PDA

View Full Version : We need to stop this!!

Bodybag
03-12-2007, 10:29 AM
http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=6886506

What more do I need to say?

What muppet thinks we need to open up to foreigners in such a way. This is Britain, thats our national Anthem. WTF do the government think they're doing?

J.P
03-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Absolute tosh. You can't change history.

mad_turnips
03-12-2007, 10:39 AM
we already dont sing the bit about killing scots what more do they want ;)

Chris & Nean
03-12-2007, 10:45 AM
We could always adopt the sex pistols version

banditloon
03-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm with Billy Connolly on this! Change the National Anthem from God Save The Queen to The Archers theme!! :thumbsup:

Kato
03-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Its a crap anthem that has no meaning to anyone apart from the bloody queen....scrap it altogether.

STIVH
03-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Yeh forget the Welsh, Scottish and the Irish and all the other foreign buggers they have there's so why can't we have ours

http://anthem4england.co.uk/modules/wordpress/?cat=20

and if they need a general anthem well stick Brian May and the rest of Queen on stage and let them do it without the words.

JerryXt
03-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Its a crap anthem that has no meaning to anyone apart from the bloody queen....scrap it altogether.

this from the man who's planning his emigration :D As I told you yesterday, you're so nearly a saffer you should sign up :chuckle:

These bloody politicians are just finding themselves work to do. Bunch of clowns.

Dave G
03-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Its a dirge in support of a frump, get rid of it(and her/them!).
The scots have their own unofficial anthem in flower of scotland,no reason for england not to have one too.
however, as jaunty tunes go 'rule britannia' is a much better anthem for the country.

(Though the archers gets my vote)

Nonnie
03-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, little by little indigenous persons are completely stripped of identity, history and anything else once considered important.

I am blaming Jeremy Kyle for the whole thing.

Little loud mouth **** encouraging the lower classes to mouth off all the time instead of sorting it out. I seriously hate the little twat.

I'm zipping up my boots and going back to my roots.

MilesB
03-12-2007, 12:28 PM
As national anthems go, the current dirge in praise on the monarchy just irritates me... it's totally uninspiring.

I think we should make "Rule Britania" the new anthem - then nobody would worry about inclusiveness :mand:

Nickj
03-12-2007, 12:45 PM
we already dont sing the bit about killing scots what more do they want ;)

If we reinstated this part and also extended the grouping enough then it would be inclusive..
See there's always an easy answer to these things :biggrin:

David Matthews
03-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Nothing wrong with Jurusalem or if you're feeling cynical, The Clash's This is England is pretty expressive and preferable to the naff football anthems we have to endure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUhCfnaxY9k

Dave G
03-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Nothing wrong with Jurusalem or if you're feeling cynical, The Clash's This is England is pretty expressive and preferable to the naff football anthems we have to endure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUhCfnaxY9k

Jerusalem was written as an anti establishment song by Blake, its really ironic that its now seen as an English hymn. I never even heard it until I moved to england in the eighties and think its as dirgey as the current Nat anthem.

Cant better New Model Army- Smalltown England;)

gremlin
03-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Even Jerusalem is under fire for not being inclusive. I don't suppose there are many minorities in the WI though. Although I'm surprised the thought police haven't had a go because it's for women pretty much exclusively.

MilesB
04-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Just realised, I should have voted for "Land of Hope and Glory", although it seems to be more of the former and less of the latter nowadays!

jerry
06-12-2007, 02:44 AM
ANARCHY IN THE UK by the sex pistols or Elgars pomp and circumstance would be superb anthems for the YUK .

Mr Cake
31-12-2007, 12:04 PM
think we should make "Rule Britania" the new anthem - then nobody would worry about inclusiveness
But we're already a door-mat for the rest of Europe to wipe it's feet on.

Dave

Capo
31-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Just realised, I should have voted for "Land of Hope and Glory", although it seems to be more of the former and less of the latter nowadays!

That needs to be chaged to "Land Of Dope And Cory" :chuckle: