PDA

View Full Version : S2r

GULLY
07-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi Guys
I am looking at a S2R on Sunday - plate O6. Does anyone know if there is anything I should be looking out for i.e. any known regular faults or design problems.

Also, the bike has had its first service - does anyone know at what mileage the second service should be done?

All tips and advice are very welcome.

thanks
Gully

neilbaldry
07-12-2007, 09:16 PM
i found mine very user friendly. light clutch action and smooth motor make for a fairly effortless and air cooled ride. i havent really found any faults with mine. but one thing, lift the seat off and check where the seat touches the tank as the staples tend to scratch the paint off, so i'd reccomend getting them taped up or something first. you'll see a couple of white wear marks, but that might be a generic monster fault, im not sure.

dont worry about the exhaust pipes touching your right heel, they dont get in my way, and i dont notice them.

singletrack
07-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Hi Guys
I am looking at a S2R on Sunday - plate O6. Does anyone know if there is anything I should be looking out for i.e. any known regular faults or design problems.

Also, the bike has had its first service - does anyone know at what mileage the second service should be done?

All tips and advice are very welcome.

thanks
Gully
Ooh that's exciting. I hope it's what you want Gully.

An 06 bike will still be under warranty, so make sure it has had the services done at proper intervals.
600 mile 1st service 2nd service should be within 12 months of 1st purchase, but I can't remember the mileage ( it's different on my 07 model).
I'm not aware of any faults etc with them, but be aware that when cold it can jump when you put it into first gear, even with the clutch in, so hold the brake.
Fingers crossed it is OK.

neilbaldry
07-12-2007, 09:42 PM
2nd service should be within 12 months of 1st purchase, but I can't remember the mileage ( it's different on my 07 model).

6000 miles

ooooh! i forgot to ask the most important question, what colour is it Gully me lad?!

GULLY
07-12-2007, 09:50 PM
6000 miles

ooooh! i forgot to ask the most important question, what colour is it Gully me lad?!

there is only one colour. red with white strip

GULLY
07-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Ooh that's exciting. I hope it's what you want Gully.

An 06 bike will still be under warranty, so make sure it has had the services done at proper intervals.
600 mile 1st service 2nd service should be within 12 months of 1st purchase, but I can't remember the mileage ( it's different on my 07 model).
I'm not aware of any faults etc with them, but be aware that when cold it can jump when you put it into first gear, even with the clutch in, so hold the brake.
Fingers crossed it is OK.

Hi
I am not gettting my hopes up yet
The bike is on a 06 but only had 1st sev it got less them 2000 miles on it.

neilbaldry
07-12-2007, 10:07 PM
there is only one colour. red with white strip

Hell Yes.

you looking at a private sale?

GULLY
07-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Hell Yes.

you looking at a private sale?

no bike shop.

Humbucker
07-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Best of luck Gully, try to get a test ride in if you can and try different types of road, fast stretches and twisties to try and get a complete feel for it.

Hope it's what you been looking for.

neilbaldry
07-12-2007, 10:21 PM
no bike shop.

would trying to bargain into the sale the 12 month/ 6000 mile service be too cheeky for yer? after all, you can only ask!

GULLY
07-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Best of luck Gully, try to get a test ride in if you can and try different types of road, fast stretches and twisties to try and get a complete feel for it.

Hope it's what you been looking for.

Hi matey
No ride on Buy.

Humbucker
07-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Might be best to get a view of the others on the No ride on buy policy. I have 6 bikes all second hand except the monnie and have ridden all before purchase, so how common this policy is i dont know.

I wouldn't buy a bike i hadn't ridden personally

GULLY
07-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Might be best to get a view of the others on the No ride on buy policy. I have 6 bikes all second hand except the monnie and have ridden all before purchase, so how common this policy is i dont know.

if i can not ride it.
i am not buying it.

