PDA

View Full Version : need new chain and sprockets

Chris Glynn
30-12-2007, 09:53 PM
need new chain and sprockets brfore feb, someone please help i need a good long lasting chain to not like the cheap crappy standard one.

Zimbo
31-12-2007, 09:21 AM
http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/

tsubaki x-ring gold chain, renthal steel sprockets.

I wouldn't say the standard one was cheap and crappy though, it's more likely your maintenance could do with a review - all chains will wear out quickly if not maintained well, no matter how good or expensive they are.

Scotty
31-12-2007, 09:43 AM
chain maintenance ? noooooo somebody stop the nightmares :freak:

think my greatest mistake in the past has been not drying (short ride) and lubing the chain (after short ride whilst warm) after washing it

Capo
31-12-2007, 09:44 AM
you are pretty much stuck with the ducati rear sprocket, unless you go for a carrier set up.

Capo
31-12-2007, 09:56 AM
chain maintenance ? noooooo somebody stop the nightmares :freak:

think my greatest mistake in the past has been not drying (short ride) and lubing the chain (after short ride whilst warm) after washing it

Indeed, the greatest enemy of chain life is exposure to the elements.
In days of yore when enclosed chains were common, chain life of enclosed v open could reach a factor of 10:1.

I theorise that devices like the scott oiler provide a cleaning as well as a lubricating function.

A periodic detailed clean ( as in scrubbing each link with a soft toothbrush)will help.

Have the chain off the bike at the moment, done 7,000 miles and a close inspection says it will be good for another 10.000, and then I would remove and inspect.

The Kevlar Kid
31-12-2007, 12:21 PM
http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/

tsubaki x-ring gold chain, renthal steel sprockets.

I wouldn't say the standard one was cheap and crappy though, it's more likely your maintenance could do with a review - all chains will wear out quickly if not maintained well, no matter how good or expensive they are.

Wot he said....

B&C are highly recommended

Chris Glynn
31-12-2007, 05:23 PM
ok i just have one more question, the tsubaki x-ring gold chain, renthal steel sprockets, Capo said that im stuck with the ducati rear sprocket unless i go for a carrier set up ?? what's that and is it true, or will i be ok getting the renthal ones??

Zimbo
31-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Probably best to give B&C a call and see what they can do for you?

Capo
31-12-2007, 10:19 PM
S*R rear sprockets, incorporate the cush drive bushings are are not (that I am aware) made by the aftermarket. However, a number do make a carrier/sprocket system where the sprocket bolts to a carrier that incoporates the cush drive. Intial cost is slightly higher than a replacement Ducati sprocket, but the benifit is that when it comes time for a replacement, the sprocket part is relatively cheap. I dont know if these sprocket are available in steel.

Renthal make a carrier but the finish is poor compared to the STM item I bought.

BTW my S4R came with a DID V chain nothing cheap and nasty about that.

Chris Glynn
04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
S*R rear sprockets, incorporate the cush drive bushings are are not (that I am aware) made by the aftermarket. However, a number do make a carrier/sprocket system where the sprocket bolts to a carrier that incoporates the cush drive. Intial cost is slightly higher than a replacement Ducati sprocket, but the benifit is that when it comes time for a replacement, the sprocket part is relatively cheap. I dont know if these sprocket are available in steel.

Renthal make a carrier but the finish is poor compared to the STM item I bought.

BTW my S4R came with a DID V chain nothing cheap and nasty about that.

thats on an s4r ive got an s2r 800 the chain is said to last 12000 miles i was told and i got 8000 eather way 12000 miles is crap.