PDA

View Full Version : So what's the difference S2R / S4R

MrsJel
27-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Ok, so I know one's got 2 valves per cyl the other has 4, one's air cooled the other's got the b***y ugly rad!

BUT, I'm thinking that the S4R or S4Rs could be the next bike for me. So is there really much difference between the S2R & S4R(s) apart from the obvious power and top speed thing?

Surely a test ride is the best answer - but any info greatly appreciated.

Carole

NattyBoy
28-12-2007, 12:19 AM
The S4R has better suspension and brakes. Front forks are also titanium nitrided on the S4R. Calipers are the better goldline variety. Mines still for sale BTW ;>)

S4Rs-Tone
28-12-2007, 06:38 AM
i have only put 30-40 miles on mine so far , but suspension set up is definately much better , you will notice the clatter from the clutch ( which some people love) but i think it is mostly about the HUGE!!!!! power increase this is by far the most powerful bike i have ridden and to be honest im a little bit scared of the throttle at the moment . ive also fitted termi's and had the baffles left out which again gives it " the ducati sound " and overall increased bhp . one thing to consider is the heavier clutch lever . you can have a lighter slave cylinder fitted which reduces the pressure required by 30%.

JerryXt
28-12-2007, 09:16 AM
the only place to open an Rs up is the track IMHO. Maybe it's good having the extra power on long trips too, but the tank range is a little poor.

You haven't said which S4R you're looking at, but the original had a non-testastretta engine with about 115bhp (basically an ST4 without a fairing), the later ones have the testa heads from the 998S and 999S and produce around 130 at the rear wheel.

They're all really well sorted, but the Rs come with ohlins suspension and both testa models have radial brakes, which are slightly better than those fitted to the earlier bikes. They need them tho.

If huge power isn't a priority for you, I'd look at a non-testa bike. The suspension is the same as the later testa S4R and the power is a lot more manageable. Prices are good too.

Gilps
28-12-2007, 03:50 PM
If it were me and I already had the S2R 800 I would consider avoiding the depreciation hit and extra expense of a new bike, and sort out the 800. It will cost between £500 and £1000 to fit new forks, calipers, and discs, then your bike will handle as well the any of the S4R's on the road. You would only really tell the difference on a track against a competent rider. I reckon a well sorted S2R will give an S4R a run for it's money on the road, and when you take into account the lighter clutch and better tank range I think it's the better bike.
The full power of the S4RS is just not useable on the road.

barbican
28-12-2007, 04:35 PM
I went from the S2R800 to the S4Rs and so I can comment on the Rs but not the R.

Good
Suspension - much better, you don't need knee down trackday stuff to appreciate the difference, it feels better and more controlled on crappy roads than the S2r. So it should given the price, to me it's worth it.

Engine - power is greater of course but it is also there at any RPM range (with the full termi's) and whilst I don't ride everywhere at 10000 RPM I like the way the bike goes, it's responsive and instant. (Looking at the figures for the S2r1000 it looks as if it would be just/almost as good in this respect but I didn't try one)

Brakes - OK on the S2R - much better on the S4Rs - this refers to the front, the rears are equaly crap

Looks - Love em or hate em - I like the 4 valve jobs, in spite of the Rad

Bad
Range - 85 miles then the light comes on (better before the termis)

Service cost - 4 valves = more cost, but 07 bikes cheaper apparently

Clutch - heavier and non slipper on the Rs. Never noticed the ATCP clutch on the 800 untill I got the Rs, having said that I have got used to the heavier pull on the lever, and would switch the slave if it ever becomes an issue, as for the lack of slipper, I would obviously like one, but I don't miss it enough to worry, when the original is knackered I'll fit a slipper

If you have a test ride, include the 1000, and let us know your verdict, at the end of the day its about what you like, thay're all fun. Bling vs Valves vs Ohlins it's only money!

MrsJel
28-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks all - you've given me a couple of reasons why I probably wouldnt get on with the 4 valve - forgot about the clutch and the tank range is bad enough on the S2R without going for a worse one.

I will try a test ride in the new year though - no hurry really. The S2R1000 could be a more reaolelistic option (I had the M1000 before, so the engine shouldn't be a surprise). Gilps - take your point on doing up the 800 - could be a lot less expensive than a new one.

Back to my dreams!

Car