PDA

View Full Version : Bugger, I'm back on the fags

Nonnie
04-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Well, I lasted a whole 3 days.

I tried last year and lasted 3 months. What's wrong with me? Is there an easy way to do this? Am I so weak I can't even go a week?

Don't tell me the old lung cancer stories, I KNOW this, also don't tell me how much they cost, I KNOW this too, that's why I'm trying to give up.

Give me a foolproof, easy way!

LouSCannon
04-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Get ill, that's how I did it!

Couple of years ago got a REALLY bad infection of the larynx, couldn't speak for a week, couldn't sleep because of the pain everytime I swallowed... couldn't smoke for about three weeks... aafter that just kinda got out of the habit.

Nonnie
04-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Mmmmmmm how can I go about getting a really bad infection of the larynx?!

bigredduke
04-01-2008, 09:11 AM

I tried last year and lasted 3 months. What's wrong with me? Is there an easy way to do this? Am I so weak I can't even go a week?

Don't tell me the old lung cancer stories, I KNOW this, also don't tell me how much they cost, I KNOW this too, that's why I'm trying to give up.

Happy new year Non!
Has the irony of your last 2 posts escaped you? (I doubt it). On the one hand you explain why you wear protective gear on the bike & would not ride without it for personal health reasons. Then in the same (shortness of) breath state you're back on the fags! Wierd!:fou:

I think this is the nub of the problem: we all know the fags is bad man! but they kill you gradual like & you often don't see the effects until a long time in the future. If however, you fall off your bike unprotected the effects are immediate.
As for a 'cure', I stopped smoking when I was 21. but you really really have to genuinely want to do it. it also helped that I bought an expensive (at the time in relation to my crappy earnings) bike on HP & couldn't afford to smoke as well! I also started training & hung around with fit people who didn't smoke. Worked for me, I haven't smoked for 38 years!:yoparty:
Best of luck

JerryXt
04-01-2008, 09:15 AM
electro-shock therapy sounds like fun! Or take up running or some sort of serious exercise where you notice the difference if you've had a puff.

I used to smoke big fat cigars occasionally until I realised I felt like a dig the next day. Worse than a hangover.

Nonnie
04-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Happy new year Non!
Has the irony of your last 2 posts escaped you? (I doubt it). On the one hand you explain why you wear protective gear on the bike & would not ride without it for personal health reasons. Then in the same (shortness of) breath state you're back on the fags! Wierd!:fou:

I think this is the nub of the problem: we all know the fags is bad man! but they kill you gradual like & you often don't see the effects until a long time in the future. If however, you fall off your bike unprotected the effects are immediate.
As for a 'cure', I stopped smoking when I was 21. but you really really have to genuinely want to do it. it also helped that I bought an expensive (at the time in relation to my crappy earnings) bike on HP & couldn't afford to smoke as well! I also started training & hung around with fit people who didn't smoke. Worked for me, I haven't smoked for 38 years!:yoparty:
Best of luck

Aye Happy New Year there too.

No the irony hadn't escaped me but you hit the nail on the head. Because the effects aren't immediate it enables me to continue doesn't it?

I don't think I've got any willpower.

Why didn't Santa bring me any?

Is it time for me to grow up and take responsibility?

Oh No!!!

CK & AK
04-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Nonnie - if you find some will power, then drop me some in the post too burd :(

Longest I've stopped since *# years is for 5 weeks when I used patches, which I then started removing to have a ciggy .. :(

AK stopped with the roll-ups in Oct 2005, as he had a very bad bout of bronchitis, and being an asthmatic too, this just about killed him - he hasnt touched it since, but used patches for the first 6 weeks (but blimey - he was HELL to live with for about 3 months or so :mad: )

C, enjoying her ciggys, but cutting down just a bit........

Nonnie
04-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks Charlotte, I just had to ring Rod to fess up. He gave up with me so I daresay I've probably put him back on them too now. If he started again, I'd use it as an excuse.

I had got tetchy that's for sure. How pathetic, I realise that. I wish I could just not think about it. Now I'm going to smell.

Bloody willpower. Where do I get it from?

Nonnie (down in the dumps now)

Diego
04-01-2008, 09:59 AM
I quit smoking just after the UK ban. Over a period of a year gradually brought it down first.

No patches for me. Took up whitecollar boxing in the city and never looked back. I would not dream of lighting up now!!!

