PDA

View Full Version : I want to squeeze my 750!

wax
17-12-2007, 07:58 PM
This is my first post, so be gentle with me........

I purchased a 2002 M750ie dark off a mate of mine. And to think i nearly got an yamy R6! I must have been trippin', as they say in rap music! (You shouldn't make any decisions on mushroom, in my experience!)
Suffice to say that I love it more than the wife, especially after i fitted the termi carbon cans. Decelerating is more fun than accelerating for gods sake!

I now feel that I could do with a few more gee-gee's though. It would be a real shame to sell up and move on, we are still in our honeymoon phase, and it would save any difficult questions from the bread-knife.
I wanted to fit a power commander and k&n type gizmo's to help it realise its potential. Having said that, i cannot find a power commander to suit this model? Anyone got any ideas? It is an injection model me thinks....Will i need ot set up on a dyno?

I remmember reading an article about a company called Sigma racing who do a big bore conversion for a 748 / 749. Lots more power plus low down grunt: right up my ally.
Does anyone do a similar type upgrade for a 750 monster? I have a budget of 1.5 - 2 grand max,. What would you do if you were me? The old 'bangs per buck' question ay? Are there any good companys out there who can offer a good value service, pref' in the south west (Bristol area)?

Also i wanted to bling it up a bit and fit an open clutch cover and gold pressure plate. Can i open her up with my spanners and start replacing that lot, or do i need special commpressor / tools. Will it be a can of worms, in other words? You know, left over bits and a nasty metal-on-metal noise stylee.

Oh, one last ting. I want to fit one of them new clutch slave cylinders that promise to reduce the lever pressure. Can anyone recommend a good one?

And help would be greatly appreciated.

Wax

sbex216
17-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Well being in the Bristol area, your best bet is Richie at Louigimoto he's over at Clutton Hill. He's the Godfather in the SW.

Steve

Nickj
17-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi Wax, well the clutch would be tricky, its a wet one so an open clutch is out without some heavy engineering!! Might be a good investment to fit a slipper clutch though. There's quite a bit on here about that in other old strands.

Power commanders don't list the 750IE as far as I can see, you might find the 620IE version with a re-map might well be the biz tho'. These seem to be around 250 at the moment as people shift remaining stock. Someone is going to know or will know someone who does if it'll work, can't see why not though.

Some work on the suspension might be a good idea, certainly the rear shock could be lots better. Best advice on this one will turn up very soon I'm sure.

sbex216
17-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Forgot to mention, i think your find the 750 is a wet clutch so you'll make a mess blinging that up!!

Scotty
17-12-2007, 09:27 PM
sell it buy a 900

gary tompkins
17-12-2007, 11:06 PM
^^^^ wise words ^^^^

Zimbo
18-12-2007, 05:30 AM
The big bore upgrade for the 750 is indeed available, it's called a 900.
Seriously, you won't get far in tuning the 750, it's largely wasted money for little gain. The valves are too small, the camshaft is of a conservative profile, etc. Sell it and buy a 900, which is a BIG step up in power and torque. All your extras (cans etc) will transfer straight over. You also get better forks, and you get the dry clutch too.

CK & AK
18-12-2007, 06:58 AM
The big bore upgrade for the 750 is indeed available, it's called a 900.
Seriously, you won't get far in tuning the 750, it's largely wasted money for little gain. The valves are too small, the camshaft is of a conservative profile, etc. Sell it and buy a 900, which is a BIG step up in power and torque. All your extras (cans etc) will transfer straight over. You also get better forks, and you get the dry clutch too.

Exactly what Zimbo said - or just look out for a replacement 900ie engine to transplant - and let us know if you are getting rid of the 750ie engine :)

Seriously - its just not worth it with the 750 - nor doing the big bore on the 600's or 620 either - lots of hard work for just about minimal gain...

wax
18-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Looks like its just the power commander for now then. Will this need a dyno set-up? I am sure the geezer i purchased the monster off said it was a dry clutch!

Anyone want to buy a clutch cover......................

CK & AK
18-12-2007, 09:00 AM
You will need a dyno setup for the PC, so the fuelling can be aligned properly.

I'd go & take the p*** out of the person who sold it to you, as they cant have known much about Ducati's...

mad_turnips
18-12-2007, 09:35 AM
first bit of bling ..... new hat :)

JerryXt
18-12-2007, 09:58 AM
hey - I've got a hat like that!

JerryXt
18-12-2007, 09:59 AM
if luigi have a dyno, they'd be the place for me. Otherwise motorapido in Winchester - a couple of hundred yards off the M3.

wax
18-12-2007, 10:21 AM
My mum knitted that!

wax
18-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Anyone had any dealing with JHS racing in Bristol http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/index.htm . They have a dyno......

Scotty
18-12-2007, 04:29 PM
having said sell it , some people reckon the 750 is the best of both worlds more grunt than a 600 but rev-eyer than the 900

uh if you do go after a 900 don't get one with 750 heads that would be a real kick in the sack :o

Zimbo
18-12-2007, 05:24 PM
JHS in Bristol have a good reputation and know a fair bit about Ducatis, I'd say they'll be ideal.

wax
29-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Ive just booked it in for a dyno run and power commander. We shall see. They sell hats too......