PDA

View Full Version : Tis done. I have been sentenced to ....

marchesini
19-12-2007, 07:01 PM
not death by stoning as some feel I deserve.

Anybody remember my speeding with no insurance mishap? Well, I have been to the courts and have been given my medicine. So, as it's Christmas and I haven't been sent to prison, I thought I'd have a guessing game:

70 in a 30 on a motorcycle, 7pm in the evening, no insurance and no points on my licence (at the time).

So what did I get (fine, ban, points)....

No prizes but just a bit of fun

Best all

Simon

slob
19-12-2007, 07:10 PM
28 day ban, £140 fine + costs?

Scotty
19-12-2007, 07:13 PM
ill see that 28 days and 140+costs

and il raise you to a 56 day ban £500 + Costs

Nonnie
19-12-2007, 07:14 PM
You've been sent to Guantanamo Bay where conditions are not as harsh as previously reported so along with some nice "Easyjet" type overalls, you have been given intermittent internet access, your own bathroom and some Jeremy Clarkson DVDs?

ricky
19-12-2007, 07:15 PM
1 year ban and 500 quid!

scrumpster
19-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Erm now let me think, over twice the limit so I'd say a years ban and depending on your earnings £400 fine....................

ricky
19-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Erm now let me think, over twice the limit so I'd say a years ban and depending on your earnings £400 fine....................

cheat that is nearly copying mine!!!:cry: aw please put me out my misery i know i have it!! im a master at guessing!!:rolleyes:

Headhunter
19-12-2007, 07:31 PM
As it's Christmas, an 848?

6 month ban - £450 fine + costs.

JerryXt
19-12-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm going lower on the ban and higher on the fine. 28 days and £1200?

Black Ferret
19-12-2007, 07:35 PM
28 days ban, £250+costs

scrumpster
19-12-2007, 07:37 PM
cheat that is nearly copying mine!!!:cry: aw please put me out my misery i know i have it!! im a master at guessing!!:rolleyes:

Well it's usually about a year for double the speed limit and I wasn't copying honest!!!! :look:

Humbucker
19-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Bearing in mind no insurance also, 12 months + £1000

sidrat
19-12-2007, 07:46 PM
10 points, £600 fine, no ban

neilbaldry
19-12-2007, 07:47 PM
fine, points, community service?

stef
19-12-2007, 07:56 PM
the chair ?

Stafford
19-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Mmmm.... 3 month ban and £500 fine

ricky
19-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Well it's usually about a year for double the speed limit and I wasn't copying honest!!!! :look:

:woot: i know but i like to feel special!! :fou:

scrumpster
19-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Special as in special needs? :D

ricky
19-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Special as in special needs? :D

my needs are very special! :cens:

Rogerg
19-12-2007, 08:43 PM
hmm well considering my mate just got done for Careless Driving, no License & no insurance - he got 8 points and a £650 fine.

but they've declared war on speed so yeah - its gotta be crucification ....Line on the left...one cross each....

Dave in USA
19-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Knowing the UK legal system....

A slap on the wrist and a weeks holiday in a nice little chatet in Bognor.

Personally, I'd slap you silly.

gremlin
19-12-2007, 08:54 PM
you got off on a technicallity ?? :biggrin: the cops did sumfink wrong with their paperwork

Mand
19-12-2007, 08:59 PM
You have been sentenced to riding a scooter for the rest of your life?

ricky
19-12-2007, 09:29 PM
a speeders awareness course!!!:eek: bloody lucky git if ya did! if so with a 6 months ban and fine

Guzzirider
19-12-2007, 09:36 PM
The birch?

Bodybag
19-12-2007, 11:01 PM
6 Points for the no insurance bit; and as you're minted I'm reckoning on a HUUUUUUGGGE fine!! Maybe £1200? Oh and you're being forced to ride this? :pd:

Paivi
19-12-2007, 11:42 PM
70 in a 30, with no insurance?

Whatever you did get, I'd say it wasn't enough.

Muttley
19-12-2007, 11:51 PM
an evening with Bubba in Brixton and whatever you can get him to pay you???

Blind Alan
20-12-2007, 12:31 AM

Agreed :twak:

Gilps
20-12-2007, 06:10 AM
3 month ban plus £500 fine for the speeding
3 points and £100 fine for the insurance, or lack of

fatbloke
20-12-2007, 06:25 AM
beheading!! or are you really that short?

Zimbo
20-12-2007, 06:26 AM
6 points for no insurance, 3 month ban, £600.

grunter
20-12-2007, 06:41 AM
wrapped in a matress and hit with sticks, hung from the ceiling covered in water and wires to your gonads (you know like mel gibson)
myself i think you should have been hung drawn and quartered and sent to the four corners of Poland as a lesson to others:fou: :devil:
with the words BBFL tattoo on your bits:D

fatbloke
20-12-2007, 06:44 AM
6 points and a hair cut!!!

