PDA

View Full Version : Driver development

Nonnie
28-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Well, I've had an interesting day so far. I've been on my employers Driver Development course to be assessed that I am actually safe enough to drive myself to my places of work without killing or maiming myself or others.

Things have changed since I learned to drive. I was told gears are for "going" not slowing, you're meant to just brake coming up to a stop and then clutch in at the last minute. You're supposed to be more environmentally friendly by being in as high a gear as possibly even when it sounds like it's going to stall or something (can't get used to that!) and I'm a bit of a habitual signaller apparently. I always thought it was better to signal than not and that way you won't get out of the habit but it's kind of unneccessary. I cover my clutch (in my defence I drive an automatic and was not in my car) and when I turn one arm seems to be over the middle of the steering wheel which means should the airbag go off, I will infact break my jaw with my arm, push it back and thus choke to death (Yikes)

I got excellents for my shoulder checks (knew that biking would come in handy) and for my attitude although I was told to stop being so nice to other road users! and I passed the assessment.

I did tell them I was horribly disappointed about not being able to go in the skid car on the track and was then invited to go back after this guy has trained the next lot of instructors so that they can then practise on me. Even nicer than that, they told me I can bring a friend! Hurrah!

So, some fundamental things have definitely changed in the way learner drivers are taught now than when I was learning 15 years ago but all good.

It was very good to know that I am a safe driver and I will give it a go putting all the new things I learned into practise.

Now when my bike is back together again, I have the chance to do a bike assessment too so obviously I'm not putting the wheels back on until the weather is kinder!

Nonnie
28-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Oh there so was a point to this. But I forgot.

What do you think your strengths or weaknesses are when it comes to driving? Or riding for that matter?

Would you get assessed to see if you were right? Or just to see maybe?

My strengths in riding are definitely that I am going slow enough to be able to think ahead and my weakness is cornering to the right plus a hundred and one other things no doubt.

gremlin
28-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I got told off for signalling too much on bike lessons which was against what I taught for car driving a few years ago. The gear thing is odd because on driving lessons I was taught to go down through the box when slowing so the engine doesn't have to struggle and obviously the reverse when speeding up. I was also told to slow down using the gears in wet or icy conditions and only use the brake when most of the speed had been scrubbed off.
I was commended on observation on the bike and I do find I'm doing lifesavers in the car too which has to be good. Luckily I haven't tried filtering in the car yet!

Albie
28-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I drive 40,000 + a year so maybe I shouldn't. I do use gears to slow down sometimes. It really depends on why. The speed of the driving around you or if you are in that sort of mood. I look around constantly like I'm riding and TBH I have slowed down to actual legal speeds since got 6 points. And that I now have a new car and very pleased with it. I dont see why I should race about to get to breakdowns my firm send me too.

We had to watch a dvd at a course. Hmmm

emily's driver
28-01-2008, 09:30 PM
I have to be tested every six months for my job to ensure that I meet the minimum required standard and level of competency. I am glad there are schemes such as these to give people a chance to assess their driving abilities. I personally would like to see a nationwide scheme introduced that afforded the same opportunity to all drivers, so that their own driving abilities and standards could be re-appraised every say five years. Not so much of a re-test (though I would have no objection to that) but a chance to hopefully correct any bad habits that may have crept in over the years, as well as being able to stand back for a moment and take a look at your self through the independant eyes of an examiner rather than your own. Maybe if the government invested more money in re-training existing drivers and re-educating them through regular mandatory assessments, then they would not have to invest so much time and money on reducing the accident rate, a lot of which is caused by driver inexperience, and more worringly incorrect self appraisal of one's own standards and abilities. Just my halfpenny's worth

JerryXt
29-01-2008, 12:12 PM
I was told at my bike test that the licence was yours unless you proved that you weren't capable of riding properly.

In my view, that's ok if you have a system of follow-up courses that are designed to educate the bad habits out. After all, in my industry, things move so fast that I'm constantly learning something new. I set myself regular goals and ensure that I learn something new in each contract I take on. Why is driving or riding any different?

Nonnie
29-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Because it's difficult when you think you're doing something properly but you're not, you could be better. How do you know that you're doing something properly and haven't just got in to a habit. It might not be a dangerous habit at all but one that isn't neccessarily accurate and you could be better.