PDA

View Full Version : Headbanging for ideas on Starting.

STIVH
26-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Okay folks Ziggy has finally given me grief

3 weeks non stop hurtling up the M61 to Blackburn and back every day in some of the coldest most miserable wet weather has put payed to the starter button which unbe-known to me got stuck in it's little rescess so after 41 miles coming home I find I had ridden for some distance with the starter constantly turning over - bloody loud pipes!!!

So strip button and degrease and then rebuild, squirt a bit of double-U-Dee wonderful 40 and bugger me if the thing just doesn't start spinning with no key in the ignition and all the fuses out - finally stops after I flat the battery.

So remedy was to remove the mains wire supply to the starter from the solenoid as and when after I had started the engine - bit of a pain with cold wet cold fingers.

I am also assuming that it is a new solenoid required....................however is it likely to be somewhere else maybe an earth I haven't found - anyone else had a similiar problem.

Cheapest place to get a replacement Solenoid / Starter Relay also folks?

Albie
26-11-2007, 10:48 PM
solenoid. mine s4 didnt want to stop.:o

Sparky
27-11-2007, 11:47 AM
As Abie says it could be the starter solenoid.

Unplug the thin wires to the solenoid, if the starter motor is still running it's the solenoid if it stops you still have a problem with the starter button.

Chris

STIVH
27-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Cheers Chris I will try that, the button was fully stripped apart and cleaned and worked and as it wasn't until I "lubricated" it that the starter went off on it's merry way.

I am wondering if I may of forced some water under the soldered wires in the switch rod causing an electrical arc as the white block appers to be a sealed unit with two blobs of solder on it and the wires. Time to give it a blast with the air gun me thinks.

If this doesn't do the trick then I'll buy a new starter solenoid.

I knew I shouldn't of cleaned the bloody bike last week for the MOT. Dirt is such a wonderful protective layer on the thing.

Scotty
27-11-2007, 08:02 PM
ahh might just be the wd40 solvent bridging the gap , might 'fix' itself once its dried out ?

Nickj
27-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Check the switche goes on and off with a multimeter or bulb and battery??
Might be the solenoid has cooked itself into an always on position, it must have got a little warm!!
Again check with a multimeter or bulb and battery

dunlop0_1
28-11-2007, 06:59 AM
Had exactly the same problem with my 748, everything going and the key was in my hand. It was damp inside the yellow relay. Cost 6 quid from ducati and i dried out the wet one to carry as a spare.

STIVH
29-11-2007, 08:40 PM
well i have left everything stripped and hanging out to air as I am now in South Wales - fingers crossed it all work okay on my return next Monday.

STIVH
02-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Just got back from a wet South Wales

Enter the Garage

Gentley stroke the smooth lines of the fuel tank

Fondle the wires around the solenoid while gently replacing each one onto it's respective peg.

Ziggy stays silent

So press the button and let rip ................... starter whirls into action and stops on release of the button.

IT'S FIXED - NO CASH - NO REPLACED PARTS :yoparty:

A BLOODY GOOD RESULT - SO THANKS FOLKS FOR YOUR ALL YOUR HELP.