PDA

View Full Version : decisions decisions - help wanted, ktm or duc??

markus
04-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Right then boys and girls,

Chances are I'm moving house in the near future and if so there may be some extra taken on the mortgage for either a KTM RC8 or an 848 (in white)......sooooooo which would you choose and why....

I've had both KTM's and Duc's so there's no bias on my part and i love them both, so before the test rides start your thoughts please.

gremlin
04-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Why not go the whole hog and get a 1098? It's one of the most lusted after bikes of the year.

Gilps
04-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Right then boys and girls,

Chances are I'm moving house in the near future and if so there may be some extra taken on the mortgage for either a KTM RC8 or an 848 (in white)......sooooooo which would you choose and why....

I've had both KTM's and Duc's so there's no bias on my part and i love them both, so before the test rides start your thoughts please.

KTM for me. The 848 is a budget 1098. The finish on the KTM looked excellent at the NEC. When you see the 848 next to the 1098 you can see small details where they have cut corners, like the calipers and the front mudguard.
But personally I'd have a later 999S over those two.

JerryXt
04-12-2007, 06:31 PM
interesting discusion. I've just bought myself a KTM 950 SM amd I'm really impressed. It's a quality bit of kit with a comprehensive tool kit, proper instruction manual complete with suspension settings and two manuals that show every part on the bike and where it all goes.

Parts and servicing are half the price of ducati.

I've bought it as a good workhorse for commuting and fun transport. The Ducatis are for serious fun.

Would I buy a KTM as a special bike? Probably not. Mine is a great bike, but it's solid, dependable transport. A bit like my Audi - does everything very well and you'd take it on continental trips, but for fun, you'd buy an old 911. Or a new one if you could swing it with the wife :D

Thumper
04-12-2007, 06:39 PM
I'd personally go for the KTM, not keen on the 848 at all. The RC8 is proper Mad Max Futuristic bike, it looks how concept bikes start out, none of the rough edges have been smoothed out and thats why I like it, its raw and edgy and more than likely will have an awesome motor inside.

Apparently if you want one you've gotta get the order in fast as they're expected to sell out of the showrooms within minutes.

Nickj
04-12-2007, 06:46 PM
The RC8 does look very cool

neilbaldry
04-12-2007, 06:49 PM
to be honest, i'd be no help in deciding. tho if i were to get an 848 in white, i'd have prefered a red frame. but i would also look at what else 848/rc8 money would get me...... 996SPS, 998S, 999S, 'Prilla RSV-R Factory, you could even keep your S2R and get a supermoto, or maybe even stretch to an F4 750?

but if you need any more shoving in the right direction...........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdWh2gCV5x8

markus
05-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Ha ha - none of you are helping this decision for me!!! HA HA
I've done the whole supermoto thing already with my bitchin' KTM, but after a sports bike I think at the mo.......allthough you do now have me thinking of buying an older RSV now and keeping the monster - ahhhhhhhhh like i need more options!

JerryXt
05-12-2007, 08:46 AM
get a nice 998 testa or a 999s. Fantastic bikes. The engine on the RC8 is proven but you'd be buying the first production run and that's never a good plan.

Thumper
05-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Markus I thought you were keeping the Monstro anyway! If you sell it I wont speak to you ever again :twak:

Therefore, I change my opinion. A nice 2005 Colin Edwards rep RSV-R AND keep the Monstro.... sorted ;)

J.P
05-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Jerry's right about the first run of the new model being a worrying purchace, BUT the RC8 looks NUTS !
You've gotta buy one of those Markus.

giler
05-12-2007, 09:33 AM
RC8 does look the nuts. KTM's are quality bits of kit, but why not hang on to the monster and get 999 like Gilps said.

