PDA

View Full Version : Petrol and performance

Humbucker
29-01-2008, 09:06 PM
While out on sunday i didnt fill up at my normal station. The bike hasn't missed a beat since i bought but for the first time it started to run like a dog. Coughing and spluttering and sever popping from the airbox unless i was gunning it hard. Would the petrol have anything to do with this.

Nonnie
30-01-2008, 06:30 AM
Hard to say but there have been some dodgy petrol in stations before.

Humbucker
02-02-2008, 03:45 PM
So today i go for a ride down to southend with the bike still sputtering. Fuel light comes on so i fill up at a BP. New petrol and the bike runs perfect. Note to self- dont use total it is crap :fiery:

gremlin
02-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Tother halfs Fazer runs better on some types of petrol, I think it's Tescos that makes it run the worst and BP is it's favourite. Someone told me the supermarkets get old petrol which is why it's so cheap.

Pedro
03-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Most petrol stations stocks of petrol come from the same storage tanks at the depots (watched five different tankers filling up at Fawley one day..) so it's unlikely the brand is key to good performance. What is more likely to be an issue is how fresh the stock is and how clean the stations pumps and tanks are.

nambduke
03-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Petrol comes from the same supplies. The main difference are the additives (detergents, octane boosters etc) added by each company - achieved by dosing by the road tankers. As for performance, most fuels give similar results - see Which - where the more expensive fuels gave no benefits. Modern fuel does loss it's octane rating when stored for long periods. That said, most engines can run on 92 octane before you can physically notice any difference in terms of outright performance.

Fuel can be contaminated by water if the storage is suspect. Maybe that could be an issue depending on where you bought you fuel? Our local petrol station charges a fortune so doesn't sell huge quantities so fuel can stand for a longer period than Tescos or Morrisons for example?

Just some thoughts?

Regards,
Mark Nambduke