PDA

View Full Version : trackdays 08

scrapps
28-12-2007, 01:07 PM
So who is up for a few trackdays in 08...:scratch: is the ukmoc going to organise one this year ?. i am looking to do 3/5 days or maybe more this year on 3 or 4 tracks.:yoparty: brands as it is my nearest track. also seen a full noise gp trackday at donnington in april i like the look of and maybe another go at mallory.:rolleyes:
anyone want to come and play ! i also have room on my trailer if anyone need a lift from kent or on route from kent.

slob
28-12-2007, 01:44 PM
memememememe

LouSCannon
28-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Still a little inexperienced here, but would probably come along to watch and learn from the more experienced riders amongst you all...

scrapps
28-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Looking at brands 16th feb. £99.00 maybe a good place to test and get use to the ss..(not been on track yet)

slob
28-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I did 8 very soggy laps of Silverstone before coming home in March and have since convinced myself to wait for April next year.

Gilps
28-12-2007, 03:40 PM
My adice for Donington is to steer well clear. Definitley the worst track day I have done yet. Badly organised by the track owners, although other companies do a few days there too, but the reports from DD'ers who went with other companies was that they were not much better. I think the problem is that as it is a GP circuit you get all these prats turning up just to say they have ridden it. Some of them just don't have a clue. There were guys in inters who clearly should have been in novices but weren't prepared to dent their egos by going in with the newbies. When you get average riders like me on my 50bhp DD bike stuffing gixxer thous and blades then there's got to be something wrong. I won't be doing another one there.

slob
28-12-2007, 03:45 PM
I really enjoyed my Donington GP circuit experience (with No-Limits on late 05) ...apart from binning it between Schwantz and McLeans half way through the day.

fatbloke
28-12-2007, 03:53 PM
I really enjoyed my Donington GP circuit experience (with No-Limits on late 05) ...apart from binning it between Schwantz and McLeans half way through the day.

Apart from your off Rob I thought it was a bloody good day I'd do Donington again.

slob
28-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Apart from your off Rob I thought it was a bloody good day I'd do Donington again.

My off wasn't too bad, it was Stu's that didn't look so clever.

Gadget
28-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm up for a few next year. Did 4 tracks this year. I agree with Slob about the start though, Silverstone was very wet.

Hopefully 2008 will be a better year weather wise.
Roll on springtime.:thumbsup:

gary tompkins
28-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Still a little inexperienced here, but would probably come along to watch and learn from the more experienced riders amongst you all...

You'll learn far more track-side than as a spectator. A properly run day with riders split into groups, improves your riding more in a few sessions than you could get from years of road riding.

scrapps
28-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I had a look at the donni web site looks a long track and maybe a bit on the fast side for a novice like me..maybe best left till late in the year if i go ? also I see what you are saying about the weather but i would like to get out on the ss and get it sorted early.

Gadget
28-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Scrapps... Do you have a plan?

:rolleyes:

fatbloke
28-12-2007, 07:10 PM
My off wasn't too bad, it was Stu's that didn't look so clever.

I've managed to be behind him during both his big spills,,, he wont go with me anymore!

JerryXt
28-12-2007, 07:17 PM
memememememe - I was thinking of Brands in Feb. NoLimits?

Kato is in santaland but he's probably up for it too. Where's Oliver? And JP?

Nim? You've got unfinished business there :)

Gadget
28-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Scrapps, JerryXt, Nim, Monstro69, Gadget, Kato, JP...
that's a garage full already. Put the coffee on.:p :spin:

scrapps
28-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Scrapps... Do you have a plan?

:rolleyes:

Not yet but working on one !

