PDA

View Full Version : What have you got planned for 2008 ?

J.P
20-12-2007, 08:19 AM
As the year draws to a close, like most people, I reflect on the year gone, but more importantly, the year ahead.
Here are some of the things I'm looking forward too.

I've already got level 1,2 & 3 booked for the Superbike School to help turn me into a cornering God. But that'll be on a 2008 Yamaha R6. Looks very uncomfortable for a fattie like me.

I really want to do a trackday at Cadwell Park because it looks really nice.
And a good few others too I hope.

I'll be passing my IAM at some point early in the New Year. I'm already at pass level apparently, so just the formalities.

Thinking of a trip to the Alps at the end of June, which I may extend further south in Italy to stay with a friend and try out those lovely roads through Tuscany & Umbria.

Certainly another trip or two over to France just to take the wife on a short weekend break in Normandy.

Maybe an additional bike. Who knows, probably not, but never say never right ?

More bling for the bike ? A bigger bloody petrol tank would help, but I'm sure there's something else I can put on the S4R.

Get to know my suspension better. I don't really know anything about setting it up and haven't even attempted to change it for fear of getting it wrong.

So, that's some of my thoughts.
What about you ? What are you looking forward too ? :o

Rusty35
20-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi JP, sounds like you have a great year ahead. I start with my first Monster early this year, S2R 800. Once I have had the bike for 3 Months I will try out some advanced riding. I have had a Bike for 2 years but low power 125, could get 50 out of it going round corners and got my knee a little down but it was a Suzuki VAN VAN after all! got some technique's off a free CD for the California Superbike advanced training thingy ma jig...About moving on the side of the seat, knee out and weight distribution and counter steering etc... May I enquire about the training you have had and where you started on the advanced side. I would say that I am a intermediate Bike rider and a junior/novice to the big bike community for the time being. By the way I plan on going Bob Slaying next year, allway's fancied it for obvious reasons. I will probably aim at trying to build up a small team of interested parties, maybe all Monster owners.

Gilps
20-12-2007, 08:47 AM
By the way I plan on going Bob Slaying next year, allway's fancied it for obvious reasons.
May I suggest you start with Bob the Builder as that bloody song of his gets right on my t1ts.

Nickj
20-12-2007, 09:02 AM
By the way I plan on going Bob Slaying next year, allway's fancied it for obvious reasons.
Bet you won't get off as lightly as marchesini when that one comes to court!!

J.P
20-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Well Russ, for the Advanced training the best road stuff I did was with Rapid Training, www.rapidtraining.co.uk , really worth the money (£140) in my opinion and I did four of those in 2007, and one day with JerryXT too.

The last year was my first year ever on a bike and I wanted all the pointers right from the beginning. I can't recommend it enough. The trackdays I did, Snetterton, Mallory, Brands also helped build my confidence.

That then led me to join the IAM in my area and just put a qualification to the training I'd done. That's easy to join and a really cheap way of getting help and training. There's bound to be one in your area.

CK & AK
20-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Racing at least 2 Ducati's :cool:
Getting a few trips in, with the bikes - hopefully Europe:woot:
Anticipating a new purchase ;)
Possibly moving house at the end of that year:eyepopping:
Sorting out that trackday later in the year for those in UKMOC who want to come......
Staying in lurve with AK:heart:

C

J.P
20-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Staying in lurve with AK:heart:

C

I almost cried. So sweet.

JerryXt
20-12-2007, 09:54 AM
bleugh.

Doing a few more trackdays on the 748R, maybe getting a riding god to show me the ropes and how to ride it properly. Maybe look at gearing too.

Road trips on the Monster - the mountains look very inviting, but 100 miles to a tank... Got to do something about that. I've got a single seat to get painted up and recovered over the winter.

Learning more about Ducatis from my good mates. And making more new Ducati buddies.

...and a change of government.

gremlin
20-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I want to do a few more miles, get confident enough to go out with my girlie mates and not be scared of dropping my bike! Possibly go for long trip somewhere if my spine holds up.
I would like to get her resprayed etc next winter so hope we actually get enough work to finance it. Unfortunately for me the max is a priority as it's been in bits for nearly two years. I'd love to try a track day later in the year maybe. I just want to pootle around for as many miles as possible, which probably sounds really sad to the rest of you!

Nonnie
20-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Well 2007 would be quite hard to beat.

I got married.

