PDA

View Full Version : How do you ride in the frost ??

J.P
13-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Givent he current spell of very cold weather, anyone got any advise for me riding in these conditions ?
I've done rani, plenty of rain, but none of these frosty mornings and I need to use the bike on Saturday morning for a short trip.

Mand
13-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Carefully. :chuckle:

J.P
13-12-2007, 08:29 AM
What and, 'don't pull the frant brake very hard'.
Is that right Mand ?

Mostro69
13-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Definitely UPRIGHT

spm23
13-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Take is easy from the outset. I "binned" 30 yards from home last year, cold tires on cold road, no sign of ice. Only when you have some heat in your tires should you relax. Oh yeah and easy on the brakes especially on the lean.

JerryXt
13-12-2007, 08:58 AM
yup, warm the tyres, hang off, don't use lower revs than usual otherwise the rear will break away on corners if it's receiving large thumps.

Stick to well-travelled routes. Look at the road for obviously shiny areas and be aware of the outside temperature - if you're in a cold pocket it might be more icy there.

Oh, and spray the bike with light oil (NOT the disks) to stop the salt corroding the ally.

gremlin
13-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Fit stabilisers no probs then!

Nickj
13-12-2007, 12:23 PM
As above also leaves, which get extra slippery.
You'll often find that the cars will make you a pair of nice dry stripes, not on ideal bike lines but if it's just mildly frosty and not been wet these will mostly be a slip free chicken zone. Major roads and bus routes will usually be gritted so easier on anything minor.
Observe, watch for places where the sun don't shine so remain cold enough for water to keep frozen or if it's a zero day where stuff might refreeze.
Just be smooth (er than usual) and pack up on armour

Nickj
13-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Oh, keep warm and empty bladder before you go, nothings more distracting than that 'had your fingers slammed with a hammer' and a gotta go now feeling. LOL

Albie
13-12-2007, 12:31 PM
I would tend to use the rear brake more so than fronts as its a single and a tad smaller.Obviously I would still use the fronts but bring them in later. Dont want it to tuck under.

Mand
13-12-2007, 01:13 PM
What and, 'don't pull the frant brake very hard'.
Is that right Mand ?

Correct! And make sure you wear your vest tucked into your pants as well. Not nice having a cold back.

Headhunter
13-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Exactly as Jerry and the others say (potential spoof band name).

I find it's the corners where you need to be most careful, as they tend not to defrost due to lack of use and the chances of exactly following a cars track where there is less ice is less likely.

mad_turnips
13-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I've done rani

my best mates called rani i dont think her bloke will be very pleased

J.P
13-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Correct! And make sure you wear your vest tucked into your pants as well. Not nice having a cold back.

What a great piece of advice. I will make sure the stringy is well and truely tucked in.

Mand
13-12-2007, 03:27 PM
What a great piece of advice. I will make sure the stringy is well and truely tucked in.

You know it makes sense.... ;)

JerryXt
13-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Exactly as Jerry and the others say (potential spoof band name).

I find it's the corners where you need to be most careful, as they tend not to defrost due to lack of use and the chances of exactly following a cars track where there is less ice is less likely.

Hey - how did you know I was called Jerry! :chuckle:

Headhunter
13-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey - how did you know I was called Jerry! :chuckle:

Bloody good guess! Either that or I'm a weird stalker and know where you live. DOB. What your occupation is and what your hobbies are now.

Anyway I'm of to, err...... (Classic Simpson's episode if anyway remembers it where Homer is a stalker and sits at the table pretending he's not going out to stalk). Christ today is dragging!

kevm
13-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I agree with all of above, but watch it if your journey involves anything in the countryside, especially where overhanging trees keep the road shaded, This can sometimes result in frost being there all day. take care. Kev.

Nickj
13-12-2007, 04:55 PM
What kind of vest do you suggest Mand, you seem to be a font of useful knowledge on this topic :chuckle:

nambduke
13-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Givent he current spell of very cold weather, anyone got any advise for me riding in these conditions ?
I've done rani, plenty of rain, but none of these frosty mornings and I need to use the bike on Saturday morning for a short trip.

DON'T........

Sorry guys, been there and got the tee shirt and had one huge moment on ice which was held in spectacular style.....since then, dry winter days for a quick blast and summer evenings and days only!!

gremlin
13-12-2007, 07:52 PM
What kind of vest do you suggest Mand, you seem to be a font of useful knowledge on this topic :chuckle:

I would have thought one of those nice Damart ones which go right over the bum and keep everything nice and toasty.:biggrin: Of course you could also get the matching longjohns.

gary tompkins
13-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Fit stabilisers no probs then!

Mine has got stabilisers and it's still staying in the garage

The gritters are out again here tonight, and I didn't spend 3 months and a lot of cash building the trike to get it ruined by road salt. Got lots of jobs to do on both trike & the solo that'll keep me busy until spring anyway ;)

Chris & Nean
13-12-2007, 09:44 PM
I put Motrax muffs on mine today, my hands were a little warmer I must admit, I found myself on the bypass and opened the bike up a little, the engine immediately started over revving, ‘hey up’ I thought? wheel spin in icy conditions, not so though… the muffs had collapsed from wind blast on too the clutch lever. These Adler clutches sure have a light pull. It said in the Motrax advertising blurb on the packaging (Will NOT collapse on too hand controls) like yeeeah.

Mand
14-12-2007, 10:48 AM

Oh yes, I am full of useless crap. :D

I think he ought to go down the purple nylon vest with matching Y fronts, a bit early 70's, or do we call it "retro" now?

MilesB
14-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Carefully. :chuckle:
And you managed to miss out "Don't use the Monster!" - which is why the sensible amongst us have something a little bit more 'disposable'.

