PDA

View Full Version : Monster S4 - Was this bike yours?

Thumper
17-11-2007, 09:02 PM
As you know I collected this bike yesterday.

http://www.thumperzone.co.uk/images/Ducati/My%20S4.jpg

Its a 2001 model S4 on a Y plate.

I bought this bike from DWR in Aylesbury. I read all of the service history and the MOT in the book and nothing looked out of the ordinary. Today I was leafing through it again and I found an extra MOT certificate I didnt see last time.

In 2001 this bike was BLACK, in 2004 the bike is YELLOW

This bothered me so I just did an HPI check on the bike.

Its come back that the bike was definately black when it was "born". There is also a VIN error and that the number doesnt match the one they have on file. I have entered it correctly and treble checked it. Unfortunately the website doesnt tell me what it should be so I'll have to phone them up on Monday for some more info.

Its also come up as the mileage should be 254,000, although I am happy to accept thats an error on the website!

So... also in the history for the bike is some spare parts from Spareshack with a 10% discount offered for UKMOC member.

So this bike has belonged to a member on here and I would like to know if that member has any information about my new bike especially the colour change, the clutch recall and the note about "customer finds changing gear difficult with clutch issue".

So far I have ridden this bike home and for a few miles today and I am not 100% happy. Changing gear is very difficult, whether its just this bike I dunno but the gearbox is so stiff you have to be really positive, almost hard on the pedal to get it to engage in gear going both up and down the box, it also feels like the clutch is sticking and low speed is completely out of the question as below 30mph it stutters and jerks.

I am due to go back to DWR to collect my crash bungs which didnt arrive anyway so will bring this up then, but in the meantime if anyone knows who has owned this bike and they can help me out that would be great.

Cheers all.

David Matthews
17-11-2007, 09:16 PM
My previous Ducati had a different number on the frame to the one on the Vehicle Registation Document. I was told that this isn't uncommon on Ductis and it only came to light since the MOT system has been updated with the computerised system they use.

Thumper
17-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Oooo OK thats great.

I'm not that worried really about the colour as my 600 was "red"... it just faded in the sun and went pink :o

Just with the combined VIN error I was starting to play the jaws theme in my head and having horrible visions :chuckle:

Scotty
17-11-2007, 10:32 PM
try cleaning and lubing the gear change pivot

consider altering the final drive ratio

(think I'm on 15 -39 )

frame numbers umm I've just gone through this on my old SS 15 years old and only since I've had it has the wrong VIN code been discovered with the new computerised MOT system its nothing to worrie about I don't think though i guess that depends on just how different it is there were only two transposed numbers on mine and after the MOT I got letters and form to fill in and eventually I got a revised V5

the S4 is a bit snatchey at low rev's just ride round in 1st gear to keep the revs up

colour change is only the colour of the tank so its not exactly difficult to change could be down to replacing a Leakey tank or previous owner fancied a change and didn't think of the colour field on the long book

if the ride is very nasty at low rev's (like its firing on one) have a look at the front coil if its split like a sausage that could be a problem
the front 'plug hole' is prone to holding water if you ride in the wet (new coils at £100 a pop you want some grease around the neck of the coil to keep the water out

I'm sure Jerry will be along to tell you about the throttle position sensor = get a dealer to have a look at that

Thumper
17-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Excellent thanks Scotty, was hoping youde pop in and offer me some advice!

Pretty sure theres nowt wrong with the bike as it runs lovely, feels like iffy fuelling at low rpm, it does pop and burble with the cans on, maybe it needs a power commander or something to suit the cans (remus straight through).

As per usual I was too busy smiling on the test ride to notice any of this and I spent most of the test ride cruising through villages and looking at the bikes reflection LOL

Pleased I aint the only one with VIN issues, seems to be a common problem so thats OK.

Like I said, not too worried about the tank, mine went pink because the red tank was leaking and the pink bodykit was all that was on eBay and in my price range.

I'll get some grease on that front coil as this bike will be ridden through winter (boohoo). I'll keep it clean though and give it a bath regularly! :chuckle:

Thanks for the advice, I'll get this TPS doo-dah looked at too.

jerry
18-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I wony mention the TPS ..... ooops ,, gearbox should be easy they are usually quiet good , need revs and clutch synchronised for sweet changes.

Jerry

Nickj
18-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Wouldn't buttercup have been a better name? ;)

Thumper
18-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Nope its DaffyDuk, named by Christine, Stormies other half, very fitting I think!

Unfortunately the weather says NO for me going out to play and getting used to it :thumbsdown:

markus
01-12-2007, 07:02 AM
nice bike Thump!....................hmmmm seems like n age since i've been on here!

Thumper
01-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmarkus!

Yes you've been hiding away for ages, not much you've missed though as the sites been having a few health problems of late and was offline a lot. Good timing to come back though as it seems fine now :biggrin:

S4 MAD
01-12-2007, 09:53 AM
dont worry if their any thing like car vin numbers the vinnumber and vin number on the car its self hardly ever seem to be the same out a number or letter here and their.

:bunny:

yeharrr
01-12-2007, 06:16 PM
I've had my s4 since about April, love it. Gear box is good, but really good at higher speed. So yes, as some have said, not the best bike to ride in first in traffic, but not really a real problem - just not as smooth as some other makes. I just smile as I know how slick it is at speed. No problems with vin number, but had a right job getting the log book as it was on private plates and I reverted to the original - didn't want to pay the £500 the seller was asking for the plate. I ended up gtting a fine for no tax as it ran out and I couldn't re tax it or sorn it as the log book had gone missing in the system. I wrote to them and they agreed that it was unfair and waved the fine! Hoorah!! Nice clean looking bike you have, by the way - Enjoy.