2008 I'd like to get Juan blinged up and beautiful, have him out and about more, meet up with my friends more often, move to somewhere more civilised, have my numbers come up on the premium bonds, stay at my parents new place in France, ride there some day with friends, learn to stop being so intolerant of ****wits or at least actually voice off at them instead, develop an incredible idea and make minty bucks, see at least one of my friends get married before I'm too old to wear something swishy and high heels, overcome my fear of flying and go somewhere with blue skies, sandy beaches and interesting people, climb several mountains and enjoy housework and make plans to deal with it.

Not particularly bike related but Juan is top of the list at the moment.

Thumper
20-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Finding a half decent job that I stick with so I can afford to buy another beautiful Monster :heart:

giler
20-12-2007, 11:07 AM
A few winter nights in the garage tinkering, two weeks with the family
and friends in Gambia February. Le Mans Motot GP with friends (and Shandy!)
in May, then another seven months to fill!

Rusty35
20-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Well Russ, for the Advanced training the best road stuff I did was with Rapid Training, www.rapidtraining.co.uk , really worth the money (£140) in my opinion and I did four of those in 2007, and one day with JerryXT too.

The last year was my first year ever on a bike and I wanted all the pointers right from the beginning. I can't recommend it enough. The trackdays I did, Snetterton, Mallory, Brands also helped build my confidence.

That then led me to join the IAM in my area and just put a qualification to the training I'd done. That's easy to join and a really cheap way of getting help and training. There's bound to be one in your area.

Cheers JP, will look at the sites. IAM? will look into that as well, as you can see I am new to the bigger biking world.

Have a great Christmas, chat to you soon. :chuckle:

ducrissi
20-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Get on the road with my other half in tow - he's just passed his CBT and got a van van for practicing on!

But... at least now he's biking too I might get more chance to get out and meet up with some of the rest of you next year.

I'd also really love to have a go at a track day - but don't think i have the balls to try it - we'll see......

J.P
20-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Don't you worry about the balls, everyone thinks that before they try it for the first time. Then it's easy.

Paivi
20-12-2007, 04:37 PM
I'll be glad if I can stay upright. Most of the things I'll be doing involve my new home, but am hoping to have a few centesimi for a couple of Eurotrips.

gremlin
20-12-2007, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=Paivi;235407]I'll be glad if I can stay upright.
My feeling entirely! It's hard having a loon on a Fazer to keep up with. He's been really good going at my snails pace but I would like to get confident enough to do a Thumper! It would be good to have some money come in one way or another, then the max will be finished which will slow him down alot, which is why he bought it. The Fazer is a hooley machine and wheelies too easily so he's lucky to still have his licence.
We've been wanting to build a new kitchen for the last three years, so it would be good to get that done and put a new floor in the garage, as that has crumbled and has potholes in it, which makes working in there pretty yuk.

Thumper
20-12-2007, 05:56 PM
You will get there!! Dont forget Pinky was £800 and falling to pieces, its easier to thrash something that wont break the bank.

Besides a Monster is a darn sight sexier than a Fazer, you win on that one... oh and who gets the most looks at the bike shop/local meet. The lovely lady on the Ducati or the geezer on the Yamaha :biggrin:

gjfevans
20-12-2007, 06:20 PM
A gang of us (10) on an assortment of two wheeled entertainment are going to the Nurburg ring in June so that should be fun:woot:
Has anyone on here ridden over before? Know any good roads to try. We will be going from Hull to Rotterdam then overland (Obviously) from there over the course of a week

JerryXt
20-12-2007, 06:37 PM
LO mate! Go with these guys and tell them Jerry from ISC sent you. You SHOULD get a small discount! They know the track and do guided rides around it.

http://www.thenurburgringexperience.co.uk

gremlin
20-12-2007, 06:49 PM
You will get there!! Dont forget Pinky was £800 and falling to pieces, its easier to thrash something that wont break the bank.

Besides a Monster is a darn sight sexier than a Fazer, you win on that one... oh and who gets the most looks at the bike shop/local meet. The lovely lady on the Ducati or the geezer on the Yamaha :biggrin:

I can trump you on that one! Gremlin had stood outside for five years and cost £650 and broke down first trip out in less than a mile bless her.
Yup we do get more looks but it could be cos I look like a pea on an elephant.:biggrin: The guys at the cafe we use really tease me about looking so tiny, still when I can beat the young whipper snappers I'll have the last laugh, they won't like being beaten by an old bird on an old Ducati.

Nickj
20-12-2007, 07:01 PM
About 13 - 14,000 miles LOL

Thumper
21-12-2007, 08:10 AM
LOL Go Gremlin!! :flag:

GJ, I went to the Ring in 2003 on my TL, god knows what roads we were on, the guy organising it clicked "caravan route" on the map planner and it took us through some amazing roads. After we did the Nurburgring we went to the Black Forest and my god there are some amazing roads round there, some with very heart stopping sheer drops!