Gadget
28-12-2007, 07:47 PM
I'll come out and play in Feb.
Can we use snow chains if the weather is too inclement?

scrapps
28-12-2007, 08:01 PM
so what other tracks do people fancy :scratch: I have only done brands and mallory so want to try some new ones. any news of a ukmoc day ? maybe we could just block book a no limits day and try a new track !:yoparty:

Zimbo
28-12-2007, 08:06 PM
I plan to do Mallory on 7th March to shake the DD bike down and blow the cobwebs away, if anyone fancies joining me.
Not interested in Feb, too cold still and it's no fun falling off in the cold and wet, take it from one who's tried it! Trackdays where there's no grip = not much fun.

scrapps
28-12-2007, 08:17 PM
I plan to do Mallory on 7th March to shake the DD bike down and blow the cobwebs away, if anyone fancies joining me.
Not interested in Feb, too cold still and it's no fun falling off in the cold and wet, take it from one who's tried it! Trackdays where there's no grip = not much fun.

Mmm mallory in march sounds good maybe a safer option to try the ss (also need some advice on set up ect ) only ever used the monnie on the track and the ss feels very different...

Gadget
28-12-2007, 08:20 PM
The best track I did last year was Cadwell with the DSC.
I'd like to go there again. It is a long way for March if it's cold.
Brands hatch is less than 20 miles from me so the temperature isn't as important.
Are the DSC doing a track day this year?

JerryXt
28-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Re a ukmoc trackday, we could maybe team up with the guys over at ISC. We filled three garages at Brands in november.

Zimbo, that day was perfect - a little chilly, but it was the only dry place in the country :) There was loads of grip once the tyres had warmed up.

I went out in the last session when it had started raining and there was as much grip in the wetas there was in the dry.

Mand
28-12-2007, 08:52 PM

Is it a "no limits" day Zim?

scrapps
28-12-2007, 09:03 PM
after last year i think we will have to take our chances with the weather whenever we go. can be crap any time of the year in the uk...:banghead:
as jerry said the trackday in november was cold but dry and we seemed to have plenty of grip(much to my suprise):eek: i know i am not that fast so dont push the bike that much but most people seemed happy..

Zimbo
28-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Certainly is Mand!! Full noise, £89 (or £80 if you're a DSC member ;))

Jerry - it did sound like a good day, and Brands is very grippy in the wet compared to many other circuits (Donington and Cadwell for instance). Mallory is cheaper though :)

Scrapps - I'm learning to ride an SS too, so you'll be in good company!

Mand
28-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Certainly is Mand!! Full noise, £89 (or £80 if you're a DSC member ;))

I was thinking about a quiet R1 making his debut appearance ?

LouSCannon
28-12-2007, 09:17 PM
You'll learn far more track-side than as a spectator. A properly run day with riders split into groups, improves your riding more in a few sessions than you could get from years of road riding.

So long as there's room for novices and I'm not holding anyone up.... done a few car track days and that used to be one of my pet hates. would hate to ruin someone else's day!

Mand
28-12-2007, 09:24 PM
So long as there's room for novices and I'm not holding anyone up.... done a few car track days and that used to be one of my pet hates. would hate to ruin someone else's day!

ahh you won't! They will just pass you! :D

LouSCannon
28-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Heheh fair enough, will keep tabs on this and jump in if I'm not away for work.

Mand
28-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Heheh fair enough, will keep tabs on this and jump in if I'm not away for work.

ahhh take no notice of the faster ones, believe me I am an expert :mand:

JerryXt
28-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Mallory is cheaper though :)

...but a bl**dy long way from London :D

So long as there's room for novices and I'm not holding anyone up.... would hate to ruin someone else's day!

I've heard many people say that they're going to be the slowest person out there, but it always seems to be someone on a litre sports bike for some reason. NoLimits have instructors to take people round the track and most organisations have yellow tabards for people who want to advertise that they're new and should be treated with extra care. Seriously, when you're out there you get a feel for how people ride - where they're uncomfortable and where they expect to be passed. You'll soon pick it up.

Zimbo
28-12-2007, 09:58 PM

It's very different to car days. On car trackdays there are far stricter rules on overtaking, and of course overtaking is not as easy, so I can see how people get held up. On bike trackdays they'll just slip past with no bother, rules are basically pass wherever you like as long as you do so with consideration to the other rider. So, no need to worry about it!!!

