PDA

View Full Version : Decisions decisions.......

Lost Again
01-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Been thinking over the last couple of days about what to do with the bike. My thoughts being that I was planning on dropping a 900 block into my bike but chances are after a while I'd be wanting more again....

Choices are, do I put a 900 in on flatslides and accept that that's how much power I've got and be happy.

Or...

Do I tidy up the couple of niggly bits on the bike, sell it, take out a graduate loan to cover the difference and go out and buy an S4R.....

I know which is the sensible option, but I also know which I'd rather do. Hmm...

giler
01-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Been thinking over the last couple of days about what to do with the bike. My thoughts being that I was planning on dropping a 900 block into my bike but chances are after a while I'd be wanting more again....

Choices are, do I put a 900 in on flatslides and accept that that's how much power I've got and be happy.

Or...

Do I tidy up the couple of niggly bits on the bike, sell it, take out a graduate loan to cover the difference and go out and buy an S4R.....

I know which is the sensible option, but I also know which I'd rather do. Hmm...

Build it, don't buy it!
Anyways you know you really don't want that rad!!

neilbaldry
01-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Anyways you know you really don't want that rad!!

yeah so get an S2R 1000 instead!

CK & AK
01-02-2008, 02:49 PM
yeah so get an S2R 1000 instead!

Stirrer!! :D

yeah - go for the 1000ds lump :cool:

C

neilbaldry
01-02-2008, 03:05 PM
what? meeeeeeeee?!

Black Ferret
01-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Owned an S4r for last three years and it's a load of fun. I rode (and still own) a '93 900ss two years before I bought the s4r.

The 996's has got bags more power than the 900 and just keeps pulling where the 900 runs out. IMHO I'm definitely faster across the mountain in the IoM on the s4r; it's great having that extra power to be able to blast past slower traffic, large packs of Harleys :scratch:, and cope with visitors that are unsure as to which side of the road to ride on.

There again, in the tight and twisties it would be hard to argue the toss. The 900's got plenty round the lanes, sweet as :spin: Lighter handling too, but that could be the riding position.

I'm not getting into the aesthetics debate. I've got a water cooled bike with a tail chop, I haven't got a leg to stand on.

Got to ask yourself three questions. What do I want from my bike? When do I want it? HTF am I gonna get the cash?

NattyBoy
01-02-2008, 04:37 PM
S4R every time...erm did I mention im selling one - ? lol !

Black Ferret
01-02-2008, 04:59 PM
go for the 1000ds lump

That sounds like a good idea. Had a blast on a multistrada and the engine winds up a treat.

Lost Again
01-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Hmm, I really wouldn't mind a 1000DS block in my bike. Problem is I really can't find one. Even if one does come up by the time I've bought block, throttle bodies, loom etc etc. its going to cost a fair bit. Have to think about where I'm going to draw the line as to how much money I put into a '94 600. Its been far too much already!
I could choose to buy an M1000 or an S2R but if I'm going to buy a new bike I want something I'll be happy with for at least the next few years. Problem I can see is getting bored. Call it a young and foolish thing but when I had my bro's R6 for 3 months I was wishing for more poke and that had been dyno'd at 111BHP at the wheel. Granted the 1000DS block would have more torque but I think realistically it's the extra poke of a water cooled block I'm after. Radiator or not!!

Either way it's going to be mid March before I've got the readys in my hand so time to decide. Just thinking about it.....

And Natty, if you've still got the bike in 6 weeks or so I may be asking for more info!

Scotty
01-02-2008, 07:24 PM
you really must be chasing the higher 3 figure speeds to need more than 111 bhp

though it is the way you get there I guess

having said that 'downgrading' to a rough 750 2 valve - it just doesn't go like the Monster, and I miss it :(

bod
01-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Has this bike ever seen the road since you started rebuilding it?

Last I saw was the engine on a dyno at uni?

Lost Again
01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
you really must be chasing the higher 3 figure speeds to need more than 111 bhp

though it is the way you get there I guess

having said that 'downgrading' to a rough 750 2 valve - it just doesn't go like the Monster, and I miss it :(

As you say, its how it gets there..
And before anyone else says it, yeah i'm young and silly, and like fast bikes..
The aircooled engines are never really going to manage that.

Lost Again
01-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Has this bike ever seen the road since you started rebuilding it?

Last I saw was the engine on a dyno at uni?

Engine came off the dyno rig at uni about a year and a half ago I think.
Haha, aye its been out once or twice since may. The weekender was its 1st outing (MOT'd 2 hours before I set off!). Since then done about 3.5-4k miles this year.
Which is why I've come to the conclusion that whatever I decide the 600 block has to go!