When the weather is like this, I use the 125cc twist and go scooter dosed in Scottoiler FS365 - bike stays in the garage until the sun comes out!

Mand
14-12-2007, 11:14 AM
And you managed to miss out "Don't use the Monster!" - which is why the sensible amongst us have something a little bit more 'disposable'.

When the weather is like this, I use the 125cc twist and go scooter dosed in Scottoiler FS365 - bike stays in the garage until the sun comes out!

A 125 hey? Some of us resort to using a 50cc. :chuckle:

J.P
14-12-2007, 11:17 AM
I might have to do that and buy another little bike for general transport as I've only one car and the wife uses that a fair amount. But everytime I look at a little bike, I find myself drifting over to the Big bikes !

Mand
14-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I might have to do that and buy another little bike for general transport as I've only one car and the wife uses that a fair amount. But everytime I look at a little bike, I find myself drifting over to the Big bikes !

Do you use your Monster for travelling to work?

Seb_uk
14-12-2007, 11:25 AM
A copy of the Sun stuffed down the front of your jacket helps to stop the draft. Sounds daft but it works - just about makes my 40 mile ride to work bearable in this weather.

J.P
14-12-2007, 01:21 PM
No Mand, I don't use my Monster for work, too much of a faff to get it out of and in to the back garden. Which is the same if I want to just pop to the shops if I don't have the car.

Mand
14-12-2007, 02:31 PM
No Mand, I don't use my Monster for work, too much of a faff to get it out of and in to the back garden. Which is the same if I want to just pop to the shops if I don't have the car.

Not sure why I asked that question to be honest. I had an idea of suggesting you get yourself a naff scooter (like my good self) and use it just for zipping about on. Not a faff but you will just look like a nob on it. If I can get away with it (just!) I am sure you can! :D

Anyway back to the thread, I actually used my car today and skidded the length of the cul de sac braking for a cat and then got to my destination and nearly slipped arse over tit when I got out of the car it was so icy.

My advice to you Justin, catch the bus tomorrow!

You know it makes sense. :D

MilesB
14-12-2007, 02:53 PM
A 125 hey? Some of us resort to using a 50cc. :chuckle:
You need to 'Feel the Power' :D - Indicated 60mph 2-up, and 70mph downhill - which is scary in any conditions:eek: . When I eventually wear out the 125 I may go for a 250. The scoot is my 'car' and gets abused... Financially it's already paid for itself (both capital and running costs) against the cost of going by bus, and is now saving me money :thumbsup:

Miles

Mand
14-12-2007, 03:06 PM
You need to 'Feel the Power' :D - Indicated 60mph 2-up, and 70mph downhill - which is scary in any conditions:eek: . When I eventually wear out the 125 I may go for a 250. The scoot is my 'car' and gets abused... Financially it's already paid for itself (both capital and running costs) against the cost of going by bus, and is now saving me money :thumbsup:

Miles

I can relate to that Miles. The scoot is my dad's, I doesn't cost me a penny to insure, when I had it put on my policy Ducati Insurance said it didn't make any difference to the premium, the petrol consumption is ace, I can use it for a fortnight before filling it up and then it costs me in the region of fiver.

It costs £3 return on the bus daily or if I had to park £6.60. Plus the fact it only takes me 20 minutes on the scoot zipping through the traffic, if I was in the car, it would double the time getting home.

I just get loads of ribbing from my work colleagues though - like I care!

Mand :)

J.P
14-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Hey people, lets be careful out there...
(from Hill Street Blues - for those that remember)

David Matthews
14-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Hey people, lets be careful out there...
(from Hill Street Blues - for those that remember)

One of the best television programmes ever, I've got the first two series on DVD but there's no plans to release any more.

Duncan
16-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Theres 2 kinds of ice, the black ice that you dont see and the frozen run off water thats easy enough to spot providing you arent going too quick.

In cold weather your tyres never get much heat in them and its going to feel like roding on marbles till about March.

Biggest hazard I find is this new slippery treatment the gritters are applying, with a bit of dampness on the road it goes greasy as hell. Frightened JR the other year when he was following me and I had my back wheel spinning in a straight line. I was wondering where the drive had gone, thought the chain was broke at first.

Stafford
16-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Biggest hazard I find is this new slippery treatment the gritters are applying, with a bit of dampness on the road it goes greasy as hell. Frightened JR the other year when he was following me and I had my back wheel spinning in a straight line. I was wondering where the drive had gone, thought the chain was broke at first.

Is that what it is, great, had two slides this morning under braking and nipping out of a junction. Some of the grit is in piles in places, someone should sue the council.
Bike now back in garage where it will remain as I'm a southern softie.

Chris & Nean
16-12-2007, 03:49 PM
I noticed this about the gritting this year too, its been cold of course but the suns been shining and the roads should be dry in the daytime, out in the sticks along little country lanes they are, their dry and clean but the main roads stay damp and greasy and black all day from the gritting.

David Matthews
16-12-2007, 04:54 PM
I noticed this about the gritting this year too, its been cold of course but the suns been shining and the roads should be dry in the daytime, out in the sticks along little country lanes they are, their dry and clean but the main roads stay damp and greasy and black all day from the gritting.

It's like that around our way, I went to Yeovil a couple of days last week and the roads were damp and greasy all day.

I came home on the B roads one day and they were better on the whole. Unfortunately farmers tend to drive over the verge on narrow bits, rather than wait. Mud gets spread right across the road. The bike was plastered by the time I got home.

J.P
17-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Well frost wasn't a problem on Saturday morning when I had to take the bike out, but slippery tarmac was. Luckily I wasn't doing any twisty roads but I did manage to get a lovely wheel-spin away from one set of lights when I gave it a bit too much twist-and-go.