PDA

View Full Version : Electric Guitars question

Albie
06-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I have been given a bit of a chrissy bonus to buy a little something from my late Stepdad. I always wanted an electric guitar and I bought one for Carolines boy for chrissy and dead jealous. I got him a strat type and is very nice but I dont want the same as him so looking at this one for a bit more. Hasnt got the arm thingy for reverb or what you call it but I guess this not important. I dont want to be a rock star but love music and just want to be able to play as I had lessons when I was 10 but stopped when parents split up. I can strum a bit a so the desire is still there. Anyone got a guitar to advise.
Thanks

Andy

Link here to one I think I want
http://www.gear4music.com/Electric_Guitars/G4M_Electric_Guitars/Electric-LP_II_Guitar_by_Gear4music_BKsefv_6.html

manwithredbike
06-01-2008, 06:50 PM
if you go on amazon, you'll get an electric guitar with a small combi amp/speaker for around £100. if you want to strum and play at home, i think an accoustic is a better job. i never quite liked electric guitars being played on their own - except by a pro

Albie
06-01-2008, 06:56 PM
did you see the link

manwithredbike
06-01-2008, 07:02 PM
yes. i just thought a deal with an amp/speaker would be useful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Urban-Hero-Electric-Guitar-Kit/dp/B000VVM5LK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199649600&sr=8-1

Albie
06-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Yes will do that deal with amp and stand and case. Works out about £130 delivered and Aidans strat was very nice quality too.

Didge
06-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Hasnt got the arm thingy for reverb or what you call it but I

It's called a 'Tremelo arm' you bloody ignoramus.
"Arm thingy" indeed.
CAROLINE..........You're a teacher, sort 'im out, or I'll get one of the 'Pole room boys' to do it.

Albie
06-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Lol I dont know mate.:eek: Well there you are your an intellect. Well I ordered the one without the TREMOLO arm with amp and stand and tuner.

Caroline dont know that sort of thing.

Hope Jans doing good mate keep us posted.

Albie
06-01-2008, 08:05 PM
yes. i just thought a deal with an amp/speaker would be useful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Urban-Hero-Electric-Guitar-Kit/dp/B000VVM5LK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199649600&sr=8-1

Thanks for that. Looks to me the same guitars as GFM but I get a 15 w amp instead of 10w and a stand and tuner for £118.

It is now ordered.

manwithredbike
06-01-2008, 09:24 PM
well done - we'll be reading about you in the nme within the year :)
i'm thinking of getting my son one for his birthday. let me know what the quality's like when you get it. thanks

Will
06-01-2008, 10:02 PM
"Arm thingy" indeed.
CAROLINE..........You're a teacher, sort 'im out, or I'll get one of the 'Pole room boys' to do it.

Whammy bar - Tremolo is sooooo 70's :D

Will
06-01-2008, 10:03 PM
And then you'll need a Cry Baby Wah Wah :biggrin:......... and then one can do this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrRZ4Ub9HDY&feature=related :biggrin:

Will
06-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Very slow download but better qualteeeeee

http://www.stage6.com/user/cyberty62/video/1599424/Joe-Satriani---Surfing-With-The-Alien

Humbucker
07-01-2008, 07:33 AM
Albie,

i wouldn't recommend buying a guitar online. There are many good deals to be had in various music shops for beginners. I previously bought my daughter a Strat, with stand, Gig bag, tuner, spare strings, 15w amp, and Guitar Lesson CD-Rom for £150.

No matter your standard, although you have previously played, i always recommend trying before you buy. Ensure that the neck is a confortable size for you and not to thick should you have small hands. The shop would also set up the guitar for you making any neck adjustments and lowering the action for you to make it easier for you to play. If you want anyfurther advise let me know.

Lewis

Didge
07-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Whammy bar - Tremolo is sooooo 70's :D

....................My era.:)

Thumper
07-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Darnit, I sold my Fender Lone Star Strat just before Xmas for £500 to a dealer, was worth a lot more than that but needed the money.

I do still have a very nice Marshall practise amp for sale and a Jim Dunlop cry_baby pedal... and a Zoom GFX box ;)

Either way enjoy the guitar!!

Pedro
07-01-2008, 11:24 AM

Did they have electric guitars in the 1870s?

scrapps
07-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Albie don't do it.......... think of poor old caroline and next door ! ;)

Will
07-01-2008, 12:58 PM

Mine too - but don't tell anyone.:D

Will
07-01-2008, 01:00 PM
"Arm thingy" indeed.

Just to be totalleeeee anal, I'd like to point out that Tremelo is in fact a misnomer; it really ought to be Vibrato cos it changes the pitch, not the amplitude.

gremlin
07-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Tother half has an Ibanez with a little pignose amp thingy and it wasn't too bad at all, noise wise. It does get a bit louder when he puts his other kit on with its effects pedal etc, but I think it then goes through the computer speakers or something I just sit back and enjoy my own private gig. Unfortunately the guitar has a busted neck thanks to his hooligan kids standing on it, and he hasn't got round to repairing it yet which is a shame, it was nice when our friend Vicky came over and they jammed together.

