PDA

View Full Version : Tax dodgers

Stafford
22-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Come on then and be honest.
Did you tax your bike?
Or did you not tax/SORN your bike and then ride it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7200066.stm

mad_turnips
22-01-2008, 07:50 AM
im even worse no MOT either

k so not so bad as its a jersey reg bike thats only over here for 3 months at a time ...*cough* so doesnt need either

Kato
22-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Tax my bikes if I need to but can never be bothered to SORN them....and I applaud anyone that gets away with putting one over on the authorities sorry I mean Thieving Gy*&^% Bas%$£&S

banditloon
22-01-2008, 07:57 AM
My old Blandit has been SORN'd since 2006 and all the other vehicles in my fleet are taxed and MOT (at the moment!).

I'm a good boy me :D

MilesB
22-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Always Taxed, but then ridden ALL year.

SazzaG
22-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Always taxed for us.

Do those stats include mopeds? I bet they do - I can't imagine that most of the scooter riding chavs have insurance, MOT and tax......

mad_turnips
22-01-2008, 08:56 AM
what is SORN?

gremlin
22-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Scuse me for having a blonde moment, but if a vehicles is unregistered, untaxed and uninsured and not used on the road how will they know which garage to look in? And why is that car more lethal than any other?

Black Ferret
22-01-2008, 09:42 AM
what is SORN?

Statutory Off Road Notification - a declaration to the DVLA that you own the vehicle but are not going to apply for/re-new the road fund licence and that you promise (like a good citizen :rolleyes: ) not to use the vehicle on public roads.

I used to be a rebel, but now I've become a conformist and pay on-line for two reasons:

1) Automation (computerisation) of tax and MOT information, the proliferation of image recognition systems (cameras that can read your number plate), and the marrage of these technologies.

2) Peace of mind re insurance. I wouldn't want to give the insurance grabbers the slightest excuse in the case that I had to make a claim.

Black Ferret
22-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Scuse me for having a blonde moment, but if a vehicles is unregistered, untaxed and uninsured and not used on the road how will they know which garage to look in?

They won't know if it's unregistered. But if it is registered :eek:
Don't think insurance is an issue. The authorities don't have access to insurance databases...at the moment.

And why is that car more lethal than any other?

Don't think it's anything to do with threat or public endangerment, probably more fiscal.

SazzaG
22-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Don't think insurance is an issue. The authorities don't have access to insurance databases...at the moment.

I thought they did? I'm sure they checked mine when I had my crash, and there was a police type program on the other day, where they were impounding cars without insurance.

You can't hide!

MilesB
22-01-2008, 09:59 AM
I bet they do - I can't imagine that most of the scooter riding chavs have insurance, MOT and tax......
You callin' me an' Mand Chavs ? :twak:

Black Ferret
22-01-2008, 10:09 AM
I thought they did? I'm sure they checked mine when I had my crash, and there was a police type program on the other day, where they were impounding cars without insurance.

You can't hide!

:eyepopping: Oh sh!t :eyepopping:

neilbaldry
22-01-2008, 10:18 AM
its funny, how all the taxes keep going up, but the return for our expenditure is getting worse and worse............

Nonnie
22-01-2008, 10:19 AM
All you need to do is be checked on the database by a passing or following police car. They know all there is to know about your bike at the push of a button.

Gilps
22-01-2008, 10:23 AM

They must have some kind of access to a centralised database. When your tax renewal comes through and you do it online, they check then to see if you are insured so there must be a central database for that to work.

Capo
22-01-2008, 11:04 AM
They must have some kind of access to a centralised database. When your tax renewal comes through and you do it online, they check then to see if you are insured so there must be a central database for that to work.

And its very fast. THose vans you pass, read your plate, check the data bases and notify the stopper who is just a couple of hundred yards down the road.

I notice Siman has yet to post :chuckle:

Capo
22-01-2008, 11:09 AM
its funny, how all the taxes keep going up, but the return for our expenditure is getting worse and worse............

Return!! :shocked: you expect a Return. The only return you'll ever get is when they come back for more.

Nickj
22-01-2008, 11:42 AM
They probably know more about you than you'd like them too as well!!

SEAGUL
22-01-2008, 11:46 AM
that seems quite a high percentage of people, is it possible that this is in part a ploy giving excuse for plod stopping/pulling over/hassling bikers?

sadbiker
22-01-2008, 11:54 AM
BBC just gave a nice scaremongering verdict, 40 % of Motorbikers are not taxed.

Isn't it simple if it is not sorned then it should either be taxed or crushed.

Only thing I would be concerned with is with current event like they are, wonder of the goverment has managed to loose any records of who is taxed and who isn't. One reseaon to enure you always display your tax.

