PDA

View Full Version : Oooooh, my rear end was.....

Headhunter
19-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Yep, my rear end was shafted good and proper today by a lovely taxi driver near Kew Bridge.

Fortunately I was stationery at the time and sat at the back of a queue of traffic then 5-10 secs later I could see the w****r in my mirror and thought yep he's coming towards me a bit quick and then before you know it, wallop. :fiery:

Result: 3 hours looking upwards in Chelsea A&E - nicely crunched termignoni exhaust and number plate. Not sure about the rear wheel and swingarm - looked ok, but I can't imagine a car hitting it at c.20mph is going to do it much good. Anyway is now at Rosso Corse for Ray and Marcus to work their magic. Think it will need a new mirror and clutch lever + anything else I didn't spot at the time.

Thankfully the police were passing and stopped to take details etc and have a witness - think it's gonna be a bit difficult for him to deny responsibility, as I was stationery and can't exactly reverse into him. :freak:

I know this may sound stupid to some, but what I am most worried about is being able to get replacement Termignoni exhausts for my bike (620ie)!

Does anyone know if you can still source them from Ducati direct or elsewhere, as I know spareshack have stopped selling them and they're a nightmare to find on tinternet! I really love my termignoni exhausts and don't want to settle for anything else.

I will also be claiming for a new lid, lost drinking time and the humiliation of sitting on the tube in full leathers!

Will post the war wound pics soon.

adds666
19-01-2008, 04:50 PM
P + H in crawley sell the termis on their own, with filter and all the above wiv ECU so give them a try. They are expensive but u already know that. Should be ok if his insurance is paying.

Pedro
19-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Blimey HH

hope you're ok, the bike can be repaired no doubt.

Ref the Termis, speak to Craig at Rapido, if anyone can get them, he can. 01962 877998

Ped

CK & AK
19-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Hope you mend soon HH - its one of a bikers worst nightmares to see something like that going to happen & knowing you cant do a damned thing about it.

Headhunter
19-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Cheers guys, will drop them a line if Ray has no luck.

Hopefully the bike is ok bar the damage mentioned above. Just hope it didn't affect the frame.

Just pissed off with the inconvenience of it all. Ride my bike everyday, so am gonna feel pretty lost without it.

Anyway could have been a lot worse, so am grateful I am able to type this.

Shandy
19-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Hey mate,

Sucks mate like i said on the text, but on the bright side at least you're ok and didn't break any bones, I take it you checked out ok at A&E??

You might end up with a bent rear wheel to boot, but RC shopuld give it a full check over and find out what needs doing. Replacement Termi's are still avaliable direct from Ducati as i found out after mine had a little fall. As a whack on the back might have bent or twisted the rest of the exhaust downpipes it would be worth trying to get a replacement pair of cans. That way at least you should avoid the trouble i had where they made two different lengths over the years, not too mention you won't have one shinny new one and one dirty old one.......lol

Cheers,

Shandy

GULLY
19-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi Matey
Hope you are ok matey!!
I am sure you can salt out you pipes old boy but trie P and H
very nice people.

Hope to see you soon for a beer!!!!
Gully

So have you booked you room with Didge.;)

Nickj
19-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Is that a scuff I see on your otherwise shiney leathers??
Might that be a small, and new, physiological fear of taxis induced by this awful and traumatic accident that is dwelling on your thoughts and recurring in your waking and sleeping mind??

Hope the bikes soon sorted, and the only injury is to your dignity.

It's scary seeing something come up on you like that. Nearly had the same in last winters snow. Mr white van was looming in the mirrors I guessed it wasn't going to stop as it was sideways at the time. Luckily I was just able to dive into the bushes (it was that or be the filling in a sarnie!) leaving a car to take the hit. If I hadn't had the bike in gear at the time I'd have been got.