Lucati
07-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Why's it for sale after 2k miles? Is it ex-demo? Definately wouldn't buy without a ride as the mileage is questionable for a trade in....

damon
08-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Why's it for sale after 2k miles? Is it ex-demo? Definately wouldn't buy without a ride as the mileage is questionable for a trade in....

i wouldnt worry about the mileage too much, my s2r has been loved, polished, serviced and cleaned since day one and its only just done 2000 miles on an 05 plate, simply havnt had as much time on the road as i'd of liked, but jeff at g-tec performance in leicester tells me that its gonna get better at 4000 miles when the engine wears in proper so thats something to look forward to:thumbsup:

however dont buy it until you've had a ride on it cos thats just stupid, if they want a deposit then give it them but if they play hard ball and say no test rides then sod em, they'll only be doing it to pressure sell the bike and frankly i'd say no ride no deal, end of:twak:

Some ducati dealers are abit crap if im honest, its as though they expect sales purely on the name and the fact people fall in love with them.(some are really top notch though)

Whatever you decide to do and you end up with a red n white stripe one then give me a shout as i have a few bits n bobs that can bling it up just a tad if theres bits your not happy with, christ ive got 3 different mudgaurds for gods sake,,,,,,,,,,honestly you'll love every minute of it, and its down hill from here on in on spending,,,,,, markus and neil are good examples of that :)

good luck bud, stick to ur guns with the test ride!

Gilps
08-12-2007, 03:16 AM
Early ones had white wheels, later ones had black. It's a preference thing but make sure you get the one you like. Personally I didn't like the white wheels.

barbican
08-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Agree with Damon - Sold mine with 1500miles on it because I loved the RS, and hadn't had time to add many miles to the S2r - Tell them your a serious buyer and if they are serious about selling it..............

scrumpster
08-12-2007, 11:31 AM

I did, but then I knew I'd love it after the M600 in fact I never saw mine until I turned up to collect it but it was a brand new one. I never rode my M600, thinking about it, my ex partner did on my behalf. Guess I've been lucky!! :chuckle:

I could have had a red and white one but didn't like the white wheels, it's hard enough keeping black wheels clean. Oh and I did my 6k mileage in 5 months and that should show how much I love my S2R :mand:

gary tompkins
08-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Good luck on Sunday - which dealer is the bike at?

Did you decide to sell the 600 first or go for part ex?

Gadget
08-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Well done that man.
When you have the bike you want, you need to talk to Debs about track days.:mand:

Chris & Nean
08-12-2007, 01:13 PM
I like white wheels, they look great and mean there’s always an excuse to give the bike a wash.

GULLY
08-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Good luck on Sunday - which dealer is the bike at?

Did you decide to sell the 600 first or go for part ex?

Hi Gary
I spock about part-ex to him and he was not in the market for no more bike at this time of year.
so i must sell her.A.S.A.P or Debbies will kill me.

the bike is at mcb tradebikes. in kent

so if all is good on sunday, She is up for sale at £1'500 all in.

gully

alan c
08-12-2007, 02:46 PM
good luck mate, hope you like bike, i will be on lookout for something soon, thinking of getting scooter for work as well.:biggrin:

neilbaldry
08-12-2007, 03:16 PM
its down hill from here on in on spending,,,,,, markus and neil are good examples of that :)

Amen to that

GULLY
08-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Well done that man.
When you have the bike you want, you need to talk to Debs about track days.:mand:

TRACK DAY:eek:
I think one steep at a time,the manganement would no be happy about that.

gully

neilbaldry
10-12-2007, 06:16 PM
So Gully, how'd it go on sunday mate?

Humbucker
10-12-2007, 06:36 PM
So Gully, how'd it go on sunday mate?

I'd imagine after the weather we had down here he is still none the wiser.