Albie
07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
well Ive just been on you tube and theres some great stuff to view. I have apparently bought a Les Paul copy guitar. Hope it sounds somewhere near as good. Cant wait for the postman tomorrow

gremlin
07-01-2008, 09:18 PM
today a les paul copy..........................tomorrow a mesa boogie amp.
and you thought it would stop with just buying a motorbike ?? :spin: :spin:
Mr G

Albie
07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
yeah right LOL:mand:

gremlin
07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
i could build you a custom, made to fit if youve got a spare 2-3k
Mr G

albs
07-01-2008, 10:47 PM
ive got a nice olympic white american series strat that im thinking of selling but its prabably not what you would want for starting out on.i would advise though to buy avery small amp for playing at home,because even a little 10 watt marshall can prevent people 2 or 3 houses away from hearing each other speak.although in a husbund/wife situation the hubby might call round to thank you!!

Didge
08-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Just to be totalleeeee anal, I'd like to point out that Tremelo is in fact a misnomer; it really ought to be Vibrato cos it changes the pitch, not the amplitude.

I can do better than that. This is not just anal, it is 'trainspottery, anoraky and anal. Complete with vacuum flask, and glasses held together with Elastoplast, so you can't beat this.:)

FROM WIKI:-

Naming argument and controversy
Traditionally, electric guitarists have reversed the normal meanings of the terms vibrato and tremolo when referring to hardware devices and the effects they produce. While the tremolo arm can produce variations of pitch including what is normally termed vibrato, it can never produce the effect normally known as tremolo (modulation of volume). Tremolo, on the other hand, is exactly the effect produced by the vibrato units built in to many classic guitar amplifiers.

This reversal of terminology is generally attributed to Leo Fender and the naming of the Fender 'Vibroverb' amplifier, which actually used tremolo (rapid volume changes) in an attempt to create a vibrato-like (rapid changes in pitch) sound.

Will
08-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I can do better than that. This is not just anal, it is 'trainspottery, anoraky and anal. Complete with vacuum flask, and glasses held together with Elastoplast, so you can't beat this.:)

FROM WIKI:-

Naming argument and controversy
Traditionally, electric guitarists have reversed the normal meanings of the terms vibrato and tremolo when referring to hardware devices and the effects they produce. While the tremolo arm can produce variations of pitch including what is normally termed vibrato, it can never produce the effect normally known as tremolo (modulation of volume). Tremolo, on the other hand, is exactly the effect produced by the vibrato units built in to many classic guitar amplifiers.

This reversal of terminology is generally attributed to Leo Fender and the naming of the Fender 'Vibroverb' amplifier, which actually used tremolo (rapid volume changes) in an attempt to create a vibrato-like (rapid changes in pitch) sound.

Well exactly indeed, who was Leo Fender anyway? :biggrin: - perhaps that's why someone came up with 'whammy - bar'.

Nonnie
08-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Anything you can do
I can do better
I can do anything better than you

No you can't!
Yes I can
No you can't
Yes I can
Yes I can Yes I can Yes I can

I am so sorry I just needed to burst into song there.

As you were

Didge
08-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Anything you can do
I can do better

No you can't!
Yes I can
No you can't
Yes I can

As you were

I'm tops again......sorry:-

Anything you can poo,
I can poo better
I can clear any room better than you

No you can't!
Yes I can :didge:
No you can't
Yes I can :didge:
Yes I can Yes I can Yes I can. :didge: (At which point Nonnie runs from the room gagging).:)

Mand
08-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Anything you can do
I can do better

No you can't!
Yes I can
No you can't
Yes I can

As you were

and what a beautiful singing voice you have my dear. ;)

Nonnie
08-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Thank you Mand, it was an arrangement I did last year for the harpsichord........

Mand
08-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Thank you Mand, it was an arrangement I did last year for the harpsichord........

Oh the harpsicord? Oh yes, I know the instrument well...... both my children play it. :mand:

Nonnie
08-01-2008, 08:55 PM
What? As well as they play the bassoon? How do they fit all this in along with the cross country they do at international level and all that swimming for their county, not to mention the fact they won Junior Masterchef 27 times on the trot beating the previous record by, well, a country mile? My my my they're strong sturdy youngsters alright. I am forever in your awe. You're just amazing and brilliant and great at everything!

Mand
08-01-2008, 08:59 PM
I am forever in your awe. You're just amazing and brilliant and great at everything!

I know! It is the cross I have to bear being so totally ACE at everything especially parenthood. Now will you excuse me, my son is calling me, he needs help with his latin homework.... though between you and I sweetie, I know he is just joshing. xx

Didge
08-01-2008, 09:35 PM
I know he is just joshing. xx

Is that something rude?:confused:

benson
08-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I do believe it is Didge - and I think I know someone who would be very good at it!!!

Meanhwhile I'm not sure how Mand or her children manage their gifts!!! in fact I've heard it said that the whole street (oops - I mean private country estate!) is in fact super-intelligent, gifted, talented and has won the X factor!!! he he he - I do so like a late night josh!!!! (Rogan???)

Benson the dim
xxx

Mand
08-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I do so like a late night josh!!!! (Rogan???)

Benson the dim
xxx

Me too lovey, it helps me sleep sounder. ;)

Albie
08-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Its arrived Didge and has no TREMELO arm just 4 pickup and 3 way rythm and treble switch and 4 pick up volumes. Now just got to learn off the internet. DSC gave me a great You Tube site.

Nonnie
09-01-2008, 06:27 AM
Have fun Albie!

benson
09-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Maybe room for a solo spot at the weekender!!! Albie the axeman!!!

Albie
09-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Erm NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!.:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: How would I get it there. Now if I had the American Chopper Peavey Special then maybe I could but no pillion for Caroline and thats deffo not good.:cry: :cry: