PDA

View Full Version : windscreen

Chris & Nean
20-12-2007, 06:42 PM
A chunk of rock slung from a lorries tire smashed our cars windscreen yesterday, I have seen this too times before -with lorries- them being disproportionately responsible for slinging stuff from their tires, compared to cars, and it’s just got to be the fact that lorry tires have wide deep cut treads that are capable of taking up a golf ball sized piece of rock, lorries are often seen on rough ground like construction sites, then next their speeding along chucking crap from their tires, surly this must be a known issue with authorities, yet the design if lorry tires never seems to change to alleviate this problem, its especially relevant to us bikers, think of the forces involved, I cant do maths but common sense tells me that a speeding lorry slingshooting big stones at a speeding motorcyclist could mean impact velocities of hundreds of MPH and fatal injury.

Nickj
20-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Got to love lorries.... Slinging rocks, crud, rubbish falling off of them, dosing the roads with diesel and my pet hate ... spray .. It must be possible to reduce it and should be obligatory

gremlin
20-12-2007, 07:21 PM
i dont think its always crap thrown from the tyre grooves, its more likely just plain running over stones causing them to fly out the back. im sure there was legislation passed many moons ago which made lorries fit those mud flaps with what looks like astro-turf on the inside as this was supposed to cut down on spray. if you can come up with a solution , im sure you can make a mint if marketed properly:biggrin: :biggrin:
the problem isnt isolated to lorries though, cars and bikes throw out lots of spray, its a by-product of the tyres doing their job, dispersing water :)

LouSCannon
20-12-2007, 07:24 PM
My winscreen resembles the face the moon with the amount of stone chips I've gotten off the road.

To be fair it's not always lorries. When it is it's normally crap coming off their load (Particularly tippers) as opposed to being flicked off the road.

It's just bad luck, but yes whenever I'm tailing anything with fat tyres I always fear something being flicked up... but bear in mind the surface area of a car windscreen when compared to that of a visor.

Headhunter
20-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Personally I think they should have a layby before they exit where they are forced to check their tyres. I know it's not exactly practical at the time + they could just as easily pick up and fling debrew from the main road but would certainly help to reduce the chances of this happening.

Thumper
21-12-2007, 08:19 AM
My pet hate round here is all the roadworks, theres mud and rocks EVERYWHERE!! On the road, being thrown up from the lorries and diggers tyres that use the road, off the back of open tippers, its everywhere. I'm quite thankful Daffys not here (not true really), would've looked like a mud monster by now!

Open topped tippers and skips are my real issue, I swear there was a law enforcing them to cover their load with either mesh or tarp!?

The other one is the last time I road the Ducati I was following one of these "mud slingers" and the truck was so overloaded its tyres were almost round in both directions, I was wincing, I swear they were going to burst at any moment, now thats criminal and the cops should look at these trucks more than my numberplate/race cans/black visor etc

gremlin
21-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Being out in the sticks at beet harvesting time makes interesting riding, there is mud everywhere up to three inches thick and with big clods to avoid and occasionally the odd beet falling off the lorry.

Chris & Nean
21-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah damn farmers gremlin, with their uninsured unserviced and untaxed behemoths taking up both lanes, and red diesel in their cars, and cow **** all over the road, mangles falling off their trailers (beets called mangles round our way) I used to chop mangles in the fields when I was a youth, I remember all the village fems fat arses sticking up in the air as they chopped away at em, back breaking work it is too. Our towns a construction site too thumper, there’s nearby sand and gravel quarries as well and their vehicles don’t half spread this red coloured crap about the place, sodding farmers and construction industry, burry them under their own silage heaps I say. Merry Christmas. :devil: :banana: :D

Chris & Nean
21-12-2007, 02:09 PM
yep headhunter I agree that lorry tires pick up and fling stuff thats already leying on the road, mud is one thing and nasty and messy when its spread about the road but if a big rock gets squeezed in to a tread and then ejected like a slingshot, its then thet the really high velocitys might happen, I just think that the tread design could be looked in too, cars dont have huge tread cuts in their tires like comercial vehicles, do they really even need to be like they are?, i want somthing done about it, before chrismas.

gremlin
21-12-2007, 03:55 PM
I do like farmers having been around them and been one for most of my life but I just wish they'd clear up the mud. Around here it's clay so it's really slippy. One road out of our village is so caked up at the moment it's a no go area. Is it only in Norfolk that you get SLOW MUD?

Chris & Nean
21-12-2007, 04:32 PM
I like farmers gremlin, I was only joking about em before, what I remember about them mostly was how they had a tendency to commit suicide, in my area they did anyway, one farm in our village had the dad and two of the sons do it, the farmer next door poisoned himself, next village one shot himself, very strange,!!!. I remember a farm in the next village that was located slap bang in the middle and both sides of the road and on a 90 degree bend, it was called cow**** corner, 1 foot deep cow****, it was like a bog and cars actually got stuck in it, it wouldn’t be tolerated today, its all a barn conversion now and very posh.

gremlin
21-12-2007, 05:31 PM
It's the highest suicide rate occupation apparantly. Not surprising when the numpties in power keep killing their animals though. Foot and mouth isn't fatal to cattle and doesn't harm humans but for some reason they kill everything in sight. When there was the outbreak a few years ago the wood was already in place for burning the cattle. All the outbreakes were in or around National Parks. The government don't want farming in the areas because it upsets the ramblers when they can't wander everywhere. They don't want farming full stop and do every thing they can to destroy it. When the foot and mouth was around some friends of my mums wanted to move some sheep 1/2 a mile, normally they would drive them from field to field, but they were told they had to put them on a trailer, then between batches drive the trailer to a designated washing area which was 20 miles away. By the third batch it was too dark to move the rest, so they had to wait three weeks to be allowed to move them. Each sheep had to have a movement order and have it's passport up to date before it could go anywhere. The paperwork was actually longer than the distance the sheep moved. People wonder farmers top themselves!

banditloon
21-12-2007, 06:52 PM
The lorries we get at work usually have onions falling off/out of them.The joys of having trailers coming back from Spain with onions heading to New Covent Garden market or somewhere....

My pet hate isn't trailers but nails!! Where do they appear from on the road!! And why do I seem to get them in the back tyre! Grrrrrrrrr... Ah unless it is a lorry load of loose nails...

Chris & Nean
21-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Haa Haa banditloon, i know about this, Construction Industry Connector System manufactures they call themselfs, in other words 'Nail Makers' i worked for em too and the road leading to the place has to be seen to be belived