS for a while. It's not the most exciting of bikes, it won't set your world on fire. But they are very capable, will cruise at 90mph all day with luggage and still return 70 mpg. Great on back roads when you get it rolling. Very forgiving too. If you get one with heated grips and brush guards then your hands will be toasty. Loads of luggage options too. Mine had ABS, very handy to have.
The build quality is good too. Ride it on salty roads then just hose of with cold water. Great little bikes. Thye hold their value well too. The '04 onwards models were twin spark with a bit smoother power delivery.

retskcid
02-02-2008, 03:25 PM
I've been through a few bikes over the past 10 years and nothing has held out as long as the 2003 Transalp I've had now for four years. Not very quick or good looking but as an all weather, do anything bike it is hard to beat. And they dont come much more realiable. Cheap to run too.

S4Rs-Tone
02-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Decided today that I didn't want the RS covered in sh1t, and have to clean it up, but still wanted to go out for a ride.

So do I get an older Monnie or something different?

Hypermotard - Strudle - something with a fairing - GS?

Too many options

What most fun in crap weather?

yep i cleaned mine today , thought about going to my local store for a paper , but i decided that the 5 minute ride would mess up my work so rang my wife who was shopping to get me 1,i could fancy a trailie of some description the sought thats cheap and looks good being kept dirty.(no im not talking about the wife again):chuckle:

Nickj
02-02-2008, 09:30 PM
CRM 250 .... KDX 200 .... CCM .. If you fancy something in turgid grren then there are a few of the ex army 250 hondas around they have humungeous or possibly gibungeous acerbis fuel tanks and would look quite happy plastered in cack.

singletrack
02-02-2008, 09:51 PM
I went out on the Hypermotard today and it is fantastic in this weather.
Easy to ride, fun and it inspires confidence - I wouldn't really call it a "winter hack" though!
A numptystrada would be a good alternative though.

fatbloke
03-02-2008, 06:08 AM
620 multisrada great commuter bike

JerryXt
03-02-2008, 08:15 AM
KTM 950SM. Quality bits, v-twin, shrugs off salt and stuff, great riding position.

Now the 990SM is out, KTM are pushing the old ones out cheap.

benson
03-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Multi 620 (my mate Sharon has one) or GS65 gets my vote(s) - the hyper isn't a winter hack as there are too many exposed expensive bits but like Gilps I had a GS and it did me three winters very nicely indeed....

banditloon
03-02-2008, 08:54 AM
One of my biking chums has a Moto Morini 3 1/2 as a winter hack, just to keep his beemer looking nice... Strange people these biking folks!

How about a nice sensible Blandit 1200. Cheap as chips, and have the ability to lose your licence with one twist of the throttle :D Oh you also have to get used to seeing sky/road/sky/road until you get to 4th gear :chuckle:

barbican
03-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks all - that helps narrow it down a bit

F650gs or Strudle with an outsider KTM

I'll have to go and test some, not sure about a bandit though Loon:mand:

claicerrig
03-02-2008, 06:31 PM
My winter hack is a DRZ 400 with Supermoto wheels