Feel sorry for people standing outside now...freezing their b-hinds off on their ciggie break.

Mand
04-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Feel sorry for people standing outside now...freezing their b-hinds off on their ciggie break.

I think the official term for these folk are "Snoutcasts". :)

Hey Nonnie, I used to smoke when I was a teenager and then I gave up when I got married back in the olden days. Unfortunately, I started again when I got divorced and used to smoke outside in the back garden. My then 9 year old daughter told me I would die of lung cancer if I didn't give up. So I did and I have never smoked since. Made me feel a bit ashamed of myself when I was preaching to her about being a good girl at school etc. :chuckle:

You are a beautiful lady and smoking is a killer on your skin, gums and teeth.

Stay strong and have another go at packing it in.

Mand xx

giler
04-01-2008, 10:19 AM
I am old enough and wise enough (and some would say ugly enough!) to
know how bad it is for me. But, it is also very hard to give up.
3 years ago the wife and I went 7 months then started again like muppets.

Now I take the viewpoint that in my mid 40's, married with two kids - i'll
take whatever pleasures I can get!

Mand
04-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Now I take the viewpoint that in my mid 40's, married with two kids - i'll
take whatever pleasures I can get!

I agree with you, we all have our vices and by god mine is chocolate! I think my view is, if you really want to give up, you will. I can honestly say, I can never imagine smoking again.

:)

gremlin
04-01-2008, 10:29 AM
My ex hubby and I agreed to quit before we got married in 1983, I was a twenty Marlboro or Camel a day person, I gave up with no hassle, I nearly left him on honeymoon because he was such a bastid! I bought him a pipe to get us through the two weeks, needless to say he never did quit and the marriage didn't last either.
It helps to have an incentive I guess, perhaps if you put the money you would have spent on fags into a jar labelled Bike Bling it would help, then you could see new levers, paint job, etc building into a fantastic new bike.
I haven't smoked for 25 years apart from one two years ago on New Years eve when very drunk. Clive smokes roll ups and I hate the smell although they are better than made ones. He keeps saying he'll give up but I'm not going to nag.
Perhaps try the odd cigar instead they taste pretty yuk and may help to put you off!

JerryXt
04-01-2008, 10:34 AM
As added incentive, there's an increased chance of childhood leukemia in the children of mothers who smoke. Don't know if you ever want children, but if you do...

Nonnie
04-01-2008, 10:34 AM
You are a beautiful lady and smoking is a killer on your skin, gums and teeth.

Mand xx

Oh Mand, you're more beautiful than I!

I just smell again now.

Nonnie
04-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Don't know if you ever want children, but if you do...

Are you asking???!!!

I already got. But thanks anyway!

Mand
04-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Oh Mand, you're more beautiful than I!

I just smell again now.

Impossible, we are equally beautiful, something about sharing the same birthday, a Libra thing maybe?

As for smelling.... just go for smelling like red wine instead? :chuckle:

Plum
04-01-2008, 11:06 AM
You could always glue your lips together then you couldnt get a fag in your gob. Plus there is an upsaide fo the hubby in that you cant nag him.....on the other hand, he may not be happy about missing out on something else!!

I am one of those people you love to hate. I have no problems with fags. I have them, then i dont. I quit when i was 19, didnt have another till a couple of years ago (34 now), but i can do that as it never makes me wanna start full time again.

Odd

If it helps Non. The old man had to pack up and he had been a smoker 50 odd years, and was a tradesman so you can imagine how many he smoked a day. He has been quit 6 months now and although he does miss smoking as he did enjoy it, he does feel better. I dont know if they run a similar thing your side of the pond, but he had like an AA meeting everyweek. He went to pick up his paches and they test to see he hasnt smoked. It worked for him

benson
04-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Hey hon - its a hard and horrid thing to do but it can be done. Patches and nicotine gum to ease the physical cravings and then make sure you have something to do with your hands for the lack of something between fingers!!!

I quit 7 years ago, When I started to play the sax more seriously and go running I just couldn't breathe in the same way as a smoker so the choice was made for me - it took a week of going cold turkey and shouting at pretty much everything with a pulse (useful as a Head teacher back then) but I've never really looked back and if I do now have the occasional drag then that's all it is because I generally really feel like **** afterwards!!!

I think the idea of saving the money for a squadrez crumblez weekend is the best idea!!!

