PDA

View Full Version : Honda monnie look alike

Chris & Nean
05-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Does anyone know anything about the Honda VTR 250 ? it looks just like a monster, there’s one on ebay now for 1200 quid it’s a grey import apparently as these bikes were never imported to the UK, I was thinking of getting it for Nean to learn on, it does look way cool and Nean liked it’s looks much more than the MZ ETZ I was trying to source for her before, any thoughts on maintaining a bike like this when theres no official spare parts backup for the model. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-VTR250_W0QQitemZ170175923282QQihZ007QQcategoryZ980 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jerry
06-12-2007, 02:39 AM
It is a great bike , small , pretty, reliable and within its limits performs well.

slob
06-12-2007, 05:54 AM
JamesH has one, he loves it.

Kiwi
06-12-2007, 06:13 AM
Does anyone know anything about the Honda VTR 250 ? it looks just like a monster, there’s one on ebay now for 1200 quid [/url]

there are monsters on flea bay for that sort of money, it would be better tio restrict one of these down to 33 hp

slob
06-12-2007, 06:30 AM
there are monsters on flea bay for that sort of money, it would be better tio restrict one of these down to 33 hp

Except the VTR is smaller and lighter

singletrack
06-12-2007, 07:34 AM
It looks good - but remember she can't ride it until she has passed her test.
Were you looking for something to ride with L plates and a CBT or as a first bike after passing? If the latter it looks ideal.

Thumper
06-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Ahhhh the ickle VTR 250, my second bike.

Back in 2001 I learnt to do my first burnout :thumbsup:

http://www.thumperzone.co.uk/vids/VTR.avi

Info wise, theyre quite tall for a little bike, I am 5ft 8 and as you can see in my video its a tall bike for a small one. They top out around 70mph flat out but theyre great. Like the Monsters the steering lock is poor, turning circle of a football pitch. But the best thing is on 1 tank Id get about 150 miles. Very economical.

Anymore info needed just ask.

By the way mine was new in 2001 and cost me £2,895.

Chris & Nean
06-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Yeah it does look a smashing bike and a new one for under 3 grand seems excellent value. But just what do learners ride if not something like this 250?

MilesB
06-12-2007, 12:13 PM
But just what do learners ride if not something like this 250?
If you're on 'L' Plates it's a 125cc... If passed with a restricted licence (max 33bhp), them I'm afraid their ain't much new. Probably one of the main reasons why people do direct access - there's no point in going for the A1 licence if there is nothing you want to ride available.

From what I've seen of the VTR 250 it's a little gem. Hyosung do 250cc V-twins too, including a fully faired version.
http://www.hyosung.co.uk/detail.php?id=9
http://www.hyosung.co.uk/detail.php?id=6

singletrack
06-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Yeah it does look a smashing bike and a new one for under 3 grand seems excellent value. But just what do learners ride if not something like this 250?

Learners can only ride a 125cc bike or lower - there are further requirements about bhp as well. I haven't got time to find it now, but there are details on the direct.gov website.

David Matthews
06-12-2007, 12:27 PM

After you've passed the CBT I believe you are resticted to a 125 on a Provisional Licence. After passing on a 125 the limit is 33bhp for two years after which it is legal to ride a bike of unlimied power.

If you take the Direct Access course you can ride any bike once you have passed. Most instructors provide bikes for DA, usually something like a Suzuki GS 500. My daughter and her friends didn't find the Suzukis too heavy.

Chris & Nean
06-12-2007, 04:33 PM
I read it on the government website, ‘restricted to a 125’ these things are dangerous low powered bikes that you creep along on in the gutter, what a horrid thing to do to anyone new to powered two wheeled transport.