Come on Gully give us some news :D

Albie
10-12-2007, 06:44 PM
No red key :cry: :cry: :cry: :mad:

Humbucker
10-12-2007, 06:51 PM
oh well, his hunt continues:dizzy:

JerryXt
10-12-2007, 07:41 PM
b*gger, bad news. Keep looking and don't worry about private sales - both mine were bought direct from the owners and I got amazing deals. Do all the usual checks and an HPI and if it looks ok there, it probably is. There's one HPI provider and all the companies offering it use them. They all offer fraud insurance so you'll be covered if it turns out to be dodgy. Trust your feelings and if it looks like someones pride and joy, check it and you'll probably be getting a good deal. If it feels bad in any way, walk.

I didn't get to ride the Rs before I bought it and it's a blinder, but then it looked like it had done the miles the owner told me and no sign of damage, so not likely to have been dropped.

The R was bought sight unseen on ebay. Didn't see it until it turned up at Katos place. Actually a couple of days after. That's a stunner too.

gary tompkins
10-12-2007, 08:16 PM
As Albie said the bike was minus it's red key, and the guy selling was a bit vague. Made a few enquiries with Ducati UK but didn't hear anything that filled him with confidence, so decided to walk away. There were other factors like the fact it needed a full service, and the remainder of the warentee was void due to 12month interval being missed - Arse :thumbsdown:

We thought it was a bit fishy - 06 bike, mint condition & only 2300 miles up for £3.5K :look: That's at least a grand below book price!

Oh well

GULLY
10-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Hi Guys,
Sorry for not getting back sooner - went down the pub to drown my sorrows.

Went down with GT and we both agreed it was the bargain on the year. It was absolutely mint. I was just going to seal the deal when I asked about extra keys (i.e. the red one in particular). Was told that this had been lost but a new one would only cost around £10.00. After some cautious thoughts I decided to hold fire until I could get confirmation on one or two things. After speaking to Ducati today the warranty on the bike has now expired because of the bike not being serviced and also they confirmed, as I had suspected, that in order to get a new red key I would need to fork out a huge amount of money as I would need to replace quite a few bits and pieces on the bike.

Not such a bargain after all - I spoke to the guy today about the bike and mentioned how much the red key would cost to replace and the guy got very unpleasant on the other end of the phone and slammed the phone down on me saying that I had wasted his time. I think it was the other way around, it was me and GT who had to travel down to see the bike not being told the whole truth by some dodgy bike dealer.

The hunt still continues but will probably now wait until after Christmas unless another so called bargain appears in the meantime but as we all know there is no such thing as a real bargain - there always seems a catch.

Thanks to GT for coming down with me - his wisdom stopped me from spending a lot of money with possibly more money having to be thrown at the bike in the future when something major went wrong (all because of a lost little key).

A very gutted Gully

David Matthews
10-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Sorry to hear it. Very disappointing when you're looking forward to a new bike and it doesn't happen.

GULLY
10-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Sorry to hear it. Very disappointing when you're looking forward to a new bike and it doesn't happen.

well gutted:(

Albie
10-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Its very much a gamble as I said. Im glad you made what could be the right decision. A very hard thing to walk away from nice bikes that really are NICE. Its like having an insurance or not as in the red key.

Keep looking mate
Gutted for you mate
Andy

Gadget
10-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Better luck next time mate. Best wait till the right bike comes along.

Humbucker
11-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Oh Well mate, as they say, as one door shuts another opens so hopefully you'll find something even better.

Still gutted for you

See you soon

J.P
11-12-2007, 09:16 AM
I have 6 bikes

And you're still not happy ! :mand:

J.P
11-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Sorry about that Gully.
But there must be other bikes out there for you, just waiting to be found. Unfortunately, it's you that has to do all the finding.
Hope you find one soon.

JerryXt
11-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Gully, I just had a scout around for S2Rs. The 800s are really expensive compared to other bikes and I couldn't find many 1000s at all.

It might be worth looking at the S4R. It's better value and was always top of the range for the year, so it's got quality bits all over - no budget stuff.