Nonnie
04-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks Chick.

Woddy is going to be very disappointed in me.

I bought a pack of 10 so should be done by tomorrow although have a party tonight. Maybe I should make myself sick of them tonight and smoke the lot and try again tomorrow.

benson
04-01-2008, 11:24 AM
I think so - start chain smoking immediately and then quit - I will come and monitor your progress and we can get very very drunk.....

LouSCannon
04-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Mmmmmmm how can I go about getting a really bad infection of the larynx?!

I managed it whilst smoking with a cold, then going out on the lash, followed by running round a very wet muddy field in the middle of a very cold January shooting people with pretend guns....

That did the trick.

JerryXt
04-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Are you asking???!!!

Steady on Nonnie! If Mrs Xt heard, she'd ban me from this site! :chuckle:

Nonnie
04-01-2008, 11:46 AM
It just seemed an appropriate comment to make at that given time. Mr Nonnie would just laugh at my insane behaviour and go off to the garage and fix something.

Nonnie
04-01-2008, 11:46 AM
I think so - start chain smoking immediately and then quit - I will come and monitor your progress and we can get very very drunk.....

Because OBVIOUSLY that helps.

xx

CK & AK
04-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Nonnie - have you read the Allan Carr book?

2 of my 3 bothers did in the same month 7 years ago, and neither has touched a ciggy since! (both on over 20 a day)
Sadly to say, I've read the book several times.....

My idea of the day (worked for a mate)If you REALLY want to stop, then look at those fags left in the packet, go & put them on the tank of your bike (ok, it might still be on the workbench or similar) and walk away.
Find the fag butts from earlier & put them into a pot that a lid can be opened & closed on. Hell - find someones ashtray & tip the contents in too!
Each time you want a fag, go & pour yourself a 1/3 pint of water, drink it & go & brush your teeth after.
If you do still want a fag, then go & open that pot, deeply inhale - no, not once but at least 3 times! :eek: (Sooze threw up the 2nd time she did this!)
Sooze kept to this for over a week (water/teeth/sniff) and then dropped the water/teeth bt - but kept that smelly old tin for over 6 months!!
She's been 'clean' for just over a year now, from well in excess of 20 a day.

C, really thinking she ought to stop too :( - but not wanting to be MADE to stop...... :(

Nonnie
04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
My friend is going to send me the book when she has finished with it strangely enough!

I am liking the drink/teeth/inhale thing but worry I won't be disciplined enough but there is no point in giving up before I try so it's worth a start at least.

I will have to finish the packet first as there is no way I can leave them alone otherwise.

benson
04-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Actually I think it would help - drinking to forget and all that...

barbican
04-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Anyone tried hypnosis? Been thinking about it but not spoken to anyone who has actualy done it

dlloyduk
04-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Anyone tried hypnosis? Been thinking about it but not spoken to anyone who has actualy done it

Yep traveled 60 miles to a highly reccomended Hypnotist and I did stop-while I was in the chair! All the talk had me gasping for a fag meaning I stopped for the exactly the amount of time it took to put my "Last" one out, walk into the building, go through the therapy and then get to the nearest Newsagent!
Waste of time and money.
I think the simple answer is there is no simple answer!

If you really wanted to give up you could, I think you are like most of us smokers-deep down you don't want to?

I have read about a drug called Champix or something that is supposed to be good, I fancy giving it a try but reckon my doctor will tell me its to expensive for them to prescribe....despite the fact that I have never met him in the last 15 or so years!:banghead:

Nonnie
04-01-2008, 04:39 PM
My parents did hypnosis. (Anyone see a history of smoking in my family?) It worked for my Mum for 3 months but my Dad just came out and lit up.

As for champix, my brother in law did it and quit. I've heard conflicting reports on it though as to quite bad side effects.

I was using the Nicorette inhalator thing and obviously it didn't work for me. Not yet anyway.

slob
04-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Stop making feeble excuses and JUST STOP!
I went cold turkey back in December 2001...
I was a miserable grumpy bugger for 9 months as a result,
some say I still am,
I say "stuff 'em I bought a Ducati in July 03 with all the money I'd saved!"

ps. Every time you find it hard, think of the example you're setting the kids.

gremlin
04-01-2008, 06:17 PM
There has to be an incentive, it's no good trying without. Perhaps one of those charts like they have for church roof funds would help. For each day of not smoking put the equivalent money aside. Up the side have a list of all the bits you need for the bike and mark off what you can afford for not smoking. You'll see what you've achieved and have another goal to work to which may help to keep you on the straight and narrow.

scrumpster
04-01-2008, 08:37 PM
I did cold turkey all those years ago, got a monster and started socially as you know. However I had my last social one on New Years Eve and have to get out the habit of Monster and fags go together - You have got willpower and you can do it :)

Will
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM

You will give up when you truly want to - forget patches and artificial aids.

