PDA

View Full Version : Best battery for 93 M900?

Edcase
30-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Read a few threads already, my battery has died a death in this cold weather and looking for reccommendations for a replacement. Which brand / battery type are other early carb'd M900 owners using? And where from?

thanks
Ed

svstreetfighter
30-12-2007, 10:53 PM
I've got a VARTA YB16AL-12 in my '95 M900....got it from Ray at Rosso Corse in July and it cost around £57 as far as I remember. Not let me down so far :) ......unlike the bike :grump:

Edcase
31-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Great, I use Rosso, will give him a call. thanks!

katana
01-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Varta batteries from online sources should be around £37 delivered from people like mds, tayna etc

Edcase
02-01-2008, 08:43 AM
What's the performance difference with things like gel filled, sealed, manual fill acid etc?

Edcase
02-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Varta batteries from online sources should be around £37 delivered from people like mds, tayna etc

Yes but then add £7 for acid and another £7-8 for delivery?

I imagine RC's price is all-in.

svstreetfighter
02-01-2008, 10:12 AM

Yep, sure was.

katana
02-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Yes but then add £7 for acid and another £7-8 for delivery?

Get an odessey battery then. Or try halfords, they are very cheap with a trade discount card which is very easy to get.

Chaos Inc.
03-01-2008, 08:30 AM
why not use a yuasa.£65 inc. So it's £8 more than this varta? I have used one on my bike and it goes fine. 2000 model, only changed the battery once and that was due to freak damaged in an accident. So 1 battery change in 8 years. Reckon thats good value in my books.

katana
03-01-2008, 02:55 PM
why not use a yuasa.£65 inc. So it's £8 more than this varta? I have used one on my bike and it goes fine. 2000 model, only changed the battery once and that was due to freak damaged in an accident. So 1 battery change in 8 years. Reckon thats good value in my books.

Do yuassa still do them as I tried to get a yuasa sealed one but couldn't get one.

Chaos Inc.
07-01-2008, 08:03 AM
So far as I am aware the yb16ala2 have always been the no seal kind. The newer monsters all use the YT12BBS which is the funky type. Nevertheless, the example I gave takes for granted that the battery is filled and charged for the customer. The only circumstance which would change this is if it is to sent off as there are some strange and draconian laws with regards to postage of acid.

Oh yes, they are still available as I got 6 in before christmass so your local workshop should readily be able to get hold of one.

Edcase
08-01-2008, 08:46 AM
So far as I am aware the yb16ala2 have always been the no seal kind. The newer monsters all use the YT12BBS which is the funky type. Nevertheless, the example I gave takes for granted that the battery is filled and charged for the customer. The only circumstance which would change this is if it is to sent off as there are some strange and draconian laws with regards to postage of acid.

Oh yes, they are still available as I got 6 in before christmass so your local workshop should readily be able to get hold of one.

Is there any reason why the old monster cannot use the new battery?

Chaos Inc.
08-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Yep, totally diff batteries. Size entirely different and the older one is 12v 16a while the new ones use a 12v 10a. Thing is the 16ala2 is cheaper than the 12bbs and lasts better [personal opinion]. Nevertheless, that is the battery for your bike and it is what needs to be used, regardless of which make you get and yb16ala2's are freely available.

yellowfever
08-01-2008, 02:37 PM
I've been told by Ducati UK tech staff that you can use the new type sealed battery for the old bikes. The only issue is that the new sealed batteries are smaller than the old style (and around £10 more), however you can get a part that pads out the battery tray from the old style bikes so the newer smaller battery fits. Only issue apparently is that the positive and negative terminals are the other way around on the newer batteries so may need to extend the earth lead so it all fits. I've got padding part on order so I'll post results in due course....