PDA

View Full Version : Moral dilemma

jerry
27-11-2007, 02:30 PM
I have a buyer for my S4 , which as many of you know , i have a respect/hate relationship with. unlike my m750 in the UK and old m900 which is/ was LOVE LOVE .

But the buyer is a big bike virgin and i really worry about selling an S4 as a first big bike especially in thailand . i told the guy who is Italien that a HD would be better here as a first big bike , for maintainence ,service parts and most important speed , HDs are good here as they suit the cruiser environment.The duke requires skill and concentration to a degree far exceeding an HD.He has his heart set on a red Ducati and nothing else , he has plenty of money.

I know it caveat emptor and the guy is willing to pay my asking price for probably the best S4 in thailand but i worry that he is going a step to far , he is a mature guy but i am not sure what to do.

If i sell the bike what do i replace it with, options are Triumph 900 bonneville, carbs Buell M2 carbs ,harley 1200 sportster carbs ,Ducati M900 carbs.

jerry

squiffything
27-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Jerry you have met your moral obligations by pointing out to him the pro's and con's of owning and running the Duke as his first big bike in a country that doesn't suit it. He still wants to buy and has the money so let him get on with it. If it doesn't suit him then he can sell it on thats his choice but as you want to sell and he wants to buy then do the deal.

If on the other hand you don't really want to sell (and we can all understand the reasons why - It's a Monster :) ) then keep your baby and enjoy it is yours after all.

JerryXt
27-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Jerry, if he's got cash he knows Italian stuff can be tempramental and aren't cheap.

My first bike was a CBR600. I'd say personally that my Rs is easier to ride than the CBR and the power isn't an issue if you don't rag it.

PhilLew
27-11-2007, 03:15 PM
If he is a big bike virgin and doesn't have your experience of other bikes, he's not going to know the difference.

Once he's mastered the Duke (the bike of his dreams and the best one available in the country) any other bike he gets will be a doddle in future.

It may also improve his riding ability and skill level whilst he's still in learning mode and stop him becoming lazy and complacent rider.

Sell it, don't look back, and go buy somthing you can love!

Scotty
27-11-2007, 05:40 PM
I think you can get surgery to remove Moral's

get it sold whilst you have a buyer if that's what your doing

Nickj
27-11-2007, 06:02 PM
If you've advised / warned him then you've done what you can, I guess it depends on how you'll feel if he does ignore what you've told him. From what I've been told the normal Thai driving habits can be a bit hairy, if he is used to that and has riding experience then he will probably be OK as long as he does realise quite what he is riding.

Nim
27-11-2007, 06:21 PM
he should be fine as long as he doesnt get too over excited with the power...the first bike i ever rode was an S4 :)

Capo
27-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Is he Thai

Nickj
27-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Jerry said Thaitalian Capo

gary tompkins
27-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Cash in Jerry... or offer a discount in return for a night out with Ting Tong?

jerry
30-11-2007, 12:20 PM
If I sell the bike , what do i replace it with, options are HD sportster, 1200, Triumph Boneville 900, Buell M2, Monster 900 /carbs or GT1000 classic duke.

also BMW and Japs but I wont go that route .

????????

jerry

JerryXt
30-11-2007, 02:30 PM
if you want another monster, go the 900 route. The buell is supposed to be good, but you know how to get the best out of a monster.

I'm looking at a KTM 950 supermoto for commuting on - good discounts in England right now.

ducrissi
30-11-2007, 03:21 PM
you've warned the guy all you need to and he probably already knows anyway.... if he's got his heart set on it fine..

I was 'almost a big bike virgin' when i got my S4 (ok almost a virgin doesn't really make sense :o but i rode an ancient gpz 600 for 2 months while looking for my dream bike but thats all!)

I still love mine and am still grinning like a loon!