Scotty
06-12-2007, 05:15 PM
I read it on the government website, ‘restricted to a 125’ these things are dangerous low powered bikes that you creep along on in the gutter, what a horrid thing to do to anyone new to powered two wheeled transport.

not implying that your reet old like (honest), but have you had a go on a modern 125 ?(technology has progressed and the majority will easily do 60 -70 mph)
I remember when I did us CBT and one bloke had neglected to apply for a motorbike learner licence so had to do the CBT on a 50 cc scooter around Sheffield now that was crawling along in the gutter up the hills

Chris & Nean
06-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Their only allowed 14.6 HP Scotty, this isn’t very much and I know sporty 125's have lots more power. My learner bike was a C90 and yes I am knokin on a bit (like a good few more peeps here ;p ) my learner bike had performance almost comparable to the average car, these 14.6 restricted bikes maybe have a bit more but personally I wouldn’t dare ride one in traffic like we have nowadays.

DavidEJM
06-12-2007, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't mind my old 125LC. I suspect it was slightly more powerful than the allowed, at that time, 12bhp but even the standard ones would break 80 on the clock.

Mind you I was a lot lighter then and they were running on proper 4star fuel! These days I don't suppose it would feel so quick.

gremlin
06-12-2007, 07:54 PM
I had a Honda CM 125 custom type thingy which was really low 750mm ish seat height. She was reasonable speed wise, 75 with a tail wind but she did get a bit light at the front and it wheelied (only little ones though). I couldn't do DAS because none of the schools had a low enough bike but the Monnie is easy to restrict and to be honest at the mo I'm not too worried about hooleying. Most 125s were a tad tall for me. The lads at our local cafe had Aprillias and dirt bikes Yam DTs etc and they all rated them so I guess there is quite a bit of choice. The one thing against going from my 125 to the Monnie is the total change of riding position which is taking a bit of getting used to. The little VTR would be closer to Monnie style but what's the point in restricting a 250 when you could have a Monnie done or do DAS.

JamesH
06-12-2007, 09:20 PM
As Slob has mentioned I have one of the aformentioned mini-monster.

Come say hello at www.vtr250.co.uk/board where I am known as Jaimo (have had the name for years, but couldn't use it here for obvious reasons).

The bike is great, cheap to run, does the ton (on a private road officer) and i've not had any trouble hanging onto the back of 600 monsters. Mine lives in my mothers garage throughout the winter while i'm at uni and works perfectly whenever I want to use it.

The one on ebay looks tidy enough and £1200 is a fair price. Have a look at the front of the engine for paint flakage and give it a good hard rev if you get to look at it 'cos Honda 250 love to be revved hard and a lot of the imported ones are not. Only other thing is to do the general 'dropped' checks being a learner bike and all. PM me if you want to know anything else :)

James

JamesH
06-12-2007, 09:25 PM
They top out around 70mph flat out but theyre great. Like the Monsters the steering lock is poor, turning circle of a football pitch. But the best thing is on 1 tank Id get about 150 miles. Very economical.

Just noticed this, lol.

I get 250km from a tank which costs at most £12 to fill, the turning circle is better than that of me old mans monster, and I can get 85mph out of it with tent, panniers and tail pack on, 90 normally and 100 with a tail wind, lol. (All GPS varified)

Chris & Nean
07-12-2007, 02:28 AM
Imagine threaping one of these little Hondas mercilessly trying to keep up with your mates on big bikes. That would be a challenge and highly satisfying too if you managed it. But poor Neans back to the MZ prospect now it seems, only this time a poxy 125 lol.

Thumper
07-12-2007, 07:25 AM
100mph out of a VTR250, blimey I bet your engines screaming at that sort of speed.

Perhaps if I had ran it to the limiter in every gear I mightve got more than 70mph from it but hey I dont treat my bikes like that so 70mph was what I got, hey ho its the national speed limit so why need anymore!

Everyones bikes are different. My M600 topped out at 91mph (recorded at santa pod), a lot of people can get more than that from the same bike. Every bike varies and the rider varies too, you'll always get different facts and figures so its good to have different views from 2 owners.