J.P
20-12-2007, 07:54 AM
I think that's enough guessing now.
PLEASE RELEASE US FROM OUR ANTICIPATION

marchesini
20-12-2007, 08:43 AM

Well, whoever told you that was lying.. not even close ;)

squiffything
20-12-2007, 08:50 AM
You got away with it didn't you. You got yourself a damn good lawyer and wangled a few hours in front of a govt video of how bad it is to ride/drive really fast and got away with it. Come on fess up that you jammed a nothing cop on what you did.

marchesini
20-12-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm going lower on the ban and higher on the fine. 28 days and £1200?

A man who seems more familiar with the workings of the judicial process. You have been the closest (closest being used very loosely here).

Just as another clue, the offences and respective fines were administered separately.

marchesini
20-12-2007, 08:57 AM
You got away with it didn't you. You got yourself a damn good lawyer and wangled a few hours in front of a govt video of how bad it is to ride/drive really fast and got away with it. Come on fess up that you jammed a nothing cop on what you did.

No, I didn't get away with it. I wore a suit and tie (a punishment in itself) and was very respectful to everybody. I didn't hire some celebrity lawyer as I felt that would look like I was trying to get out of it so wrote up my mitigation along with some letters referring to my good and honest character (that was hard finding people prepared to do that :)) and stood up and explained myself.

Fortunately, a friend of mine knows a magistrate so was able to give me some basic guidelines of what to expect and I was just grateful that there was no threat of a custodial sentence. Anything after that, I was prepared for (ish).

Best

Simon

J.P
20-12-2007, 08:59 AM
So, So, So ??? What did you end up with

marchesini
20-12-2007, 08:59 AM
..... and a hair cut!!!

Jesus, that's harsh. It's not like I killed someone ...

(slob, are you taking notes here. It's a good job Mr FB isn't on these judging panels!)

marchesini
20-12-2007, 09:01 AM

And that is exactly why you have mitigation and are allowed the right to explain your actions ...

Happy Christmas

marchesini
20-12-2007, 09:08 AM
So, So, So ??? What did you end up with

OK.

I got a 6 week ban (42 days), 0 points and £2060 fine (£1000 fine for each offence + costs).

I expected a month ban and £500 - £1000 fine and 8 points. My friend's magistrate friend said if it was her, I would get a week or two ban, 8 points which would stay on after the ban ended and a weeks wages fine.

Apart from the fine, I consider it a pretty fair result (although I am surprised that I have no points but hey, maybe the suit did the trick?

Happy Christmas everyone

Simon

neilbaldry
20-12-2007, 09:13 AM
you lucky bugger! i mean really you got off pretty lightly considering the recent clampdown on bikers. so, does this mean, for the 6 weeks your not behind the wheel (the crimbo period) you'll be drinking, and the missus will be driving?

squiffything
20-12-2007, 09:16 AM
The lack points is a bonus, the ban seems fair and at this time of year the bike will not be missed although the car with its heated seats etc would have been better than public transport. As for the fine I guess you will just have to wait another month before you put them solid titanium/gold/magnesium alloy wing mirror stems on that lovely beast of yours :)

Capo
20-12-2007, 09:16 AM
The fine allbeit rather stiff, more than compensates for no points, just ask for time to pay.

mad_turnips
20-12-2007, 09:27 AM
me thinks the courts christmas party was undefunded until you walked in

marchesini
20-12-2007, 09:35 AM
me thinks the courts christmas party was undefunded until you walked in

I was pretty ok with everything until my mum-in-law asked why I had to pay more than others? Basically - IF I had been doing 59 in a 30 it would have been £60 + 3 points and those extra 11 mph have cost me a £1000.

No insurance is normally 6 points and £250 fine (payable over 2 years at 52p per week) so my unintentional insurance forgetfulness has cost me 4 times more than a deliberate attempt not to pay scooter riding chavster would be fined (if they were indeed charged in the first place!).

But hey, it's Christmas and I'm not sharing a cell with Bubba and friends :)

JerryXt
20-12-2007, 09:36 AM
A man who seems more familiar with the workings of the judicial process. You have been the closest (closest being used very loosely here).

fortunately not for many years. The law takes earnings into account when determining the level of a fine. Points and bans are applied to everyone equally. Personally, I think individually, the fines were ok, but together they're a little high.

IMHO, the verdict was fair. What's not fair is the extra insurance premiums you're going to have to pay in addition to the legal punishment you've just received.

So are we going to see you at the track more often next year? Did you get the 853 sorted after Rockingham?

Thumper
20-12-2007, 10:43 AM
You got off really lightly with no points!