Bodybag
05-12-2007, 10:22 AM
You'll not enjoy the Mille, its big and you're not! Sorry mate but I think you'd struggle, not riding it but being stationary on it. As has been said before, try and go for a late 998S or R, Maybe even a 999R. The 999R is going for peanuts (there's one at £7250 on DSC at the moment) and thats a huge amount of bike for very little money!! It'll be a future classic as it wasn't very popular due to its looks but to ride its awesome!!

P.S. Don't forget the cost of proper full leathers, gloves, boots etc. if you're buying a sportsbike!!

neilbaldry
05-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Markus, go here >>

http://poly26.com/modele.php?mq=4&md=245

and adapt the fairing to go on your S2R, then change the seat and you got yourself a very cool retro S2R version of an MH900e

barbican
05-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Nobody likes the new Buell then?

Bodybag
05-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Nobody likes the new Buell then?

Stone him!! :D

JerryXt
05-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Stone him!! :D

I think Barbie has a cough harley too

Bodybag
05-12-2007, 01:25 PM
La la la la la la!! I am not listening. I cannot hear you. La la la la la!!

barbican
05-12-2007, 01:46 PM
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

neilbaldry
05-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Heresy!

people have been 'silenced' for less!

McMONSTRO
05-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Personally if I had the choice I'd be looking at a 1098 over a 848, because I get the impression that the 848 could be a bit of a rev hungry beast! Bit more supersport than superbike maybe, and I cant seem to get the wring its neck riding style!
I've riden a 1098s a couple of times, awesome bike, I'd have one tomorrow, but it costs about £15,500 with the obligatory termi's, which is a lot of cash, over twice the cost of my monny. Only reservation I'd have with the 1098 is its comfort over distance vs the S4R, which applys to any sportsbike I guess and the only way to find if you can live with it is go and buy one!
Now the RC8 certinaly ticks all the boxes, seen it, sat on it, and I liked it!and compared with the new blade, it felt like sitting on a armchair!
I feel sure it will offer the same sort of performance and handling etc as the 1098, which unless you are a MotoGP or WSBK god you will never get close to the limits, and I guess its going to be a very desirable bit of kit, 2% voted for the new 696 monster as against about 28% for the RC8 being the best bike at the NEC (oh dear!)
Oh and it costs £10k!
But....its not a Ducati!

McMonstro

neilbaldry
05-12-2007, 04:07 PM
McMonstro, like you say, only SBK and GP gods will ever get the 'best' out of these bikes (and then, the 'best' is what it will do on a track, not the road), and with the 848 being a bit more revvy (much like the 748 over the 916/996/998, and the 749 over the 999) than the 1098, wont it be a bit more of an involving ride for the road? having to change gears more and think about corner speed? i can only talk about the bike mags i read as i havent ridden many of the Duc superbikes/supersport bikes, but they tend to say the smaller capacity bikes (748/749) are more rewarding than their bigger brothers. plus, when it comes to suspension and brakes, the 848 is still pretty damn good, and will be a major upgrade to the S2R which Markus is currently riding. And i hasten to add, plenty good enough for the British roads.

JerryXt
05-12-2007, 04:27 PM
IMHO, sports bikes are for tracks. They're a pain in the butt on the road but they come together on the track.

My little 748R is great on the track but I never want to ride it on the road again. There's no point. The monster is far superior on the road, just like the R is better on the track.

Seriously, a 170bhp rice burner on the road???? It's too much for most race tracks.

Just my opinion.

Bodybag
05-12-2007, 04:58 PM
IMHO, sports bikes are for tracks. They're a pain in the butt on the road but they come together on the track.

My little 748R is great on the track but I never want to ride it on the road again. There's no point. The monster is far superior on the road, just like the R is better on the track.

Seriously, a 170bhp rice burner on the road???? It's too much for most race tracks.

Just my opinion.

