PDA

View Full Version : New Pipes

kevm
09-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Hi all, I have just fitted a pair of Ducati Performance carbon cans to my M900ie Monster and am concerned wether its running correctly. I of course don't want it to be running weak, so apart from checking plug colours etc. Can I get someone to check how its burning or something? Strangely, it feels like there is more vibration than before!? Any ideas? ta. Kev

Zimbo
09-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Simply take it to your local dyno centre. £20 - £30 for a full dyno run and you'll know exactly how it's fuelling at all throttle positions and RPM, plus have power and torque values for the bike. Not expensive for total peace of mind I'd say.

MIKE SANDERSON
09-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi Kev I put some DP carbon cans on an M750 (2003) and did'nt alter a thing, just ran it and it was sweet as a nut. I did'nt notice any additional vib's though and it did seem to go a tad better, the sound was awsome. I did'nt know you could get a dyno test for around £20 - £30 quid though. Sounds like a good idea of Zimbos to me.

David Matthews
09-12-2007, 07:06 PM
I put Termis on mine, haven't taken the catalytic converter off yet. It seems more powerful, especially at low revs and sounds good. I'm hoping to have the cat. taken off at the next service. I was a bit worried about the dire warnings about needing to remap the engine but had the original silencers in the rucksack on my way home in case of any bother. Rosso Corse were helpful in advising me that at worst it may run a bit rough but wouldn't cause any damage to the bike.

Does anyone know if Moto Rapido at Winchester have use of a dyno?

gary tompkins
09-12-2007, 07:41 PM
My 900ie ran a bit rich at low rpm when I fitted high level Sil's, but not enough to bother with fine tuning. However if you fit a free flow filter (like a K&N) too, you may need to fit a power commander or race ECU to correct mixture.

I fitted a DP performance ECU/Filter and cans to the solo, and it ran ok after a bit of fettling on tickover setting. However the same combo on the trike led to chronic over fuelling and it ran like a pig. In the end i reverted to standard set-up for hassle free running.

Nickj
10-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Got some high level arrows badged as NFR race pipes, mix is still slightly rich if anything, very slight engine pick up when throttles reduced. K&N is in today when postie turns up. I might organise a dyno run if it doesn't feel happy.
Plus a little crank breather filter (K&N part no 62-1330) to hopefully clean up the oil emulsification problem.

kevm
10-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Once again thanks all. Knew I could get the right advice here. Think I will slot in a K&N and then book the dyno run and check all sound. Talking of sound, its awesome!!! Kev

scrumpster
10-12-2007, 07:35 PM
My termis certainly make mine rattle at high revs but when she's out on the road it's fine, although I still haven't got the baffles out. We'll have to get up the hill Kev and compare!

Nickj
10-12-2007, 07:45 PM
K&N seems OK, but then it's a cold day here (2-3 C) but the injection system should compensate for that. Maybe a little nippier and slightly cleaner on the throttle but thats a bit subjective.
Oh when I took off the crank breather pipework and boxes there was a fair bit of water in it, so not totally surprising we get white scudge in the motors.