A little further afield round Germany I can recommend some lovely places both to stay, for great roads, food and everything else. Firstly Lake Bodensee (aka Lake Constance), then Lake Clausensee and if you fancy heading over to the Austrian Border to Germany go and visit the Zugspitze, its the biggest mountain in Germany, the cable car ride is unforgetable and theres a lovely B&B/Hotel at the foot of the mountain which is also a caravan and camping site and theyre very biker friendly.

Finally theres Landstuhl in the heart of Rhineland, its where I spent my childhood and my godparents live there. Its a beautiful area with some lovely roads and amazing views. Modern it is but Landstuhl dates back to the 15th Century and the Castle is worth a visit.

There we go, shouldnt get bored with that lot ;)

gary tompkins
21-12-2007, 10:47 AM
A little less rain at Arrow Mill in 2008 would be nice :rolleyes:

Quite fancy getting abroad with UKMOC this year. Nothing too adventurous - maybe a long weekend jaunt over the channel?

Think the monster (solo) will be going in the new year, and will start shopping for something else - possibly a sport classic, but the trike's here to stay as it's sooo much fun :)

MilesB
21-12-2007, 12:08 PM
A bit more milage in hopefully better weather.

Already booked to go to the Picos du Europa (Northern Spain) in early summer.
Hoping to go to Spa (Belgium) for classic bike event, and planning on going to the Manx GP.

Miles

SJR999r
21-12-2007, 12:59 PM
lose 2 stone
get fit
get a tan
more sex
have a partner(male or female aint bloody fussed!!) this time next year
a ducati
clear debt
be happy
be less moody,(tho i thinks its a virgo thing!)

not much to ask!!!

happy xmas and new year everyone :yoparty:

CK & AK
21-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Quite fancy getting abroad with UKMOC this year. Nothing too adventurous - maybe a long weekend jaunt over the channel?

I'll be in contact in the new year Gazza :running:

Humbucker
21-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Getting some bling, going abroad, seeing a MotoGP and/ or suberbike race, doing a trackday. And basically having a lot more fun than i did this year clocking up only 2000 miles.

Away from biking, seeing the hammers win a trophy (i can dream)

Finally doing a gig with my band

Moving house.

This time next year will be intresting to see how much we all actually did that we wanted too.

Merry Christmas Everyone

gjfevans
23-12-2007, 06:50 PM
LOL Go Gremlin!! :flag:

GJ, I went to the Ring in 2003 on my TL, god knows what roads we were on, the guy organising it clicked "caravan route" on the map planner and it took us through some amazing roads. After we did the Nurburgring we went to the Black Forest and my god there are some amazing roads round there, some with very heart stopping sheer drops!

A little further afield round Germany I can recommend some lovely places both to stay, for great roads, food and everything else. Firstly Lake Bodensee (aka Lake Constance), then Lake Clausensee and if you fancy heading over to the Austrian Border to Germany go and visit the Zugspitze, its the biggest mountain in Germany, the cable car ride is unforgetable and theres a lovely B&B/Hotel at the foot of the mountain which is also a caravan and camping site and theyre very biker friendly.

Finally theres Landstuhl in the heart of Rhineland, its where I spent my childhood and my godparents live there. Its a beautiful area with some lovely roads and amazing views. Modern it is but Landstuhl dates back to the 15th Century and the Castle is worth a visit.

Thanks for that lot Thumper I will get my atlas out and start planning:thumbsup:

Will
23-12-2007, 09:34 PM

Went to visit the brother-in-law in Landstuhl a couple of years ago - the kids loved exploring the castle.

gremlin
23-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Hopefully will get back to Fighterama at the end of the year.

singletrack
24-12-2007, 06:59 AM
lose 2 stone
get fit
get a tan
more sex
have a partner(male or female aint bloody fussed!!) this time next year
a ducati
clear debt
be happy
be less moody,(tho i thinks its a virgo thing!)

not much to ask!!!

happy xmas and new year everyone :yoparty:

LOL - that gave me a giggle.

Have a good New Year - i hope your dreams come true.

singletrack
24-12-2007, 07:04 AM
I have just lost 3 stone so I plan to lose another stone and then then keep it off!
I have booked a CSS level 1 in April.
I plan to get an off road bike.
I will bling up my Monster - new forks, brakes and rearsets in the garage and rear shock on order. Now I have to find some other fancy bits to make it pretty.
I'd love to go abroad on my bike, but I am not sure it will happen in 2008.

I will also be moving house - we have sold this one and need to be out at the end of January, but can't find anywhere to live :banghead:
It looks like it will be an eventful year.