In 2003 I got caught doing 61mph in a 30 (It was an honest mistake, was a dual carriageway with a sneaky 30 sign I missed).

I went to court and the charges were obviously the speeding, jumping traffic lights (I filtered and took off on the red/amber), undertaking, road racing (dont ask, I wasnt, I was just following a friend on a ZX6R), riding without due care and attention (teeny wheelie away from traffic lights, well it was a TL1000S!), black visor and race cans.

I'd only been riding just under 2 years. I went to court with my current boss who pleaded I needed my license for work. Sadly they asked him for my salary tho :hissy:

I exchanged 9 points for fines and got 3 points, a £1,800 fine and a 2 day safety course ran by Sussex Police.

Before I went to court (6 week wait) I joined the IAM, did the training courses and also completed my ROSPA Bronze course with a police motorcyclist. I also sold the TL1000S 2 weeks after I got caught and bought a CBR400. In my plea I said I had bought a bike that was too powerful for me to handle with limited experience and it was a mistake that I had learnt from. They said if I hadnt have done all that to prove I knew my mistakes then they wouldnt have been so lenient. I also got completely demoralised and called naiive, stupid, idiotic, dangerous, thoughtless and anything else that made me cry and look stupid.

I had to sell the CBR4 to raise the money for the fine and was bikeless for 2 months.

Oh it was an unmarked car that caught me and had the whole thing on his VASCAR whatsit.

I did learn my lesson though and thought it was fair.

I hope the fine doesnt cripple you too much and the days you are banned flies past, hey its xmas and its cold outside who needs a bike at the minute anyway! :)

marchesini
20-12-2007, 11:02 AM
You got off really lightly with no points!

In 2003 I got caught doing 61mph in a 30 (It was an honest mistake, was a dual carriageway with a sneaky 30 sign I missed).

My 30 was also a two lane single direction road in a tunnel (not sure if it's a dual carriageway but as good as) but I knew I was speeding but really shocked at how fast I was going. Being honest, I still believe that speed was over - 55/60 yes but no way was I doing 70. I'm not a quick rider and I would know if I was 'ragging it' and I definitely wasn't that day - no wheelies, nothing. Just brisk acceleration in a 150 - 200m stretch of road.

The no points I believe was a schoolboy error as I expected points aswell. Wonder how my insurance premiums will be affected? :hissy:

Nice to know that I'm not the only child of Satan on these forums. Black visor, race cans, undertaking, excessive speed - I bet you mug old ladies when you're not cutting up people on the road ;)

LouSCannon
20-12-2007, 01:05 PM
The no points I believe was a schoolboy error as I expected points aswell. Wonder how my insurance premiums will be affected? :hissy:

As you've received a ban you have to declare that, which I believe lasts as long as points do (5 years).

Seriously, no insurance, would have thought more then just six weeks. I have friends who have been through the nightmare of being in an accident with an uninsured party and it ain't fun.

Thumper
20-12-2007, 03:41 PM
No insurance is very naughty but you seem happy to take all this on the chin and admit your faults, your a decent bloke, not out there to do anyone any harm so dont beat yourself up too much, you didnt hurt anyone or yourself, just your pride, we all make mistakes.

I wasnt bad on purpose, just young, stupid and inexperienced trying to keep up with a more experienced rider on a bike a bit too powerful for me at the time. My 3 points and fine didnt affect my insurance at all.

My brother was given a 6 week ban last year for doing 120mph on the M4 at 3am in the morning with no other traffic on the road. His premium also didnt get affected.

Best of luck with insurance, dont forget to look around not all insurers are the same. I am with Express and they werent bothered about my conviction.

Oh and Lou is right, it will stay with you for 5 years, well its traceable for a lot longer but insurance companies usually only like to know about convictions and claims within 5 years.

LouSCannon
20-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Insurance companies do give me the hump sometimes....

Points stay on your license for four years, yet they want to know about them for five.

I can't use my car no claims discount on my bike insurance, but any points or accidents on my car insurance will affect my bike insurance?!

Someone who drives 5,000 miles a year earns the same discount as someone who drivers 50,000 a year?!