About 5 years ago I had a 'moment of clarity', I realized that I could not go on smoking forever and get away with it - the stupidity of smoking hit home for real - I gave up there and then and haven't touched it since.

During the first week the cravings were something horrid - but I just kept reminding myself that I had absolutely made the right decision and I was going to beat it - and I did.

gremlin
04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
The problem is, us ex smokers get very smug and forget how awful it was giving up. Having said that I didn't suffer too much, sorry! You really have to want to give up so until that time you probably will find it really difficult if you're being half hearted.

manwithredbike
04-01-2008, 09:14 PM
i packed them in 17 (OMFG 17!) years ago. on previous occasions i went off them and lasted a few days before having one. at that stage i gave up and went on them full steam again. when i finally gave them up, i treated the odd ones as minor blips and stuck straight back into it again. don't crucify yerself for breaking it, just keep at it and consider the odd one as a wee mini-break.

Bodybag
04-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I did it in stages. I stopped smoking in the car to start with. That was the worst bit as I was spending a lot of my working week on the motorway. Then I stopped smoking at work. Easy. Just don't leave your desk. Then I gave up at home by not smoking in the house. Its far too cold to be going outside for a fag at this time of year. I made sure I always had fags in the house and car as the craving seems to be worse when you know you haven't got any. Its easier to know you have them and not smoke then to know you don't have any!! :worried:

Make sure you have plenty of gum, sweets or something similar. You need to give yourself something to do when the craving hits. The first three or four weeks are the worst. After that you won't even miss them.

bod
04-01-2008, 11:13 PM
'moment of clarity' love that expression when it it stops me drinking and smoking that will be my 1st words!

Nim
05-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Hey Nonnie, i havent read through all these posts....but why dont you take lobelia (its a herb that attaches to the nicotine receptors in the body) and also some cinammon and alpha lipoic acid tablets (by Solgar) and Chromium capsules 200mcg. These will help to balance the blood sugar, which stops cravings...id also take something like Rhodiola to help reduce stress levels at the time.

Works every time! PM me if you want me to elaborate :) xx

Thumper
05-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Feel for ya Nonnie. I quit on New Years Eve and so far only had 2 drags on 1 ciggie before throwing it down the drain. Had me in a coughing fit and felt like I was 14 and behind the bike sheds again!

The thing is you have to WANT to give up.

My insentive is lack of money, lack of bike and the lung capacity of an ant :rolleyes:

Since quitting I can pushbike to the shops and back in 6th gear (was 1st gear only) and I dont have some kind of wheezing breathless dizzy attack when I get there and back again. I also felt incredibly stupid making excuses to have a cigarette when I shouldnt, like at work. "ooo no we've run out of staples, no really its fine I'll walk down the road and buy some coz we REALLY need some now". Pathetic.

My skin looks better, my eyes are brighter, my flat doesnt stink, my clothes and hair dont stink and I wont look like a leather handbag by the time I'm 40.

I used to smoke 20 a day, more on a night out. Thats £2,000 a year on fags!! I know you already know this... but write down on a piece of paper how much you spend on fags a year and think about what you could buy with the money, a present for yourself, just you. Then think what you want more, the "present" or a cigarette.

On the downside I am eating like a pig and crave chocolate and other unhealthy goodies. The sugar rush replaces the nicotine craving so now I am having to deal with my chocolate eclair addiction :rolleyes:

Using the cancer scare tactics link doesnt work for everyone. I lost both my parents to cancer. My Dad smoked a pipe like a chimney and yes he died of lung cancer at 54. But my Mum never smoked, was fit and healthy and had cancer twice and died at 62. Cancer does bother me as it runs strongly in the family, but to me it never affected me smoking as I've lost 3 members of family to cancer that never smoked.

