PDA

View Full Version : You got an Engineering degree ?

J.P
13-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Because I've just spent 3 hours fitting my Ventura luggage brackets to my bike , making alterations here & there to fit my bike and it still isn't lining up properly when I come to putting in the grab rail, or the racks.
It just isn't sitting at exactly the right angle and I can't do it.

Frustration & numb hands standing in the garden have forced me to give up.
Need new eyes another day or a helpful pair of someone elses to tell me where I'm going wrong.

Help.

Capo
13-01-2008, 02:51 PM
in my experience, nothing fits.

The Kevlar Kid
13-01-2008, 03:19 PM
I always find a bottle of JD and a long lie down helps.

Kiwi
13-01-2008, 03:21 PM
a rat tail files is always useful to elongate the mounting holes to assist lining things up

or a tidier method is to drill all mounting holes slightly over size

rubber faced mallet / crow bar / long handled screw drivers to lever or persuade things into place helps

Albie
13-01-2008, 03:22 PM
You think you got it bad. Just spent the last three hours trying to get the swing arm pivot shaft out. It dont want to play. Moved about 1/4"
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

YoungDucS4R
13-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Try fitting the grab rail into L-brackets with everything in place, but with all the bolts loose.
Tighten bolts after grab rail is in the correct position.
At the best of times its all a very tight fit which can be helped by a good dose of emery cloth and wd-40

Gilps
13-01-2008, 03:48 PM
You think you got it bad. Just spent the last three hours trying to get the swing arm pivot shaft out. It dont want to play. Moved about 1/4"
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

That old chestnut. Apparently Ducati don't put enough grease on at the factory and they are known to be a bit of a sod to shift. Brute force is the answer so I've heard. Just keep smacking it. This was covered on a thread on the DSC a while back so may be worth doing a search on there.

Guzzirider
13-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Try fitting the grab rail into L-brackets with everything in place, but with all the bolts loose.
Tighten bolts after grab rail is in the correct position.

Yep that worked for me too when I fitted the Ventura. I did have to lightly hammer the l/h u shaped bracket with a rubber mallet to get it to sit properly on the frame tube.

Nickj
13-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Channeled aggression :biggrin:

Failing that BIG hammer and gas axe

JerryXt
13-01-2008, 05:26 PM
ah, just put the forks back into the babyR after having radial bottoms and rce valves put in. It all came out easily and went back in easily too! Got some engineering on the clip-ons to do and fit the brake lines, but then it's all good!

JP, just think of all the vino you'll be able to bring back with you necxt time you go to France. Fantastic!

Truely, Ducati - making mechanics out of bike riders.

J.P
13-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Maybe I'll just cut the bugger to shredds and file it's little ends off.
Probably won't work, but it'll make me feel better.

I'm sure there was a point where I heard it laughing at me......

MrsJel
13-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Got a set of instructions here if yours are missing ;)

Carole

Pedro
13-01-2008, 08:44 PM
JP - had a similar prob when fitting mine to the 900. Hole not lining up etc that had to be filed out. As has been said, fit it loose then tighten everything once it's together

gary tompkins
13-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Perhaps the "buy a Goldwing" suggestion at cafe last weekend is starting to make sense? You can get matching trailers for those yah know? :D

MilesB
14-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Er yeah - I've got a degree in Engineering... but as it's for engineering muck & dirt I don't think I'm gonna be able to help :chuckle:

Having said that, my experience of fitting luggage onto (many) bikes is fit it all loosely, then tighten. The last set of Givi rails I fitted (on the Pegaso) went on in 10 minutes - but fitting similar items on Susan's Pegaso took most of a day... + plus access to a serious workshop :eek:

I seem to remember all sorts of fun and games trying to get my Termignoni's to line up when I fitted them!

Miles

Nim
14-01-2008, 08:53 AM
JP....were there instructions that you didnt read? Next time maybe ask your wife to fit them for you :) hehe

J.P
14-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Nim, you're glad I'm reading this today in the light of a new day and the stress has passed.
Otherwise the answer would have been to Fek off!! he,he,he,he