PDA

View Full Version : Help...Chain Links...How Many on a 620ie?

emily's driver
27-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Can anyone help. I recently bought a Renthal kit specifically for the Monster 620ie, which came with a standard size and teeth steel front sprocket and an alloy rear sprocket, which I believe to be the same number of teeth as the old steel item. Because I do not have a chain rivetting tool, when I picked up the kit, I asked them to join the chain for me (new Tsubaki item) which came with the kit. It says it has 102 links which I checked.

Trouble is, even with the wheel as far forward as it will go, there is absolutely NO WAY it is going to go over both sprockets. It looks rather as if it could do with being one link longer. Does anyone have any definitive views on this or can offer some advice. The chain incidentally can be easily mounted once joined by wrapping it over the rear sprocket, feeding it around the swing arm then wrapping it around the front sprocket, then finally pushing the front sprocket over the splines. This worked for me before, so I know it must be something wrong with the chain length. Please help!!

Albie
27-01-2008, 05:40 PM
I would only think you made an error in length. Looks like you will have to have one added old fruit. I will have this problem as the chain on s4r needs to be riveted in the swingarm.

CK & AK
27-01-2008, 06:05 PM
News?

Yes you need a 104 link, as I did exactly the same when we got the 620 in 2005. I put a link in tho

Alan

Nonnie
27-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Eeeeeh that's grand. I shall tell the intrepid motorcycle putter backerer togetherer when he gets home from work.

emily's driver
28-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Hopefully have resolved this problem now. Thanks CK & AK for the heads up. I already guessed it was probably a link too short. I took the chain back to the dealer this morning. As it came as part of a Renthal kit I am surprised that it did not come with 104 links but I checked with them again and it says 102 in the Renthal catalogue. I am hoping they will either be able to order me another 104 link gold chain or somehow splice in an additional link. Not very keen on the idea of having two lots of rivetted links as that is twice the weak points but providing they assure me it is safe and I visually inspect it before I put it on the bike I am sure it will be OK. I am more paranoid than normal working on the Monster than my own bike. Checking and rechecking vital components and torque settings as I go, since it is Nonnie's bike not mine and I need to be extra sure every last detail is correct as she will be the one riding it. More info will be posted up on the relevant thread "Project Juan..." soon.

Albie
28-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Glad you got it sorted out. Any advice what I should do when I get my swingarm painted. I have no tools for splicing and mine has to go through the swingarm permanent. Do I take the swingarm to them. Or buy the tool and DIY.:worried:

emily's driver
29-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Glad you got it sorted out. Any advice what I should do when I get my swingarm painted. I have no tools for splicing and mine has to go through the swingarm permanent. Do I take the swingarm to them. Or buy the tool and DIY.:worried:

I would have thought the easiest thing is to take the powder coated arm to the garage and feed the chain through yourself (wrapped in a cloth where it touches the arm, and have them rivet in the last link plate for you. Once you reinstall the arm you can then feed the chain onto the sprockets and remove the cloth. If all is well and good you should not sustain any damage to the painted surface. You could rivet it yourself but unless you envisage taking chains on and off frequently, then I would have it done for you. I had mine done for nothing. Chain was too short but that's another matter.