Albie
19-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Sorry to hear this again after Bensons nightmare. Glad you seem to be ok. Like everyone says it needs checking all over as stress can find its way to other areas. Things like pivot shaft in swingarm and exhaust crossover. I have learnt a lot this week about pivot shafts :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Have a good rest tonite. Time off work then ???:idea: :idea:

Headhunter
19-01-2008, 06:28 PM
I take it you checked out ok at A&E??

Thankfully all okay - fit as fook nurses as well, which was nice!

So have you booked you room with Didge.;)

God no, but should find out soon mate if I can get away that weekend for a bit of fish hill and monster commaradirie.

Might that be a small, and new, physiological fear of taxis induced by this awful and traumatic accident that is dwelling on your thoughts and recurring in your waking and sleeping mind??

I already have their number on speed dial - Hopefully he'll be my chaffeur for the next couple of weeks. ;)

Have a good rest tonite. Time off work then ???:idea: :idea:

Too right, Albie. Unfortunately the pain killers have stopped me from cracking one open, but hey ho. Hope the swingarm project is going okay.

JerryXt
19-01-2008, 06:36 PM
time off work - lightweight!

Sorry to hear about this mate. At least you're ok. I'd expect any sprains to come out tomorrow or Monday. Get some private physio if you need it and claim it all back. Also all your kit. It's better to be safe and the insurance company won't want to see it before they replace it.

Nonnie
19-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Oh dear. Glad you're OK. Talk to Benson about the damage on her bike. Same type of accident, similar speed. She has a new bike.

I must ask, were you as attention seeking as her and had to be taken off on a spinal board?!

Headhunter
19-01-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm guessing his insurance would cover all of this as well (the clothing aspect) and not just the bike?

Just hope I don't have to get solicitors involved for that bit!

The other thing I noticed while reading Benson's hypermotard thread is the possibility of the frame being damaged.

Now if it's a write off because of a dodgy frame (which I really hope it's not) will I be able to claim for all the mods I've done on my current bike (thankfully they were listed as part of my insurance quote at the beginning of the contract), as I really don't want to have to buy a new bike and then have to pay out of my own pocket for:

Termis
K&N filter
carbon mods
etc etc to be done to the new bike.

Am guessing it would be market value of bike + the cost of purchasing all of listed mods for my original insurance quote, if it were to be written off?

Headhunter
19-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Oh dear. Glad you're OK. Talk to Benson about the damage on her bike. Same type of accident, similar speed. She has a new bike.

I must ask, were you as attention seeking as her and had to be taken off on a spinal board?!

I may drop her a line one evening, if she's free.

I was a bit more macho - 1 hour waiting for recovery guy - then 30mins on tube with footy fans! - then made my way to A&E. Some very interesting looks, Nonnie!

barbican
19-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Sorry to read this - glad you're OK

However the insurance company value your bike and accessories be prepared to argue the case with them - don't accept the first offer and look out for expresions like "allowing for betterment" etc

Headhunter
19-01-2008, 07:16 PM
look out for expresions like "allowing for betterment" etc

Look out for what now? For once I guess it's good to say I work with ex-City lawyers.

Mand
19-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Aww what a bag of sh!te. Like you say the inconvenience is a proper nightmare. I hope you are feeling okay though and get yourself sorted soon.

Mand :)

Darry
19-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Unlucky mate.... hope ur not in too much pain.

If the bloke admits fault or you've got witnesses saying so, then their insurance should just payout. I just got the okay from the insurance company of the Ambulance that rear ended me in November.

Good Luck (Break a leg)

D.

JerryXt
20-01-2008, 09:13 AM
When they've apportioned fault (obviuos here...) you'll be able to claim for everything - recovery, taxi journeys, kit, even that tube ride. Just get receipts where you can, but in my experience, the insurance companies are pretty reasonable.

If you've got aches and bruises, get a physio to sort them and keep the receipt.

Just remember that it costs them £1000 just to turn up at court. When they loose, they have to pay your sides costs too. If they start being arsy, just threaten them with a judge.