Nickj
01-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Daffyduck does work better than buttercup LOL

gremlin
01-12-2007, 07:08 PM
When I got around to registering mine I had no documents and the numpties at the tax office wouldn't let me tax it and made me SORN it. It could have taken up to six weeks for the docs to come but they arrived after a month. It was so annoying, it was insured and MOT'd so I guess I could have ridden it illegally cos I wouldn't have got the fine but I'm a good girl so didn't.

Thumper
01-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Makes me feel much better reading this, thanks guys.

Had a serious issue today tho :rolleyes:

Got arrested for using false plates.

Seems Dave Wood Racing had 1 eye open the other closed as the numberplate with their little logo on the bottom is spelt wrong. It should read TKE and its YKE... PNC check says my Monsters a Silver Toyota Fabia :cry:

Was a scary time getting arrested for that, not displaying tax AND the colour change. Thankfully a bit of feminine begging got me UN-arrested and let off. No tax is because I applied for it online and the disc hasnt arrived yet, the colour is actually not my responsibility, DWR should have changed it but I said I would send the V5 off and sort the colour out, I was just going to wait until I got it resprayed.

Seems DaffyDuc is starting his life out like Pinky, 1 thing after another. Hopefully we'll get a clear run now and it'll stay that way FOREVER! :mand:

Getting much more used to the bike now. New Conti Road Attack tyres made a HUGE difference (hehe and some crash bungs) and I am getting better with the clutch and gearbox. Adjusting the gearlever down a bit has helped.

Thanks again!

crust
01-12-2007, 08:59 PM
ooh, a criminal in our midst

nice try, the old dsylexic plate maker ploy ;)

:) Crust

JerryXt
01-12-2007, 09:05 PM
crikey MsT, that's bad news. Good job you don't look shifty or you'd be in chokey!

Re changing the position of the levers, I did mone and it made an enormous difference. With most rice burners, you're supposed to leave them alone, but with Ducs, you're supposed to make them your own.

Thumper
02-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Hehehehehehe, me not a criminal, I'm a good gurl... with false plates :mand:

Funny you say about Jap bikes, I dont exactly have tiny feet but I have to adjust the levers on all my bikes, except Pinky. It was just a bit high on the S4 and I was having to lift my foot to change down, now its lower I can get a more positive shift down and up the box which is great!

Had to buy rearsets for my CBR400 as I just couldnt get the adjustment right on that one.

I am now off to fashion a lettter "T" out of black insulation tape :cool:

gremlin
02-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Glad you're getting sorted. Just shows there are times when being a girly is to our advantage. I must admit waiting for my docs was a little bit nervewracking, she'd been from pillar to post and although she came from a reputable source the fact that she hadn't got docs was a trifle worrying. You half expect the knock on the door and plod saying it had been stolen at an earlier date. I did check on the DVLA website to make sure the number was correct but it doesn't say if the vehicle has been stolen, or is a write off or sold with HP still owing, which would be a bit more helpful. As it turned out I found out the chain of ownership and it was a case of people not bothering, unfortunately all her service history etc got lost along the way as well. When I was working for a Subaru dealership we had plates issued for new cars and while I was out one day I saw a vauxhall with the same plate as my favourite customers Imprezza. DVLA was informed but they didn't seem that concerned. I left before the muddle was sorted.

madhatter
03-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmarkus!

Yes you've been hiding away for ages, not much you've missed though as the sites been having a few health problems of late and was offline a lot. Good timing to come back though as it seems fine now :biggrin:

Hey Thumper! :biggrin:

Welcome to the S4 Owners (We like Plumbing) Club!:thumbsup:

I think I've been off the site for even longer...big argument at work....resigned from job...found and started new job....trip to Ducati Factory in Bolognia etc etc. Must try to log on a bit more often now:o !

Thumper
03-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Woohoo Hi Steve!

All the Bucks rebels are coming out of hiding :spin:

Blimey sounds like you've had a bit of a hard time of late. Hope the new jobs going well, I am currently looking too, bad time of year to have no job eh! :on:

Would be nice to organise a 1 off weekend drinky at the White Horse for us lot.... wotcha reckon?

Nice to see you back tho, even if it is on a temp basis ;)

Markus is still hiding... probably in my front garden waiting to steal the S4's dry clutch :p

br1an
18-11-2008, 12:01 PM
I spent 6 months riding around on KX51 TXE, only when my bike was in Woods and was parked next to another Yellow Challenge S4 with the same number plate on that they realised mine was TYA. They gave me 6 months RFL for free and the buyer of the other bike had an extra owner on the log book.

marchesini
18-11-2008, 01:16 PM
In 2001 this bike was BLACK, in 2004 the bike is YELLOW

The original would have almost definitely been black - or more accurately grey (or Senna Grey as some like to call it). The red wheels are the giveaway as they were always matched with a black/ grey tank.

My guess is that the tank was swapped (for whatever reason) for a yellow tank which is simple enough to do. The grey tanks are less common than the yellow ones so perhaps it was harder to come find an exact replacement. I would guess that the original got scratched / dented etc and was then replaced with any colour tank with the view to getting it painted but then never got round to it.

The other tell tale sign is there's no matching seat cowl - not unusual as they do have a tendency to fall off on motorways which should match the tank colour.

Hope this helps

Simon

mintyhit
18-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Nice bike, and nice to see another s4 owner in Milton Keynes! Will keep an eye out for you.

James

Capo
18-11-2008, 05:40 PM
I don't think she has it anymore

Bodybag
18-11-2008, 05:56 PM
I just noticed the date of the original thread so I've removed my post.