PDA

View Full Version : battery not 'trickle' charging any more?

paul44
19-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi
got any thoughts on this?

I hook my '04 620ie up to an optimate trickle charger about once a month as most of my riding at the mo is about 2x10 miles per day commuting (yeah, I know a bit dull!) so she run's down a bit over time.

Usually, no problem - stick it on overnight and come the morning she's fully charged. Never had no problems b4. Battery's about 3 years old & she's always had a quality annual service by the ultra-reliable chaps at Rosso Corse.

However, this weekend she won't play ball. Been on all weekend and doesn't appear to be charging back up at all. Sticking to the Occam's Razor approach…Do i need a new battery? Or am i missing an obvious thing to check or do with my battery first?

cheers

bod
19-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Has the optimate ran out of 'Trickles' you can buy spare ones:)

Seriousley though sounds like the bike is used regular so best bet is new battery time what does the voltage across it read when cherged?

Are the connection terminals dirty to the optimate....never had a problem withe my 04 620 except when leaving the parking light on!

PC Myers
19-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Probably time for a new battery - I just had a problem with a 4 year old battery : Optimate said it was ok, electrolyte tested ok and it turned the motor over but wouldn't start. New battery and all was fine....

paul44
20-11-2007, 05:18 PM
well, I figured this would be the answer. Everywhere i read people's batteries seem to give up the ghost after about 3 years. I'll try giving the connectors a clean and make sure they're a tight fit first & also try connectign the optimate directly onto the terminals of the battery & see if that makes any difference to it's charge… then go and buy a new battery when i discover it's made no difference!

Rockhopper
21-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Leave the Optimate on it all the time you are not riding the bike. Thats how they are designed to work.