Didge
22-01-2008, 12:05 PM
40% of bikes untaxed? Typical scaremongering, so as to have an excuse for more petty government spying, and more unnecessary legislation.
Most of those bikes are rotting in sheds, or in bits in boxes, as they probably have been for years.
I've got a SZR660 undercover in my back garden, that has not been taxed (or used) for years. It's never been sorned either.
More Nu-Labour bollox.:grump:

Thumper
22-01-2008, 12:11 PM
The CBR's taxed I just dunno where I put the tax disc, so it aint on the bike.

However the Ducatis tax is sitting on my noticeboard, hmm must claim that back!!

gremlin
22-01-2008, 12:37 PM
The problem is the database isn't updated well enough, as someone said on here they got tugged for no tax and even though the disc was on the screen the "computer says no" so it can't possibly be a tax disc.! There was one of those anti car programmes a few weeks ago and a woman got tugged for no insurance, the car was towed leaving her stranded with kids and cake for birthday party etc. It turned out the car was insured but I think she still had to pay to get her car back. It's just highway robbery. I'm waiting to see what happens with the Gremlin, I taxed her and a week later got a SORN thing through for her so it will be interesting to see if she's on the database as taxed or not.

Mand
22-01-2008, 12:54 PM
You callin' me an' Mand Chavs ? :twak:

Yeah, do you want a fight?!?! :chuckle:

By the way, my scoot is taxed, insured and MOT'd - check me out!!!

SazzaG
22-01-2008, 01:04 PM
There was one of those anti car programmes a few weeks ago and a woman got tugged for no insurance, the car was towed leaving her stranded with kids and cake for birthday party etc. It turned out the car was insured but I think she still had to pay to get her car back.

I remember that. The hilarious bit was when a passing "good samaritan" offered to give her a lift, and was pulled over down the street for not being insured herself!

SazzaG
22-01-2008, 01:05 PM
By the way, my scoot is taxed, insured and MOT'd - check me out!!!

I trust you Mand!

As for the chav bit - are all scooter riders chavs? Who knows. Doesn't Didge ride a scooter as well?

MilesB
22-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I trust you Mand!

As for the chav bit - are all scooter riders chavs? Who knows. Doesn't Didge ride a scooter as well?
I'd hope you'd trust me too?

I think Didge has got a "Po-Ped" :didge:
Not sure if that makes him a Chav or not :look:

Didge
22-01-2008, 03:36 PM
I'd hope you'd trust me too?

I think Didge has got a "Po-Ped" :didge:
Not sure if that makes him a Chav or not :look:

No chav would be seen dead on a Maxi-scooter, so my Burgy has no chav connections.:)

crust
22-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Tis bollox

makes no account for bikes that were off the road before sorn came in

two of my five are not taxed or sorned because they weren't on the road when sorn came in so didn't have to be sorned

what about bikes in collections or museums or track bikes?

typical half arsed, ill thought out government spiel

:grump: crust

Blah blah
22-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Why wouldn't you tax your bike for a year (unless it's in a billion bits)??? It's about £60 a year, or £5 a month, which is a damn sight cheaper than getting a tug from the old bill... seems very strange IMO that you'd go out and spend faarsands n faarsands on a monster with all the kit, then not pay it..

Nickj
22-01-2008, 08:17 PM
BBC just gave a nice scaremongering verdict, 40 % of Motorbikers are not taxed
Didn't hear it myself but was told in the same report they went to a supermarket and found all the bikes there were taxed. Bet they were disappointed!!
The commons public accounts committee is sayng told "Motorcyclists are particularly liable to evade road tax. Nearly 40% of motorcycles are now unlicensed." and of course if you evade tax you are probably "often trying to avoid congestion charges and conceal criminal activity" .. Hey guys no congestion charges for 100+ miles from here!!
LOL Gotta laugh but the report these ummmm sooo smart representatives of ours included "It was also physically difficult for the police to detain motorcyclists as they can easily turn round and drive off." Damn I never thought of that one :grump:

Apparently the number plate systems haven't been too clever at bike plate recognition but a new one is out and they "are being used in targeted enforcement operations at motorcycle events". So a blitz on plates will be in order later in the year I guess.

"And, from September, new legislation will allow the police, DVLA and local authorities to take action against unlicensed vehicles even if they are not parked on public roads." Good, perhaps they can look at the local plods youth initiative whose van went round for over about 6 months without tax

Albie
22-01-2008, 08:24 PM
My 748 is no mot and no tax and sorn. My s4 has tax and mot but is in bits.

gary tompkins
22-01-2008, 08:36 PM
All you need to do is be checked on the database by a passing or following police car. They know all there is to know about your bike at the push of a button.

Yep... Tax, insurance & MOT which are on readily accessable databases now.