I know it's got a rad and servicing is a little more expensive, but for the money, it's a better bike.

Clearly, as always, go with what you want. Just my 2p.

Stafford
11-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Well you could go for an S4, like the one I'm selling or dare I say Natty's shiny S4R

neilbaldry
11-12-2007, 11:20 AM
eugh!!!!!!!

TOO MUCH PIPING!!!!!!!

Gully, you knows you gots ta keep it aircooled!

Humbucker
11-12-2007, 11:23 AM
And you're still not happy ! :mand:

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: Sorry should have read, i have had 6 bikes:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

MilesB
11-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Bummer on the duff deal, but as you found out - no red key, no deal.

Keep on looking - this time of year you can get good deals on buying bikes.

Miles

GULLY
11-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Gully, I just had a scout around for S2Rs. The 800s are really expensive compared to other bikes and I couldn't find many 1000s at all.

It might be worth looking at the S4R. It's better value and was always top of the range for the year, so it's got quality bits all over - no budget stuff.

I know it's got a rad and servicing is a little more expensive, but for the money, it's a better bike.

Clearly, as always, go with what you want. Just my 2p.

Hi JerryXt
I would love a s4r but the runing cost is to hi for me.
90 miles to a tank and £400+rockers each service.

champayen taste on lemonade pockets:o

gully

GULLY
11-12-2007, 08:59 PM
eugh!!!!!!!

TOO MUCH PIPING!!!!!!!

Gully, you knows you gots ta keep it aircooled!

Aircooled and only aircooled for me at this time.

JerryXt
11-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Fair enough Gully. I know the quattros can seem a bit steep to keep running perfectly, but rockers at each service???? I think you're confusing the S4R with the 748R :chuckle:

And Neil, I'm disappointed in you - your taste is usually spot on :D

neilbaldry
11-12-2007, 10:14 PM
you knows im not a purist like that Jerry! i would bite the hand off anyone who offered me an S4R, or the S4Rs, but alas im in the same budget group as Gully, and cant really afford the servicing cost and insurance associated with those bigger, meaner, faster liquid cooled beasties.

JerryXt
12-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Neil, good things come to those who wait :D

Some of us Rs owners may be old farts, but we can afford the insurance :chuckle: A lot of it is ncb, but my insurance for 3 bikes (2 1000cc and the baby R) costs less than some people pay for one 4 valve bike.

You're right tho, it can cost a lot to run these things compared to the 2 valve motors, but people here do run them on a tight budget successfully.

GULLY
29-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi Guys
By the "for sale parts", some of you may have worked out that I am selling the old girl and getting my pin up girl, Rosie - a Ducati Monster S2R in red and white on an 06 plate. Very clean and loads of extras as well. Picking her up on 12th January and cannot wait.

Cheers
Gully

David Matthews
29-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Glad you fund one in the end, well done.

barbican
29-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Glad to hear youve got one - the 12th isn't far off so post up some pics when youve got home

GULLY
29-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Glad to hear youve got one - the 12th isn't far off so post up some pics when youve got home

you bet i will.

gully:tgoe:

gary tompkins
30-12-2007, 12:00 AM
I thought you were keeping it a secret? ;)

GULLY
30-12-2007, 08:47 AM
I thought you were keeping it a secret? ;)

Hi Gary
the for sale bits gives it a way a bit.
and i am getting very :freak: about it, and it,s like a dream can so one pinch.

scrapps
30-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Glad you found the bike you wanted matey...hope to see you out n about in the new year.:yoparty: :yoparty:

Albie
30-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi Guys
By the "for sale parts", some of you may have worked out that I am selling the old girl and getting my pin up girl, Rosie - a Ducati Monster S2R in red and white on an 06 plate. Very clean and loads of extras as well. Picking her up on 12th January and cannot wait.

Cheers
Gully

Fuc**ng HellROSIE
Where did you pull that name from