PDA

View Full Version : oil pooling behind rear cylinder

nbatty3
09-12-2007, 05:02 PM
as the title says has any body else encountered this?
any ideas about what i could be?
it's not a major leak but still a concern!!

i'm expecting it to be a gasket of sorts!

thanks

JerryXt
09-12-2007, 05:44 PM
I've got this on my 748. It's supposed to be a bad gasket that seals the head to the crank cases, or an oilway that just leaks oil to the outside. It's not a big deal unless it's loosing a lot of oil.

Rogerg
09-12-2007, 05:53 PM
My 02 S4 had this problem - it started off as a little leak, but steadily got worse so eventually I put in into the shop to have the gasket replaced.

Wasn't cheap as you've got to drop the whole engine out to get at it.

The Kevlar Kid
09-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Yup.. it's the barrel to crankcase seal and / or o-ring.

Not sure if the S4 is that different, but you definately don't have to drop the engine out of a 900ie to do it, can't see why the S4 would be that much different.

If you're reasonably handy it's a job you can do yourself (best to do the belt change whilst your at it as these will need to come off), the gasket kit is about 40 quid from memory, plus another 15 for a tube of sealant to make sure it doesn't occur again :freak: .

Bodybag
09-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Seat off, tank off, belts off, head off. Change the gasket/sealant and reverse the process. It should be about two or three hours work if you have all the right equipment and knowledge.

Altogether now... "They all do that sir"!! :D

Nickj
10-12-2007, 08:19 AM
I don't think it's uncommon, got the same on mine which I think was 'done' before earlier in its life.
Isn't very much oil and as the engines not using much to start with I'm ignoring it for the moment. Something to do next year though.
Having a good nose around the bike it looks like there is enough clearance to get the head and barrel off without dropping the engine.

Nickj
10-12-2007, 08:21 AM
I think (???):
Some of the earlier models had naff studs that stretched, later it was the base gasket and a revised internal oilway to the head that caused the problem.

The Kevlar Kid
10-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Altogether now... "They all do that sir"!! :D

They certainly do... it's a feature apparently :p :twak:

jerry
10-12-2007, 02:51 PM
I did it to my S4 but u have to block the unused oilway as well , other wise it will leak again ,somew peoiple blick the oilway withs rammed in BB I used a machine screw ,tap and stud lock.

nbatty3
10-12-2007, 08:24 PM
cheers fella's!!!
my mind is at rest and i will tackle the gaskets before next track season!! fantastic!!
i'll try engine in to start!
belts would be a good idea too! nice one!!

lcjohnny
15-10-2008, 11:20 PM
I reckon engine out !

even removing the tensioner bolts through/past the frame tubes sends you to the world of bodge.

Then making sure you get the gudgeon pin circlip in securely past the frame tubes without smearing the special (and very good) gasket goo and making the whole job pointless........:cry:

I know that taking the engine out requires a frame hoist and an engine lift- but then it only takes 50 min

Jon

Diego
16-10-2008, 08:54 AM
smells like base gasket leak

NewMon
16-10-2008, 12:39 PM
This happened to my M600 this year (both cylinders). Ducati dealer sorted it - the replacement O ring is 50p but labour is 2-3 hours :-(

Nickj
16-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Used work on my VFR in frame as much as possible, the clearances on the Monnie are luxurious in comaprison.

retskcid
16-10-2008, 06:09 PM
I've got the same leak on my S4, I'm just monitoring it as its not major at the moment. I believe on the S4 it is an oilway that causes it as others have mentioned and it requires a mod to fix.

jerry
16-10-2008, 08:01 PM
I've got the same leak on my S4, I'm just monitoring it as its not major at the moment. I believe on the S4 it is an oilway that causes it as others have mentioned and it requires a mod to fix.

PM me if you need advice , its not too difficult but rear cylinder has to be removed = new head gssket and the oil way has to be blocked I used a sunken machine screw and studlock.

animaluk
16-10-2008, 10:53 PM
known problem on the S4's both the monnies and the st's was beacuse ducati did'nt use the right sealent, i know i just put mine in to have this problem fixed as it will get worse

retskcid
17-10-2008, 06:07 AM
PM me if you need advice , its not too difficult but rear cylinder has to be removed = new head gssket and the oil way has to be blocked I used a sunken machine screw and studlock.

Cheers Jerry, I may tackle it early next year then if you think its a DIYable job - anything to save a few squid at the mo! Is it easy with the engine in?

I'll come back to you.

Rich

jerry
21-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Cheers Jerry, I may tackle it early next year then if you think its a DIYable job - anything to save a few squid at the mo! Is it easy with the engine in?

I'll come back to you.

Rich

I did it with the engine in .....but then i 'm a pervert.