To be fair, points are affecting quotes a lot less, simply because SO many people have them now. I've got 9 on mine, although 3 have expired and the other 6 are due to expire early next year I'll no doubt pick up some more just through lack of constantly watching the speedo more then road.

gremlin
20-12-2007, 05:45 PM
The speeding thing does bug me, I think there should be flexible limits, after all 120 at 3am on an empty road isn't doing any harm, unlike 120 in rush hour. The same with 20 zones, yes there should be low speeds outside schools but why have the same speed at night or at weekends when there are no children. I'm sure the technology is there to do it.
I got done years ago doing 34 in a 30, a copper stuck his hand up and I stopped unlike the three cars that had p'd past me. Later the head of traffic told me I should have gone to court because it probably wouldn't have stuck. I don't know why you can now be fined for 32 when it has always been 36 in a 30, it's so easy to creep over the limit, and if you're constantly looking at the speedo you're not looking at the road leaving yourself open to a "without due care and attention if you hit someone"

sidrat
20-12-2007, 06:24 PM
My ex had a guy turn right in front of her, she went over the bonnet, did her knees in, wrote the bike off. He had no insurance, no licence and no tax. He got a £150 fine and 6 points on his licence which would start when he actually got one!...oh he also had to pay compensation to his victim, it took him three years to pay the..........£68!
The only downside is that he didn't do the job properly the stupid b*tch that she turned out to be.....sorry does that sound a little bitter?

gremlin
20-12-2007, 06:55 PM
You obviously didn't pay him enough!

Scotty
20-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Nice to know that I'm not the only child of Satan on these forums.

like you were ever going to challenge Thumper for that title :flamed:

ricky
20-12-2007, 07:34 PM
dark visor - check
loud pipes - check
love to filter -check
wee WHEELIES from lights - check (coz i cant do big ones yet!)
wee no plate - check

am i a hooligan?????

NO! i ride a ducati!!:woot: :woot:

Thumper
21-12-2007, 07:52 AM
:biggrin: :chuckle:

Its not related to driving but an ex of mine still owes me over £2,500 compensation ordered by the courts from 18th February 2006, he went on a spending spree using my debit card. He paid £10 on 24th February and thats all I've received. Despite monthly phonecalls to the magistrates court and there being god knows how many bailiff orders and warrants for arrest out he is still enjoying life riding around on a ZX7R which in theory could be seized, sold at auction and used to pay off the compensation debt.

Sid, you aint bitter, I wish I hadnt picked him up from the road when he crashed his Bandit (into me), there was a large coach approaching, would've done the job nicely ;)

Firnd of mine last year had a horrific bike accident. He was riding his CB1300 and 2 polish guys were towing another car behind them using bailer twine, it was invisible (at night) and about 10 metres long, the first car pulling the other pulled out infront of my mate and the twine caused a trip wire effect to his bike leaving him injured. No license, no insurance for the polish guys and it was never sorted out, his bike was a mangled mess and he had some interesting bruising.

mad_turnips
21-12-2007, 08:14 AM
wow sid and you seemed such a nice clam man when we met

NattyBoy
21-12-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that mate ...

I know how much you were looking forward to picking the soap up in the showers..lol !!!!

gremlin
21-12-2007, 09:58 AM
You sound like you pick the same types I used to pick Thumper! I'm still paying for my ex's camper van because he put it on the mortgage. The bastid sold it last year as well. Ho hum.

Blah blah
21-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Nice to hear that you aren't in the clink Marchesini and worrying about picking up the soap, but (just a suggestion) sort your fuggin insurance out next time...!

scrumpster
22-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I was pretty ok with everything until my mum-in-law asked why I had to pay more than others? Basically - IF I had been doing 59 in a 30 it would have been £60 + 3 points and those extra 11 mph have cost me a £1000.

No insurance is normally 6 points and £250 fine (payable over 2 years at 52p per week) so my unintentional insurance forgetfulness has cost me 4 times more than a deliberate attempt not to pay scooter riding chavster would be fined (if they were indeed charged in the first place!).

But hey, it's Christmas and I'm not sharing a cell with Bubba and friends :)

I'd say it definitely depends on what county you are in and I would say don't do the same thing in Hampshire :D and you have been extremely lucky!!!!

kevm
22-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Amazing our British justice. The guy that pulled out in front of me in his Jensen, killed my first wife who was pillion and I got broken knees and feet, He got found guilty and got............................ £75 fine and an endorsment!!! Some time ago, but the copper involved, actually told me, if I had caused the death of his wife in those circumstances, I would probably have 'gone down.'

scrumpster
23-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Jesus, that's awful Kev :worried:

ricky
23-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Amazing our British justice. The guy that pulled out in front of me in his Jensen, killed my first wife who was pillion and I got broken knees and feet, He got found guilty and got............................ £75 fine and an endorsment!!! Some time ago, but the copper involved, actually told me, if I had caused the death of his wife in those circumstances, I would probably have 'gone down.'

that has to be one the most awful things i have ever heard in my life!!!

jerry
25-12-2007, 02:06 AM
Death by Ducati deprivation

Capo
25-12-2007, 09:12 AM

There a a number of our eastern european friends living in my locality, they appear to be indifferent to our laws, local rag is full of drink driving cases, recent one got caught 3 times over limit, no license, no insurance while serving a ban for the same offences (3 months into it). Got a £250 fine and another ban.