I have to say that I agree with you 100% Jerry. But, and its a big but, there's a mentality in the British biking world, just as there is in all areas of the British mentality that we have to be "Bigger, Better, Faster, More"* than the next bloke but without being ostentatious. Superbikes are the perfect way to show this off. If you look at the rest of Europe, Sports bikes aren't nearly as popular as they are here, but its frowned upon if you have anything fast other than a superbike over here. You're almost considered to be a chav for having a Street-fighter, although the monster is the exception to the rule.

I'd say to Markus, don't get rid of the Monster as you'll always regret it, but do try ALL the different models that interest you for comfort, fit, speed, handling. THEN and only then make a decision otherwise you'll regret it.

P.S. Wanna buy a 749S? ;) :rolleyes:

*Attributable to 4 Non-Blondes for their album of the same title. :D

neilbaldry
05-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Markus, you should buy a Ducati SportClassic Sport 1000S

jerry
06-12-2007, 02:41 AM
The new Buell has a Rotax designed engine , but it is not the same as the Rotax design for KTM.

desmo
06-12-2007, 02:10 PM

I have had loads of sportsbikes over the years (CBR 600) (3x Fireblades) ect before converting to a Monster, would I go back to a sportsbike? not a chance, what's the point with ever tightening speed limits & penalty's for excess & more traffic than ever.

In actual fact, my Monster is the only bike that I have ever owned that I cannot bring myself to trade in, so I am going to keep it & I have just ordered a brand new (for March 08 reg) black S2R1000 to keep the 800 company in the garage :mand:

JerryXt
06-12-2007, 02:40 PM
I have had loads of sportsbikes over the years (CBR 600) (3x Fireblades) ect ...

I was just getting the asbestos suit out :chuckle:

Now, not happy with KTM and I think a lot of sportsbike owners are going to have the same problem...

When I looked at the bike, I looked at sensible things like dealers and servicing. Ah, I thought, there's a KTM dealer down the road - I can get it serviced there. So, first service will be due soon, time to book.

hello, I'd like to book my first service

ok, what bike do you have?

950 SM

we don't do those

WHAT!!! My nearest dealer is now 20 miles away across London.

Apparently I should have known that the tiny print saying 'competition' next to 'dealer' meant that they don't service road bikes. Perhaps 'mud pluggers only' would have been more helpful.

REALLY not happy. I've got the UK MDs name and I'm going to give him a piece of my mind.

On a positive note, Andy at Hyside in Essex (also a Ducati dealer) has gone out of his way to open early, get the bike booked in and lend me a bike to get home again. What a nice bloke!

They're going to do the first service - SIX HOURS (they've got to check the valve shims - at the first service?!?!?!?!?) - at a discount too cos I bought the bike from them.

has this restored your faith in KTM?

no, but you're a Ducati dealer, so I knew you were alright :D

F*****g KTM. Great bike, ****e backup.

J.P
06-12-2007, 02:57 PM
May be they canlend you a RC8 while the SM is being serviced Jerry ?

JerryXt
06-12-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure if they're the right kind of ktm dealer to have one. Bl**dy ridiculous.

Seriously, if you bought an Audi and took it to your local dealer for them to say 'I'm sorry but we don't do those', you'd be outraged. Or p*ssed off.

I'll probably be offered one of those hideous Adventure things. But I'lll take a 1098 :D

markus
06-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Ok - I'm off the KTm a little, well the RC8 anyway.....still tempted as always by a superduke!,
What I have decided is that the monster is staying - even if it's just so Thumper doesn't disown our friendship!