They'll also know if the registered owner (possibly rider) has a valid licence, police record or any outstanding warrents :on:

Why wouldn't you tax your bike for a year (unless it's in a billion bits)??? It's about £60 a year, or £5 a month, which is a damn sight cheaper than getting a tug from the old bill... seems very strange IMO that you'd go out and spend faarsands n faarsands on a monster with all the kit, then not pay it..

The solo monster's been SORN'd for the best part of a year. Why?... because I'm not wasting my cash taxing a vehicle that's not being used :fou:

Capo
22-01-2008, 09:03 PM
"And, from September, new legislation will allow the police, DVLA and local authorities to take action against unlicensed vehicles even if they are not parked on public roads."

How long before they start coming round to confiscate your bike 'cause if you aint using it, you don't need it' I **** you not.

Nickj
22-01-2008, 09:23 PM
That was what I was thinking too Capo....

Oh the poll results pretty much mirror the untaxed car figures that DVLA produce, 40% is BS. But a good excuse to hassle us more for sure.

gremlin
22-01-2008, 10:27 PM
There was a rumour when they brought in the historic vehicle tax exemption thing, that the cars would then be only allowed on the road to go to events, rallies etc. I was panicking at the time cos my TF rep was my only mode of transport. It was part of the drive to get old cars off the road, unfortunately they made no distinction between an old banger and a cherished classic. They wanted to pay £500 to get the car off the road whatever. At the time our mate had an immaculate spitfire that was in better condition than when it left the showroom. It won 13 concours comps and in theory according to the numpties was only worth £500. It's actual value was nearer £20k. It seemed pretty stupid considering most classics are mainly kept on the road with recycled bits.

banditloon
22-01-2008, 11:18 PM
There was a rumour when they brought in the historic vehicle tax exemption thing, that the cars would then be only allowed on the road to go to events, rallies etc. I was panicking at the time cos my TF rep was my only mode of transport. It was part of the drive to get old cars off the road, unfortunately they made no distinction between an old banger and a cherished classic. They wanted to pay £500 to get the car off the road whatever. At the time our mate had an immaculate spitfire that was in better condition than when it left the showroom. It won 13 concours comps and in theory according to the numpties was only worth £500. It's actual value was nearer £20k. It seemed pretty stupid considering most classics are mainly kept on the road with recycled bits.

:thumbsup:

Most classics are kept on the road with recycled parts. Owners clubs are great :thumbsup: DVLA is not great!

Bodybag
23-01-2008, 09:44 AM
You can't get away with no tax or SORN anymore. I know cos the cnuts have fined me for not being quick enough to SORN the 749S after she came off the road for winter!! £80!!! They're not getting it until it goes to court and even then, I'll argue the toss. Government w4nker5! I'm sick to fekkin death of my life being controlled by fekkin computers.

Agghhhhh Why am I in such a bad mood this week?!?!?!?!

:grump: :grump: :grump: :grump: :grump:

gremlin
23-01-2008, 10:12 AM
You can't get away with no tax or SORN anymore. I know cos the cnuts have fined me for not being quick enough to SORN the 749S after she came off the road for winter!! £80!!! They're not getting it until it goes to court and even then, I'll argue the toss. Government w4nker5! I'm sick to fekkin death of my life being controlled by fekkin computers.

Agghhhhh Why am I in such a bad mood this week?!?!?!?!

:grump: :grump: :grump: :grump: :grump:

Jazz (TF) was off the road before the SORN thing came in, and as she's exempt I'm not dodging tax so I don't know where I stand on that.

The mood may be due to the weather, post christmas blues and it's a full moon! Howooooo:mand:

Melnie Mouse
23-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Cos they want to 'bad' all us bikers, and make the image of us even worse, they haven't even taken in consideration all the 'sorned' vehicles, they're just comparing the bikes to the registered ones, and like someone said, if they went to a bike meeting place, probably 95% of them ARE taxed, most bikers are okay if they're ridingon the road to tax it, as someone else said it's cheap enough, so not worth the fine.

They've just got in for us, and listening to the radio report yesterday cannot believe how my always been nice opinion for biker Steve Berry just gone out the window, arguing with radio dj, but none of them mentioned that they shouldn't count the sorn ones. and he went on to say classic bikes and putting cost on to fuel, well, classic bikes previous to 1972 are free tax anyway aren't they? I couldn't believe what i was hearing! him talking nonsense!

gremlin
23-01-2008, 04:20 PM
They do seem to be stuck in the fifties and sixties with the mods and rockers and Marlon Brando! At our biker pub there are very few with no tax, certainly not the 40% that has been mooted, and 9 times out of 10 it's because they've been away or have just got the bike back on the road and couldn't wait to ride it or they've not twigged it's due cos they've lost the reminder. It's no excuse I know, but they aren't deliberate tax dodgers, just as some people on here have been numpties on the odd occasion. Unfortunately until somebody gets it out of their heads we are not all hell raising hooligans we don't stand a chance. Surely there must be some law against the victimisation of bikers? Every other Tom, **** and Ari is protected.

