PDA

View Full Version : I'm amazed at how much we change.

J.P
11-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Just over a year ago I wasn't even interested in bikes.
Then I bought a new 695, rode it, spent money on new exhausts, front fairing, paddock stands, clothing, interecomm's etc, etc, etc.
10 months later I swap it for an news S4R and another wadge of cash.
More bling, more exhausts, more stands and more clothing for the winter.

Every single day I'm looking to see what else I could add/change/drool over to make the bike more special and thus more unique, and every day I see plenty of you lot doing exactly the same thing.

Peope don't do that to their cars by the same degree, I met a fair few members now at most of them are level headed people not some oik with a sooped up Peugeot 109.
So what is it about being a bike owner that makes you want to change so much, so often ? :thumbsup:

Headhunter
11-12-2007, 02:37 PM
I met a fair few members now at most of them are level headed people not some oik with a sooped up Peugeot 109.

You clearly haven't met Nonnie yet. She's a lovely lady really.

I know what you mean though. I'm tempted to upgrade but my 620 does what I need, so no need to part with the money.

The temptation to always do something/add new stuff to it is too strong though. Just have to keep reminding myself - do I really need to bother.

spm23
11-12-2007, 02:46 PM
So what is it about being a bike owner that makes you want to change so much, so often ? :thumbsup:

Attention seeking! Double so because you own a Ducati. :thumbsup:

LouSCannon
11-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Hmmm not so sure about that about cars... I was in the Ford ST Owners Club few years back (Back when I wasn't doing 30,000 miles a year). I had a ST220 at the time and the club was very much like this one, people constantly tweaking their cars, shipping stuff from across the globe and attempting things themselves (A supercharged ST170 was pretty impressive).

It's people who go out and find the owners clubs. There's plenty of bikers out there who don't both doing anything to their bikes, but those people who go out to find a group of like minded people probably intend to take that one step further in to their interest.

Nonnie
11-12-2007, 02:51 PM
You clearly haven't met Nonnie yet. She's a lovely lady really.

huh?

Explain yourself immediately!

J.P
11-12-2007, 02:54 PM
huh?

"Light blue touch paper and stand well back" :spin:

J.P
11-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Even my own theread has got me thinking about more bits.
I want a quickshifter.
I want a slipper clutch.
I want a red front mud guard.

I NEED none of the above, but it doesn't stop me thinking about them.

JerryXt
11-12-2007, 03:07 PM
you need a slipper clutch!

J.P
11-12-2007, 03:09 PM
you need a slipper clutch!

No I don't, I've figured out how to change down properly.
well, almost.

Nonnie
11-12-2007, 03:17 PM
"Light blue touch paper and stand well back" :spin:

what what what?

I tell ye I am most perplexed now.
what what.

Rusty35
11-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Talking on lovely kit and stuff, I dont know if you guys know the "Grand Prix Legends" website/store.

I have just spotted an amazing Leather jacket on the site, Honda GAS Deablo, they also have some great old Belstaff numbers.

Stuff lke this does get me excited, sad really I guess but I dont care. Those jackets were made for the Dukes...Well maybe not honda but you dont want to look like a flying advert

Rusty35
11-12-2007, 03:26 PM
JP I think your obsession is natural...Were you a Star Wars man?

I am only 35 so I asmit to having the whole lot of s_it back in the day, sold it to a dealer in the end. I remember having my last battle, then I realised that I did not want to play with toys any more, age 7, cried out of sadness

Then it all went pete tong.....

J.P
11-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Was never a big collector of Star Wars stuff that I can remeber but that's the point isn't it at 7 ? you're not a collector you're a kid wanting to play.

I'll have a look at the Grand Prix Legends right now !!

Gilps
11-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I've heard bad things about GP Legends, long delivery times, stuff not in stock etc. May even have been on here, possibly Natty moaning again.;) Might be worth a search b4 parting with cash.

Rusty35
11-12-2007, 04:25 PM
cheer's Gilps, was going to o dow there, they have a warehouse. I dont like buying clothes online unless its pants (always extra large) LOL...

No seriously I am a funny shape so I lke to go down there, part of the buzz.

Rusty35
11-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Sorry about that spelling, best use the spell check and check my mails first. Its been a long day! the old mince pies aint what they used to be

Saint aka ML
11-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Bling is an addiction. I know couple of bikers who did nothing to heir bikes for like a year, then had this light I need a sport exhaust. Explaining to them self that they will be safer as people will hear them just like they hear me.
Good rational excuse?! :chuckle: Second year in to ownership and bought of them look like a live advert of CF. :thumbsup:

I am like a child, like new things but do not like to part with old items because as soon as you do you want to play with them. :hissy: Logical connection, you upgrade your current toy.
Keep the old one and make it look like new one.

sadbiker
11-12-2007, 05:11 PM
I don't change that often....

Had my last bike 4 years and was going to keep it as second till it met its maker. The bike before that again 4 years but was getting bored of this one. The one before that had for 2 years, and similar for the other bikes I had all the way back to 87.

But on the bling front I only buy if it is to improve on the original. As for the monster it has to have a Carbon Belly Pan, decent cans and thats all I have done with this one. My Hornet did have Ohlins on the rear and front forks were internally upgraded which did sort out its handling, I also junked the Honda Cow horns for Renthals. Thankfully my monster so far seems ok and at moment its pointless touching the suspension until I can handle it.

Nim
11-12-2007, 05:36 PM
You know what....it is a little weird this whole bike obession thing...i got back from cartagena 2 days ago and im still thinking about bikes every second of the day and night. im actually choosing not to sleep cos its more fun to go over the track in my head and just think about what bikes i want. hmmmm....maybe i shouldnt have put this on a forum.....oh well, i will anyways :)

gremlin
11-12-2007, 09:11 PM
I've gone from Triumph Sports Six Club and my TF replica to pillion to having my own bike in the last five years. I wish I'd found bikes years ago I've missed out on so many experiences.

Headhunter
11-12-2007, 11:27 PM
huh?

I'm too bl**dy inebriated to do so. Christmas party on a Tuesday night. What the fook is that all about! Hence why I'm back now,,,,ahh feck it.

Big kiss Nonnie.