Mand - yes why not??? :)

crust
28-12-2007, 10:01 PM
I did Brands Indy last feb

It really depends on the weather

Was getting wheelspin on black ice on the ride over there but once there, the sun came out and it was a clear day.

By running road pressures managed to get heat into the tyres, no warmers.

Had a good fun day, cant say lap times were that much slower, did wear a body warmer over the leathers all day though, but they are vented.

Will be watching the weather forecast and booking at the last minute.

Will be doing Donnington in the summer, been a few times and never had a problem, go with No Limits, make sure there isnt a club race the following weekend and job's a good un.

Will be doing Spa at least once, possibly combined with the Ring and some alpine passes.

Le Mans is also a possibility.

:) Crust

Scotty
28-12-2007, 10:25 PM
umm track days haven't done one of them for a while

NattyBoy
29-12-2007, 12:06 AM

I promise to take a bike that works this time !

Nim
29-12-2007, 09:56 AM
memememememe - I was thinking of Brands in Feb. NoLimits?

Kato is in santaland but he's probably up for it too. Where's Oliver? And JP?

Nim? You've got unfinished business there :)

Yes i do....and ill be there to finish it!!! After 4 days at Cartagena again in March 2008...cant wait!!!! I took it far too easy last time due to being on an unexpected R6 and trying not to die.....

Nim
29-12-2007, 09:58 AM

Don't worry....Ill be in the novices with you...:)

Mand
29-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Mand - yes why not??? :)

Well I'll let you know nearer the time, I quite fancy another go at Mallory and Dave wants to shake himself down in time for the summer. After his highside, he has decided that scratching should be left for the track. :thumbsup:

scrapps
30-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Glad to see lots of intrest allready... so lets get a plan together:mand:
i am still up for brands in feb, as gadget said close for us and if dry seems to still have grip (also hardly riden the ss so want some practise).
plus could be up for mallory in march if others from down south want to make the trip up could sort something about travel share ect ?.
zimbo want to get rearsets for the ss but will i need to change standard pipes to get clearance aswell?

bod
30-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Hmm...Just been outside mild today while having a smoke,made me think of previous track days need to do another (or 2 ) this year.

Now the bikes a bit older(and paied for) need to get back out there.....in the meantime back to Forza 2 on the Xbox:)

Spike
01-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Seeing Mallory is so close think I'll join you on this one Mand

Zimbo
01-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Glad to see lots of intrest allready... so lets get a plan together:mand:
i am still up for brands in feb, as gadget said close for us and if dry seems to still have grip (also hardly riden the ss so want some practise).
plus could be up for mallory in march if others from down south want to make the trip up could sort something about travel share ect ?.
zimbo want to get rearsets for the ss but will i need to change standard pipes to get clearance aswell?

Hi Scrapps, ideally yes you should try to get a little more clearance on the pipes as well. Fitting the slightly longer shock from an SSie bike should do the trick. Keep an eye on fleabay!

CK & AK
01-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Missed this thread, as been away since early on the 27th:worried:

Looking to sort out a dedicated TD for Monsters & Italian bikes later in the year, hopefully will have a date sorted for you all by the end of Jan.....with Pedro's & Bensons blessings already given :cool:

Brands, Rockingham or Mallory.......

Rockingham (International circuit) is on the list, as there are TD's at weekends there & its very easy to get to from M/ways.
Mallory, as so many of you like the track
Brands Hatch, cos there is always good support for a TD there

Watch out for a thread in this section....................

C:)

Zimbo
01-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Sounds good, I should be on for that one :)

Kerry
01-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi scrapps , donny is a great track! ive done it twice and i would say im not the best or fastest out there but loved every second.

Zimbo
01-01-2008, 04:00 PM
It's horrible in the wet though! Like riding on PTFE!