PDA

View Full Version : Got me a 14T front sprocket

nambduke
21-01-2008, 11:38 AM
So,

Finally got me a 14T front sprocket.....plan to fit this weekend.....

What can I expect?? Lighter front wheel....smoother running.....even bigger smiles??

Mark 'Toothless' Nambduke

sadbiker
21-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Smoother riding and gear changes....

S4Mal
21-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Ive had a 14t for about 15000m and to be honest the acceleration isnt that different, theres a lot less clutch slipping around town though and it improves the bike. I doubt if you will want to go back.

Black Ferret
21-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Expect to buy a steering damper

sadbiker
21-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Expect to buy a steering damper

Why ? Its a M1000 not a rocket.....................

nambduke
21-01-2008, 01:46 PM

Same motor as yours.....but could always do with a bit more on the acceleration I always think......

Black Ferret
21-01-2008, 02:01 PM

I put a 14 tooth front sprocket and binned the cat on my s4r (desmoquattro). It made a very noticeable difference. :spin:

With the improved acceleration front end gets light and a little twtichy.

russ77
21-01-2008, 02:25 PM
You have to change up sooner as you pull away too, which is confusing to begin with. Bimbling about in second is easier. If the set-up's the same as on a 750, expect to have to remove the clutch slave cylinder in order to remove the front sprocket, revealing lots of crud on the shaft and damaged seal, which will make you worry what other hidden internals are in a similar state.

Coat the splined shaft and sprocket with some grease to prevent immediate corrosion before re-assembling too.

The difference when riding is very subtle, but you'll appreciate it if you ride in town a lot.

bigredduke
21-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I put a 14 tooth front sprocket and binned the cat on my s4r (desmoquattro). It made a very noticeable difference. :spin:

With the improved acceleration front end gets light and a little twtichy.

Not much chance of the front end of Nambduke's bike getting light at the front end unless he's on the pillion!:D

sadbiker
21-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Same motor as yours.....but could always do with a bit more on the acceleration I always think......

I know, Wasn't knocking the bike just saying it won't turn it into mega faster bike.

I suspect the S4R s will notice it more.

This mod does seem to help smooth out the gearing and in theory make it slightly faster on acceleration. You do loose out on top end but who needs that.

I have had other bikes where changing the gearing did make the front wheel lift a lot easier, Something I prefer to keep on terra firma for more control.

nambduke
21-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Not much chance of the front end of Nambduke's bike getting light at the front end unless he's on the pillion!:D

Ha ha! No mirrors in your house then?:rolleyes:

bigredduke
21-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Ha ha! No mirrors in your house then?:rolleyes:

Oh yes! definitely a case of pot & kettle! Hopefully we can gain additional bulk courtesy of F & C's in Whitby this 'Summer'

nambduke
21-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Oh yes! definitely a case of pot & kettle! Hopefully we can gain additional bulk courtesy of F & C's in Whitby this 'Summer'
If that's what I have to do to keep the front end down, well I suppose we'll have to make the ultimate sacrifice......jumbo cod and chips, a dollop of mushy peas, half a loaf of bread and wedges of butter washed down with a bucket of tea!:thumbsup:
Roll on the summer!!
Regards,
Mark 'Silthlike' Nambduke