To be honest I am finding quitting a lot easier than I thought it would be. The only thing that set me back was getting a nasty email from someone that stressed me out so much that I walked to the shops, got ciggies and lit one up. But it tasted so horrible and made me cough I stubbed it out and handed the rest of the packet to a friend as I was thinking where I could hide them for "emergencies".

Feel free to email me anytime if you need some support, we can quit together and turn into whingers that cough, splutter and mutter "tsssk, disgusting" everytime you see someone smoking :chuckle:

Nonnie
05-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Some productive comments for sure. I like the idea of lobelia, do I smoke the weed?!

Appreciating the offers of support, really I am. Went to a party last night and found myself outside smoking in the pouring bloody rain, in a really nice outfit too and some high heels thinking "What the **** am I doing? Everybody else is indoors and warm"

Still, it meant I missed the salmon canapes so hurrah!

scrumpster
05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
I can now see a lobelia garden coming on :mand:

Nonnie
05-01-2008, 03:40 PM
No, really it's just a tomato plant.

scrumpster
05-01-2008, 03:42 PM
You loon, you can't smoke tomato plants!!!!! I used to smoke pampas as a child - why??????

Nonnie
05-01-2008, 03:44 PM
I do not know but I heard it on good authority that pampas grass in your garden was a sure sign you was a swinger!

p.s. I also heard it on good authority that tomato plants and cannabis look similar.

scrumpster
05-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Cannabis plants smell slightly different and are pointy. I have no pampas in my garden, therefore I am not swinging in the slightest, not doing anything in fact - how boring is that!!!?

Nonnie
05-01-2008, 03:50 PM
At least you ain't smoking !!!

scrumpster
05-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Very true. You'll get there when you really, really want to do it ;)

scorpio2164
05-01-2008, 05:51 PM
You can beat the habit! You can do it! Don't lose the faith!
Cheers

gremlin
05-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Just work out what you are doing when you would normally smoke and change your routine. Clive says it's habit as much as anything, get up, have fag with coffee. Have another coffee, have fag, eat, have fag, I guess it's partly a matter of finding something else to do when you would normally have a fag!
Take up knitting or something so your hands are busy when they would be lighting up or rolling a ciggie, or if you smoke ready mades go over to rollies, then it's an effort to make one which may make the gaps between ciggies longer because they are hassle to make. Or try to cut just one out a day, then cut another till you just don't do it.
It will take time so stop beating yourself up. Nicotine is as addictive if not more so than heroin and look what addicts have to go through. The only difference is that heroin doesn't leave nasty residues in your lungs and arteries.

dlloyduk
05-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Hey Nonnie, i havent read through all these posts....but why dont you take lobelia (its a herb that attaches to the nicotine receptors in the body) and also some cinammon and alpha lipoic acid tablets (by Solgar) and Chromium capsules 200mcg. These will help to balance the blood sugar, which stops cravings...id also take something like Rhodiola to help reduce stress levels at the time.

Works every time! PM me if you want me to elaborate :) xx

Could you elaborate? Is this some kind of Witchcraft?:chuckle:

ladybird
05-01-2008, 08:13 PM
my habit is related to the bike, so unless i give up the bike (which isn't going to happen) at the moment the other habit is not going anywhere either.
however, it's only about 3 a day and most days 2 - one when i get off at work and one before i get back on again to go home (it used to be a few at the pub as well, but we don't sit outside that often so it's down to maybe 1 or 2 at the pub as well)
one pack will last between petrol fills and sometimes longer
so i know i should give up really, but i can't be arsed and there is no point in making myself feel like a failure :)

ladybird
05-01-2008, 08:16 PM
oh, i tried the knitting thing :)
i ended up with a very nice floor length bell sleeved multi-coloured cardigan with a hood - took me three months (and i sat in the smoking room making it most of the time) and then i wore it to glastonbury and smoked loads wearing it instead :D

Lucati
06-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Hypnosis is good - friend of mine did it and it worked, alternatively - if you have kids.... think of this... My mum and dad both died in their 50's of lung cancer (sorry, I know you did'nt want the lung cancer bit!) But before they died they had all kinds of horrible **** happen and sitting in a room with a doctor telling you you've got a month to say goodbye to your kids - f.....g awful for you - worse for them.
You also get to a stage where you have to get someone to wipe your arse for you cos your arms stop working too.....then you have to stop smoking cos you cant light the fags!!!!