Therefore, as i want to keep running costs down on a second bike (which rules out any duke beginging with a '9' or '7') so my new thoughts are.......

a carbed pre 97' 900 sl (i've wanted one of these forever!)
A project monnie carbed 900
Still thinking about a mille - Bodybag - wise words, but i've never listened before, probably not going to start now....in fact why am i writing this thread? it's all about me....me me me and i want i want i want!.......yep I'm a child and proud of it...........ha ha
or..........wild card entry here...........a tourer...yes a tourer, i'm not prud but i wana go places too

Oh and if anyone mentions that hideous plastic elephant man of the bike world buell again i'm going to buy one of those then park it outside your house so everyone thinks you're the tastless fool!, actually i win nothing out of that, i'll....i'll, well i'll sulk they're horrid is all

barbican
06-12-2007, 06:38 PM
OK so you don't like Buelllls................. you want a tourer.............hmmmmmmmmm Carbs hmmmmmmmmm vtwin hmmmmmmmm

Only two options then

A ****** ******** or a **** *****

I'm to scared to say them out loud:biggrin:

JerryXt
06-12-2007, 06:46 PM
La la la la la la!! I am not listening. I cannot hear you. La la la la la!!

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Thumper
06-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Yay Markus and Lady in Red are back woohoo!! :D

Markus... Milles and your (ahem) size. Sorry Bodybag but I totally disagree. Handling a large bike is all down to experience, technique and confidence. Markus is pretty much similar to me, slim and I'm 5ft 8. I have owned a number of large bikes from an RF600R, Z1000 to a TL1000S, very large, heavy tall bikes. I have also ridden a few Milles including a 2006 Colin Edwards rep, didnt struggle at all. If you are confident enough you can ride anything. I have also owned a CCM R30 a 640cc supermoto, I could only get 1 toe on the floor and never dropped it once. You learn to adapt. Slide a bum cheek off to get a better footing, look for raised curbs and avoid cambers like the plague ;)

Markus, dude you only live once, get what makes YOU happy. You've always wanted a dry clutched Ducati, especially a 900, seems like your heart has been with that for a while, well at least since I've known you it has.

Finally... I have secretly wanted a white Firebolt since they came out :gay: :p :D

Bodybag
06-12-2007, 07:02 PM
or..........wild card entry here...........a tourer...yes a tourer, i'm not prud but i wana go places too

I've heard those BMW thingummyjigs are fairly reliable in a sort of "round the world" way. I even saw one do a wheelie on the old television set the other day. :D

Thumper
06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
hahahaha, my mechanic has the R1200GS, never gone wrong and he loves it, loves it so much he sold his ZRX1200 to keep the Beemer.

Still not sure how Charley Boorman manages to hoist such huge wheelies on them tho :scratch:

neilbaldry
06-12-2007, 07:16 PM
the newer shape milles (with the twin exhausts) arent that big. i bet markus would fit on a doddle!

jerry
07-12-2007, 04:12 AM
BMW s are good but so tall as are many modern bikes , they seem designed for 7'6'' basket ball pros or sports bikes that chiropractors must love for the patients they generate .

I like monsters , old Buells and some Triumph models because the seats and riding position is for real people.

markus
07-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Right then boys and girls (and Thumper I'm feeling the love! - and oo oo oo I need you soon for a little help....I'll be a calling!)

After lots and lots of thought.......it's either an older Mille, I really want a silver one as it looks like my old RS250 (god i loved that bike!), I can't afford a newer one and as my first big sports bike i think it'd be fine, and hey i reckon i could tour on that or a carbed 900 ss/sl cause i really really love m and want a dry clutch so much it hurts!!!

I'm putting the house on the market early january, so hopefully the remortgage will come soon after if (fingers crossed) the house sells quickly and i find my new dream palace quickly and easily then the hunt as they say is on!!!!
Oh yeah and my little red rocket (my girlfriends daughter named my monnie that - how cool, she's 4 and already has taste ha ha) will be staying for ever and ever - oh yeah and it's gonna be looking quite different come spring too!

Thumper
07-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Woohoo! Nice one, silver Milles look lush, On Yer Bike had one when I was last in there!

neilbaldry
07-12-2007, 04:16 PM
an SS would be good, as its pretty fast, and quite tourable.

im thinking about doing a project next year with my bro. i might try and tempt him into the land of the 2strokes! im thinking KR1-S, RGV250, RS250, or maybe something a little older, like an NSR or an RG?