PDA

View Full Version : Am i getting tooooo old?????

dunlop0_1
30-11-2007, 05:56 PM
At work yesterday me and the lad i work with just chatting when on the radio came Jimi Hendrix with Voodoo Child, top tune i cried. Damon (the lad, well he's 22) turned to me and said, WHO'S JIMI HENDRIX..... Ok i was only 4 in 1970 when he died but come on :dizzy: i thought everyone knew who Hendrix was, or is it me?????? :confused:

Headhunter
30-11-2007, 06:01 PM
No! He just hasn't lived.

Anyway by the age of 22 he should have gone through the smoking pot and doing drugs stage of his life where he would have had full appreciation for the marshall.

gremlin
30-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Must admit I wasn't into Hendrix when he was alive but now I'm really enjoying him. Being of sixties vintage I guess I was too young to appreciate the Beatles etc but got into Bowie, the Stones, King Crimson and Pink Floyd in the 70s. Mum didn't do rock or pop so I only got into it all in my teens. It's weird hearing covers and knowing you've heard them before, then getting looks when you say "I remember this the first time round". Or worse being told "oh I didn't realise you were that old". We have kept up with the latest groups so it's quite cool when Clives kids come up and ask to copy stuff. I just hope some of the youngsters start to appreciate the older stuff instead of just hip hop and gangsta rap. My daughter is really getting into Floyd at 22 so there is some hope!

Nim
01-12-2007, 01:19 PM
hmmm...i was into hendrix when i was about 13, so obviously he's just stoopid!!! :)

Bodybag
01-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Although I'm only 35, I listen to Radio 2 in the van. The lad I work with (who happens to be 26!!) Doesn't recognise about 90% of the music on there and accuses me of being old fashioned and out of touch. Am I? :(

gremlin
01-12-2007, 03:11 PM
No, Radio 2 plays some really good stuff! It's always a good mix of decent new stuff and older. I'm of the Radio Caroline generation and I really wish there was a station that could match it for the range of music. I suppose I do qualify for the TOG club being 11 years older but I do appreciate loads of new bands, I just don't like most hip hop much and hate gangsta rap which Radio 1 seems to play all the time. Having said that I have liked some of Eminems stuff.

Mand
02-12-2007, 03:41 PM
At work yesterday me and the lad i work with just chatting when on the radio came Jimi Hendrix with Voodoo Child, top tune i cried. Damon (the lad, well he's 22) turned to me and said, WHO'S JIMI HENDRIX..... Ok i was only 4 in 1970 when he died but come on :dizzy: i thought everyone knew who Hendrix was, or is it me?????? :confused:

My lad who is 15 knows more about Hendrix, The Who, Cream, etc. because he has been dragged up proper.. :mand:

David Matthews
02-12-2007, 04:10 PM
My kids are 22 and 25, when a rock classic is played it's 'I think I might have heard it before' just to humour me.

It's the same with films, they were watching one starring Brad Pitt, I said that Robert Redford produced it, 'who's that?' Dustin Hofffman and Paul Newman are similarly unknown

Mand
02-12-2007, 04:15 PM
My kids are 22 and 25, when a rock classic is played it's 'I think I might have heard it before' just to humour me.

It's the same with films, they were watching one starring Brad Pitt, I said that Robert Redford produced it, 'who's that?' Dustin Hofffman and Paul Newman are similarly unknown

Introduce them to Wikipedia. :chuckle:

PS Don't blame them, they will learn eventually. In the 80's I thought a mullet cut and "Iron Lady" lipstick was the way forward.......

SEAGUL
02-12-2007, 06:58 PM
i am only 21 but i have full apreciation of the old school rock, jimi hendrix is one of my heores and an absolute legend along with the who, led zeppelin and acdc to name but a few, i think they must be crazy not appreciate that type of music is all i can say :D

gremlin
02-12-2007, 09:24 PM
The problem is that Radio 1 doesn't play that type of music and kids won't listen to Radio 2 because it's for us oldies. Unfortunately they miss out on so much because of it.

squiffything
03-12-2007, 06:41 AM
The car CD currently has amongst others: Hendrix, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, T.Rex and a couple from the Travelling Wilberys. I feel it's my duty to have the girls listen to this quality we as parents have a moral duty to do our best to bring them up correctly don't we?

The little one is currently rehersing for her school chrimbo production which has them singing their version of.........

Kids in America! she thinks its great and it must be a knew song for her generation as she'd never heard it before. Why didn't we have good music like that when we were kids she asks. Last year it was Good Vibrations.

mad_turnips
03-12-2007, 08:20 AM
am 24 was brought up listening to Pink floyed and hawkwind ( as well as alot of welsh rugby songs that made my mum look more than a little uncomfortable)

nambduke
03-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Both my lads (19 & 13) have been exposed to a wide range of music through there young lives.....

There is one story which is a family gem :woot: when young Richard Nambduke used to sing along to that well known 'Free' song.........Old Rhino!!! Come on, name that tune.........

Next time you see young Richard......sing the song out loud....see if he blushes!!

Regards,
Mark Namduke

gremlin
03-12-2007, 04:18 PM
We introduced grand daughter to James Brown, it was the only thing that shut her up when she started bawling. Come back Caroline it was such a good mix of music. As a teenager I used to sit in my bedroom with the radio on, and when mum told me to go to bed I used to keep listening with the radio under the covers, it was so haphazard whether you'd get it and of course the ships sunk.

dunlop0_1
03-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Man it's great not to be alone on this, do find it quite funny though. Makes me feel good that my son is in his second year at college studying music, not classical but playing instruments forming bans and recording songs. Oh he wears a Hendrix t shirt with pride to...........:yoparty:

Capo
03-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Bet he knows what the buttons on a play station are for.