Oh, and get a lawyer too. Do you have legal cover on your insurance?

giler
20-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Sorry, to hear about that Jon.
Least your ok.
Did have a chuckle about the picture of you on the tube in full leathers!

gremlin
20-01-2008, 09:41 AM
On the up side people may have thought he was the Stig.

Headhunter
20-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Will definitely be claiming for everything. Will be speaking with ridersupport on Monday, as I know they're brilliant for stuff like this.

Gremlin, I wish! More along the lines of Ronnie Corbett in a leather suit. :mand:

Humbucker
20-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Sorry to hear of this HH. I'm sure Ray and Marcus can get her back to normal, but at least you are ok. If i hear of any termi's i'll let you know

J.P
20-01-2008, 12:19 PM
That's a right bummer. Glad you're ok.
Now you're on the tube, drop me a line & I'll buy you a point one evening.

Albie
20-01-2008, 01:25 PM
A point for you sor is it. Is that a point of that there Guinness :chuckle:
I didnt know you was Oirish old fella :idea: :booze:

Headhunter
20-01-2008, 02:14 PM

Ahhhh, every cloud has gotta a silver lining. JP, Tuesday is good or I'll drop you a line when I'm back the following week. Couple of days RnR near the equator.

Gully, are you still based in Bishopsgate?

crust
20-01-2008, 03:16 PM
ouch!!!

good luck wth the sorting all out

no broken bones, poor effort ;)

:) Crust

Thumper
20-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Glad you're OK, I know how ya feel after Pinkys rear end was assaulted by a taxi. Its horrible having just a split second to think "ouch" before your hit.

Now do make sure you list every single thing thats damaged! Hope you get the bike sorted soon and you can get hold of all the parts you need :)

GULLY
20-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Ahhhh, every cloud has gotta a silver lining. JP, Tuesday is good or I'll drop you a line when I'm back the following week. Couple of days RnR near the equator.

yes matey.
but i am a way from wed to fri so will have to meet up in a week time

hope you get it all salted matey.

Darry
20-01-2008, 06:24 PM

Hey, don't leave me out... let me know when and I'll join you guys.

Darry.

GULLY
20-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Hey, don't leave me out... let me know when and I'll join you guys.

Darry.

Hi Darry
are you buying:drunk:

Headhunter
20-01-2008, 06:52 PM
The more the merrier. :drunk:

Darry
21-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi Darry
are you buying:drunk:

I'll buy a drink for anyone shorter than me! :biggrin:

paul33
21-01-2008, 06:07 PM
hope u ok and get youre bike sorted mate all the best

scrumpster
21-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident, hope you're okay!! I was on the tube Saturday, didn't realise it was you sat there in your leathers (only kidding) but I was on the tube!! I was slumming it in the Selfridge Hotel for the weekend. Be interested to see the outcome as I'm with ebike too. Good luck :thumbsup:

SazzaG
21-01-2008, 09:37 PM
We've got everything insured through ebike/car, and they were OK when my car was written off in October. However, their "24 hour claim line" was a joke. Called them on the Sunday afternoon after the crash, and they just said "call back after 9 on Monday". Not too much of a problem, but it delayed getting the hire car.

The problem with non-fault claims is that it's not really your insurance company that deal with it, it's the legal assistance company (Angel Assistance with ecar). I didn't have any real problems, but it was a bit confusing having to deal with different people for the hire car, damage assessment, recovery (my car was impounded by the police at first), etc. We got the cheque for the car about 6-7 weeks after the accident (and a bit of haggling time), and the policy excess a couple of weeks ago, but we're still waiting for payment on the uninsured losses (car contents, etc). They also never told me to cancel the policy, even after they knew my car was written off.

Unfortunately it's just one of those things where you need to keep badgering everyone. It did seem to me that as the innocent victim, I seemed to be doing a lot more chasing than I reckon the bloke who crashed into me was!

Anyway, glad you're OK Jon. Maybe you'll get a new bike out of this?