Didge
23-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Don't talk to me about bloody SORN or DVLA.:grump:
Why should any citizen of this country, have to inform the authorities, that he/she is NOT breaking the law?
Why should it be any government depts. business, if MY private property is held on MY own private property?
SORN was introduced, under the pretence of addressing 'tax dodging' issues, but what's actually happening, is that many honest and innocent people are now receiving fines due to gross inadequacies of the DVLA, while 'tax dodgers' just carry on regardless.
Anyone who makes the effort to discuss any issues concerning their (the DVLAs) mistakes and fu*k-ups, are only confronted by an ever-changing wall of faceless and indifferent bureaucracy. It seems there is no one at DVLA capable of independent rational thought; there is only the official line.
Bunch of C***S!:mad:

Capo
23-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Don't talk to me about bloody SORN or DVLA.:grump:
SORN was introduced, under the pretence of addressing 'tax dodging' issues:

All laws that restrict our liberty are introduced under a pretext.
We are sleepwalking into servitude to the state.

Governtment Of The People
By The People
For The People.
(Abraham Lincoln)

gremlin
23-01-2008, 07:49 PM
At least with all the breaches of data control has delayed the ID cards. How the hell they think they can keep everyones personal details secure is beyond belief, when you hear DVLA et al are willing to sell personal details to all and sundry for a nominal fee, and no department can transfer details from one place to another without losing it. I certainly don't want my medical details in a free for all or any other details for that matter. There are so many cases of peoples details being mixed up, car and bike details wrongly filed.
There was a case a while back of a lass being harrassed for a speeding ticket and she argued for months that it wasn't her as the reg was wrong and it was a totally different bike to hers in the picture but nobody would listen. I think it may have finally got thrown out when she paid for a lawyer to fight it. She sold the bike in case the guy got more tickets. What can you do when you're fighting that sort of mentality. The thing is there are so many cloned plates out there or pillocks who don't read the photos right and it is really hard to prove your innocence. And of course there is the old chestnut of the speeding thing going against the law of the land where you are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty

jerry
24-01-2008, 03:26 AM
BBC said that there a 300,000 + EuU imigrants cars on the roads with no UK tax or insurance , thats a bigger problem

Kiwi
24-01-2008, 06:39 AM
Anyone who makes the effort to discuss any issues concerning their (the DVLAs) mistakes and fu*k-ups, are only confronted by an ever-changing wall of faceless and indifferent bureaucracy. It seems there is no one at DVLA capable of independent rational thought; there is only the official line.
Bunch of C***S!:mad:

I imported a bike a few years ago and went through all the hassle of getting it registered in the uk

DVLA F**ked up the paperwork and transposed some of the chassis numbers and gave it a new ficticious chassis number

Completely incompetent, it took about 2 years and about a dozen letters armed with copies of all the relevant paperwork before they managed to sort it out and amend their c@ck up

My wife works for the DSA, their standard practice is to photocopy everything they send to DVLA because DVLA lose so much paperwork

Didge
24-01-2008, 03:59 PM
I imported a bike a few years ago and went through all the hassle of getting it registered in the uk

DVLA F**ked up the paperwork and transposed some of the chassis numbers and gave it a new ficticious chassis number

Completely incompetent, it took about 2 years and about a dozen letters armed with copies of all the relevant paperwork before they managed to sort it out and amend their c@ck up

My wife works for the DSA, their standard practice is to photocopy everything they send to DVLA because DVLA lose so much paperwork

Sounds about right. :mad:

Bodybag
24-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Thats nothing I've just had a letter "Council Tax - Committal to Prison" for non payment of last years council tax. I wouldn't mind but I didn't live there last year!! Tw4ts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grump:

Stafford
24-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Thats nothing I've just had a letter "Council Tax - Committal to Prison" for non payment of last years council tax. I wouldn't mind but I didn't live there last year!! Tw4ts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grump:

Don't you just love those bureaucrats :dunce:

gremlin
24-01-2008, 08:16 PM
That's why I went to our local DVLA to get my new licence sorted, there was no way that I was going to let them have my passport. It would have either disappeared in the post or DVLA would have lost it. They really don't know what the heck they are doing, but that seems to be par for the course for any government department. I'm sure it didn't used to be quite this bad did it? There are so many quangos doing gawd know what and we pay for their incompetence. Any company as useless as this government would have been out of business within weeks.

Capo
24-01-2008, 08:37 PM

You cannot be imprisoned for debt. Unless of course the debt is owed to the state.

jerry
25-01-2008, 10:08 AM
In 2008 UK you are guilty even if innocent.

Only politicians ,police , officials and real criminals are innocent all normal people are guilty of being alive .